ISO: Aquaponics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skilletlicker

Head Chef
I now live in a small apartment and my window doesn't get enough light to support a plant. I want to grow basil indoors probably in a terrarium with its own grow light(s).

Think there used to be a guy here who had a couple very nice high-end terrariums, large enough to support several plants. He had a few different herbs growing in each and sort of put you in mind of a miniature garden. At the time I thought they were too expensive to consider. Looking for them now though and can't find anything suitable at any price. Used the forum search tool best I could but didn't find anything.

Any ideas?

Do you actually mean a terrarium, or are you looking for something more along the lines of a hydroponic setup? I think of terrariums being something that's more decorative, hence my question.

As for growing basil, I purchased an AeroGarden (photo below) about three weeks ago. In that short amount of time, I've already harvested basil and thyme. Basil seems to do especially well. Other plants do not. The two pods on either side in the front are curly parsley and mint. The parsley only germinated a few days ago. The mint is just not growing very quickly at all.

The AeroGarden has its pros and cons. Pros are that you can put it almost anywhere, and it even looks nice enough to sit in the kitchen. Cons are that not everything grows real well in this environment.

I have one of the higher end units, which cost me about $230 on sale. But you can get some models for less than $70. Link below.

Shop for Indoor Gardens of All Sizes and Colors - AeroGarden

iQzq7Ep.jpg

Thanks, Steve. The ones I remembered were terrariums and the guy seemed at least as proud of how decorative they were as the production he got from them.

I'd never seen the Aerogarden site. They look nice. I guess you have to buy the seed pods from them but don't seem exorbitantly priced. Lettuce and cherry tomatoes are also available I see and have heard they both grow well hydroponically. Really gives me something else to think about.

Was also considering a wire rack with one or more hanging fixtures.
Like this.
wspY4Yqm.jpg

And these.
M7xl4qIm.jpg

Last edited:
Aerogarden looks neat.

Many eons ago, I had a lot of terrariums going. Any glass container can be used, I'd put a layer of aquarium gravel, a layer of charcoal, a layer of potting soil in the bottom, and plant. An old aquarium works well and gives easy access. Put under grow lights.

At one point I had 3 aero gardens growing at the same time.
Ive tried lettuce, many herbs and even cherry tomatoes.
Ive found that Basil, by far, is the crop of choice.
Towards the end of my aero garden route, I was only growing basil.
It would keep me going for months.
( Reason I had 3 was for the amount, and to stagger the growing cycles so I would never be 'basil-less', especially during the winter. Also, when growing things like romaine lettuce, after you cut the head off, its done. It grows really well, but limited to 6 or 7 heads then you have to wait a month or two for time to regrow.

I then switched to aquaponics, a system that grows on top of an aquarium. Has its own adjustable grow light. Has like 14 hydroponic cups to grow things in. Can use your own seeds, don't have to buy the seed pods from anyone ( which is good ,cause the aero garden pods cost about $15 per set +/-).

So far (year 3), I ve been doing really well with the aquaponics. I just get some cheap feeder goldfish ( 20 cents each) , and put them to work. The roots of the plants ( primarily basil), filters the tank beautifully, and the gold fish fertilize the plants, in return.
The basil plants last me throughout the winter ( off season). Nothing like picking fresh basil when there is a foot of snow outside.

At one point I had 3 aero gardens growing at the same time.
Ive tried lettuce, many herbs and even cherry tomatoes.
Ive found that Basil, by far, is the crop of choice.
Towards the end of my aero garden route, I was only growing basil.
It would keep me going for months.
( Reason I had 3 was for the amount, and to stagger the growing cycles so I would never be 'basil-less', especially during the winter. Also, when growing things like romaine lettuce, after you cut the head off, its done. It grows really well, but limited to 6 or 7 heads then you have to wait a month or two for time to regrow.

I then switched to aquaponics, a system that grows on top of an aquarium. Has its own adjustable grow light. Has like 14 hydroponic cups to grow things in. Can use your own seeds, don't have to buy the seed pods from anyone ( which is good ,cause the aero garden pods cost about $15 per set +/-).

So far (year 3), I ve been doing really well with the aquaponics. I just get some cheap feeder goldfish ( 20 cents each) , and put them to work. The roots of the plants ( primarily basil), filters the tank beautifully, and the gold fish fertilize the plants, in return.
The basil plants last me throughout the winter ( off season). Nothing like picking fresh basil when there is a foot of snow outside.
Hmm. :neutral: ...:idea: ...:huh: Aquaponics is a subject that gets deep quick.;) You've got me listening to a series of webinars from Iowa State University.
If you don't mind very much, I'd be interested in more details of your aquaponic experience and equipment.
I shouldn't have a dog due to health problems. Thought of fish but seemed boring. Maybe a pet ecosystem is on the horizon.

Last edited:
Skilletlicker, your shelf/shop light system is what I use to start my plants for the garden. Works great, and no need to buy the expensive grow light bulbs.

I don't keep mine growing all year long, but the thought of having fresh lettuce all the time is tempting.

Aquaponics

Was thinking about terrariums because the ones I was talking about came with grow lights. If I have to buy the lights, why not just use pots?

But...

Did some more reading about aquaponics today. Would take a lot more research and planning before starting but it seems possible one guy could eat tilapia once or twice a week and grow all the basil, lettuce, and tomatoes he could eat plus some different herbs and vegetable to boot; using less floor space than a small couch.

What about the smell? Aquariums don't usually stink much but this might be different?

Did somebody mention over-thinking the other day?

Last edited:
Our FFA kids aquafarm tilapia in a huge tank in their greenhouse, along with plants. I never noticed an odor, they kept the tank scrupiously clean.

Mine is a 20 tank ( has to be this size for the aquaponics system i got to fit on top).
I have 4 gold fish in there.
The above sold separately.

The system itself came with the grow lights, the rack to support the light ( which fits on top of the tank) and the tray/ cover to the tank which holds the pots, and the clay beads which go into the pots and act as the ' soil'.

I've never had any smell at all. I keep it in the basement .

Only labor involve after the seeds are 'planted':
-Feeding the fish daily
-Filling the aquarium every week or two with more water as it evaporates
-Raising the light so it is about 2 inches above the plants
-harvesting.

I literally had the same basil plants growing from November through about March. just kept pruning them whether it was for harvest, or to keep them under control and from hitting the fully raised light.

Ill post pics soon ( I think I posted them in another thread awhile back)

This is kind of what I'm imagining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVSEmwY2u0I
But I'm thinking of beginning with a slightly larger scale. If you replaced the wooden table his garden beds are sitting on with shelves like the ones pictured in an earlier post, you would at least triple the bedding area.

He says it is a 35-gallon aquarium. In the Backyard Aquaponics forum, a guy named DanaPT says, "I'm running a 130 gal system with 26 large tilapia and 150 smaller ones." So somewhere between the two sizes, one guy ought to be able to eat fish for dinner once or twice a week.

The YouTube poster says that set up has a 4' x 4' footprint. This is looking more and more doable.

Dawgluver, any way to change the title of this thread to Aquaponics?

Last edited:
Ordered a 20-gallon aquarium from an Amazon related vendor. Will need a bigger one soon but this will get my feet wet, not literally I hope.

Got the grow light. Aquarium delivers today.

Ordered first seeds.
  • Sweet basil
  • Sweetie Baby Romaine
  • Sea of Red lettuce
Getting excited. :D

Speaking of which, I am doing my very first grow tent now. I bought an easy to assemble grow tent which has intake and exhaust hood openings to attach ducting to. Then you run 4" or 6" ducting to a 4" or 6" inline fan to exhaust and/or intake fresh air. I just have one 4" $45 exhaust fan exhausting hot air out the grow tent. The reason is noise. The LED grow light is fairly quiet, but has two fans on top. Add in the sound of the exhaust fan and it starts to get a bit noisy. So I get away with a simple 120mm computer fan drawing cool air in at the bottom hood vent. The ducting at the top vent hood leads to my exhaust fan drawing warm air thru the ducting out to a partially opened window.

I tried using a MH grow light bulb (as pictured in Skilletlicker's reply), but my exhaust fan could not extract enough of the hot air from that very hot running MH grow light. As a result, I went to a cool running $139 LED 1000W equivalent grow light panel (only uses 148W actual wattage).

Sorry for the long reply, but I just had to share my first grow tent experience. Below are some of the components of my grow tent (pics are stock footage). It was both a challenge and a fun project to work on. My condo gets zero sunlight.

tent_pic.jpg

vivo-grow_light.jpg

vivo_fan.jpg

duct.jpg

Last edited:
Won't anyone wish me some luck on my International Space Station grow?

Don't overwater and a watched pot never boils?

Last edited:
Won't anyone wish me some luck on my International Space Station grow?

Don't overwater and a watched pot never boils?

I am hoping you get to grow all your own food and cut down on your grocery bill. Good luck with your endeavor for this new project. Here's hoping for all the success your deserve.

Bunches of stuff recently arrived or on the way. Decided on two 26 x 18 x 9 inch food storage boxes for grow-beds. Working out the plumbing details.

Steve, I'm blaming you for getting me into this. :)

Larry, would like to see your pictures.

Caslon, here's another one for you. "Don't let any turn go unstoned."

Last edited:
Hundreds of dollars into this and nary a single fish or vegetable. Still growing microbes and bacteria that will turn goldfish pee into plant fertilizer. Fish geeks call it cycling. :cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom