Dolcetta anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PanchoHambre

Washing Up
Anybody else like Dolcetta De Alba? It is one of my favorite types of Italian wines. It goes great with food and is very drinkable. I don't see it around as much as other types though.

Anyone else a fan

some good recs?

oh crud why do I always feminize the ending... Dolcetto woud be correct

it is an Italian Red from Piemonte... most commonly Dolcetto D'Alba ... nice everyday drinking wine great with tomato sauces and stuff... usually pretty inexpensive and tasty one of my favorites but there is usually not much of it on the shelves at more basic shops.

PanchHambre, about a year ago we fell in love with "Adesso...Cagnina di Romagna", which has since become our "table wine". (Cagnina = ca-nee-na, as there is no "g" in the Italian language). This wine is from the Romagna region, just south of Venice, since the 13th century, and has been called Cagnina since that time. It is grapey, smooth as silk, and unctuousley sweet.

Since we purchase this by the case, I'm not sure what the per bottle runs, but from what I remember, it runs between $12 and $16 per bottle. Being Italian, and eating many a dish that is made with tomatoes or veggies, this goes well with.

...about a year ago we fell in love with "Adesso...Cagnina di Romagna", which has since become our "table wine". (Cagnina = ca-nee-na, as there is no "g" in the Italian language)...

This information is incorrect. I speak Italian and there sure is a "g". The word for "cat" is "gatto"... ever have "gnocchi" (small potato dumplings)? The union of "gn" does produce a different sound in italian than in english, however the 'g' is not silent. Instead when found together with the 'n' they join to create a sound similar to the "ny" in the word "canyon". Therefore, "Cagnina" would sound more like "ca-nyee-na" if you use the 'canyon' guideline. Pronouncing it without that "ny" sound, the word could be misinterpreted as "canina" which would mean "canine".

I am familiar with the Dolcetto D'Alba from Piemonte, although I have only had it once. I did like it but would need to try a few more times to get a better impression. They are not easily found everywhere.

This information is incorrect. I speak Italian and there sure is a "g". The word for "cat" is "gatto"... ever have "gnocchi" (small potato dumplings)? The union of "gn" does produce a different sound in italian than in english, however the 'g' is not silent. Instead when found together with the 'n' they join to create a sound similar to the "ny" in the word "canyon". Therefore, "Cagnina" would sound more like "ca-nyee-na" if you use the 'canyon' guideline.

i am italian and i agree with "Seven S" for the italian Lesson.

But "Cagnina" is interpreted like "female dog", infact in italian Cane = Dog, Cagna = female dog and "Cagnina" is a slang word to mean "a little female dog". Finally the wine bites like a bitch =)

Dear Pancho, my father's family comes from Piemonte, so I'm very familiar with dolcetto, and all the other awesome Piedmontese wines. Among the red wines from Piedmont, dolcetto and barbera are my best choice, in all their variations across that beautiful region.
In fact, talking only about the DOC wines (DOC, and DOP, are Italian and European Union quality labels) we can taste dolcetto d'Acqui, your dolcetto d'Alba, dolcetto d'Asti, dolcetto delle Langhe Monregalesi, dolcetto di Diano d'Alba, dolcetto di Dogliani, dolcetto di Ovada... :ohmy:
As you can see, quite every corner of Italy proudly makes its peculiar wines, slightly (or not so slightly...) different front their nearby cousins.

As we say here, alla salute! :)

Last edited:
PanchoHambre hasn't visited the DC forum since Feb 5, 2009. :)

Is this wine we're discussing a sweet wine? ("dolce" can mean sweet, right?)

Last edited:
It's not unusual to get a bite in the arse from the past here on the forum. That's why some forums lock posts after a year or two...

I recall that "hambre" means hunger... Maybe Pancho starved shortly after his last post... ;)

I'm still wondering if "dolce" in the context of the wine's name means "sweet."

It's not unusual to get a bite in the arse from the past here on the forum. That's why some forums lock posts after a year or two...

I recall that "hambre" means hunger... Maybe Pancho starved shortly after his last post... ;)

Hi Greg! I'm ready :LOL:

The answer is no, this is no sweet wine: all the different varieties have a smooth, dry taste, slightly bitterish. "Dolce" means sweet both as noun and as an adjective, and "dolcetto" as a noun means a small sweet, but the name of the wine "dolcetto" comes from the sweetness of the grape variety used to produce it, not from the taste of the wine itself.

Ciao!

Dolcetto tends toward medium body and lower acidity. I find them to be somewhat like Merlot: fruit-forward, easy drinking, and a good pairing with acidic foods.

Incidentally, dolcetto is the name of the grape variety used to make it. I think Luca may have said that somewhere, but if not, it's worth pointing out. Sometimes Italian wines are named for the grape. Sometimes they are named for the region. Sometimes they are named for both (e.g. Dolcetto d'Alba or Dolcetto wine from Alba).

Last edited:

Dolce can also mean soft. In French the word "douce" is often used to mean sweet, but it mostly means soft.

I can understand if a wine is "soft", but not sweet.

Dolcetto tends toward medium body and lower acidity. I find them to be somewhat like Merlot: fruit-forward, easy drinking, and a good pairing with acidic foods.

Incidentally, dolcetto is the name of the grape variety used to make it. I think Luca may have said that somewhere, but if not, it's worth pointing out. Sometimes Italian wines are named for the grape. Sometimes they are named for the region. Sometimes they are named for both (e.g. Dolcetto d'Alba or Dolcetto wine from Alba).

Thanks Steve!
And sometimes they are named for none of them, like Pagadebit from the Romagna region, which literally means "it pays the debt" :)

By the way, the Merlot which I find here come from the Friuli region, and they are way "tougher" to drink, not an easy drink I mean.

Last edited:
Buon Giorno,

Thanks to Luca and Steve to upgrade this antique thread.

Steve: You are correct with messages on a bottle ...

dolce = sweet ( an adjective )

dolcetto = a red grape variety

di = of a place

al or alla = with

Have lovely wkend.
Ciao, Margi.

Thanks Steve!
And sometimes they are named for none of them, like Pagadebit from the Romagna region, which literally means "it pays the debt" :)

By the way, the Merlot which I find here come from the Friuli region, and they are way "tougher" to drink, not an easy drink I mean.
Luca, I think most European Merlot leans this way. Some new world Merlot is what I would call "serious", but mostly it's made in a lighter style that is intended to drink young. I don't know if I've ever had 100% Italian Merlot. I usually see it blended in some of the "Super Toscano" wines. I'll have to look for that.

Pagadebit - that's quite funny. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom