Brining chicken...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't brine chicken - or anything - because brining pulls water into the food. While that can help prevent overcooking, it also dilutes the flavor. I season chicken under and on top of the skin and let it sit for about 15 minutes before roasting (dry brining). I generally use a seasoning blend from Penzeys Spices. I use all kinds of flavor profiles, depending on what else we're having.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I don't brine chicken - or anything - because brining pulls water into the food. While that can help prevent overcooking, it also dilutes the flavor. I season chicken under and on top of the skin and let it sit for about 15 minutes before roasting (dry brining). I generally use a seasoning blend from Penzeys Spices. I use all kinds of flavor profiles, depending on what else we're having.

Hope this helps.
+1 - I do the same for whole chicken and turkey.

I don't brine whole birds, but I sure do brine all chicken breasts. I'll never cook another one (or pork chop) that hasn't been brined as imo, it vastly improves the results of both, and I disagree about it diluting flavor from either. You can get fancy and add other ingredients but all that is mandatory is the right Kosher salt and water ratio. I use 1/4 cup of Kosher salt to 4 cups of water. Cover the meat with the brine and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.

However, that ratio would not be correct for regular table salt. I don't even know what that would be so I won't guess.

Last edited:
I don't brine whole birds, but I sure do brine all chicken breasts. I'll never cook another one (or pork chop) that hasn't been brined as imo, it vastly improves the results of both, and I disagree about it diluting flavor from either. You can get fancy and add other ingredients but all that is mandatory is the right Kosher salt and water ratio. I use 1/4 cup of Kosher salt to 4 cups of water. Cover the meat with the brine and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.

However, that ratio would not be correct for regular table salt. I don't even know what that would be so I won't guess.

Mostly a Ditto ;)

However, I use the formula (think it is from America's T K) although I don't worry too much about the ratio. As I usually only do 2 pieces of either chicken breast or chops - Disolve 1 Tbsp Kosher salt, heaping 1 tsp sugar, large container of water enough to generously cover the pieces. They say a minimum 20 minutes but I do at least 45 min. and have even left them overnight. Have never noticed a difference in flavour due to times.

Also getting away from roasting whole chickens - I now spatchcock, better distribution of heat for even roasting. For some reason I also find it much easier to season them that way.

If I am grilling or smoking chicken it gets brined nearly 100% of the time.

Unless you pull back the skin and salt, v little salt makes it into the meat. Even then, salt penetrates extremely slow, even in a wet or dry brine for a couple hours.

In my brines typically I will add brown sugar, maybe some honey. The amount of sugar depend on if it's being grilled or smoked. Grilling can burn the sugar much more easily.

Then some small additions, little hot sauce, worcestshire, bbq sauce, whatever.

To me brining is like lightly salting the entire chicken. Nothing I have ever brined tasted salty. I brined pork tenderloin too long(16hrs) in a strong brine and think I started curing it, tasted really good, almost ham like.

Last edited:
Nothing I've brined in properly proportioned salt water has tasted salty to me either, only flavor enhanced. Salt is meant to enhance flavor. I don't salt my chicken or pork after brining, but use various spices or herbs depending on the meat.

I dry brine beef steaks by using more Kosher salt than you think you need, wrap it tightly in plastic film, and refrigerate overnight. Pat the meat dry, season and cook.

Remarkable steaks...

I dry brine beef steaks by using more Kosher salt than you think you need, wrap it tightly in plastic film, and refrigerate overnight. Pat the meat dry, season and cook.

Remarkable steaks...
Try leaving them unwrapped next time. Excess water will evaporate, concentrating the flavor of the meat. It's like dry-aging for a short time. I've done steaks and rib roasts this way for years.

Thanks everyone for the input.

As it turns out, I didn't brine the bird. Mostly 'cause after our every-two-week shopping trip, there wasn't any room on the fridge shelves to park the stock pot, and SO wanted the whole bird roasted with cornbread stuffing. So, tht's what I made.

I remember back when I was a little kid, my grandma always brined her birds. Again, I appreciate all the input.

And, a happy Mother's Day to all the ladies...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom