Chicken legs baked on a Sauerkraut base.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookwewill

Senior Cook
Sauerkraut is quite a typical ingredient to use in cooking, here in Slovakia.

We use it in soups, as a side, instead of pickles... it's been a traditional and cheap source of vitamin C during the winter and it's very popular to this day. You can even find some pizza places that use Sauerkraut as a topping :)

Today, I'd like to show you one of my favorite recipes that use Sauerkraut: Baked chicken legs with Sauerkrat, bacon and a side of potatoes. All cooks in one dish, so easy cleaning is a bonus :)

This is what the finished dish looks like:

wEJ3xby.jpg

Let me embed a video of the process too, it's very easy to follow I think. List of ingredients and simple instructions are below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6M4UIi9yVk

INGREDIENTS

1 kg quality sauerkraut
5 chicken legs
1 kg potatoes
1 large onion
200-250 ml chicken or beef broth/stock
3 cloves garlic
200-250 g diced bacon
2 tbsp sugar
3 tsp seasonings for the chicken I used a mix of onion and garlic powder and red paprika
Italian seasoning to taste
salt & pepper to taste
olive oil

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Add about a tablespoon or two of olive oil into a pot big enough to take all the sauerkraut we will use. In with the diced bacon, sliced onions and garlic. Sautee for about 10 minutes or until the onions become translucent and the bacon starts to brown.

2. Add the sauerkraut and 1 cup of chicken or beef broth or stock. Season with salt and pepper, add 2 tablespoons of sugar and cook for about 15 minutes.

3. Season the chicken legs with 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil that helps the dry seasoning sticking to the meat better. I’ve used 3 teaspoons of a seasonings mix: onion and garlic powder with red paprika. Salt and pepper of course and some Italian seasonings.

4. Form a thick layer from the sauerkraut mix at the bottom of a baking dish. Place the chicken legs atop of it and fill all the space between the meat with potato wedges. I've seasoned the potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper.

5. Cover the baking sheet with aluminium foil and bake at 220C (425F) for about 1 hour or until the meat becomes tender.

6. Remove the foil and keep baking for 15-20 minutes at the same temperature to broil the skin and potatoes.

7. Done!

Oh My GOODNESS!

Looks deeelicious!!!!

I have a question, do you rinse your sauerkraut? I know some do. Will it be too strong for the dish without rinsing?

I personally like it straight from the jar.
(often most of it doesn't even reach the stove, :blush )

Oh My GOODNESS!

Looks deeelicious!!!!

I have a question, do you rinse your sauerkraut? I know some do. Will it be too strong for the dish without rinsing?

I personally like it straight from the jar.
(often most of it doesn't even reach the stove, :blush )

Depends on how sour it actually is. Some brands are really sour to that extend it will squeeze your mouth when you try it :) Some on the other hand are almost sweet.

So I always try it and if it's too strong I briefly wash it. But usually I don't touch it and just add a bit of sugar. Removing all of the sureness by rinsing it thoroughly sounds like raping a good ingredient :)

Looks a lot like my pork chop and sauerkraut recipe. I do mine on top of the stove. I have never used chicken or cooked in the oven.

I will try both asap. Thank You!

Looks a lot like my pork chop and sauerkraut recipe. I do mine on top of the stove. I have never used chicken or cooked in the oven.

I will try both asap. Thank You!

The best part about doing it in the oven, in my opinion, is that it cooks slower and covered with foil, so there is enough time for the meat drippings to mix with the kraut and develop a more complex flavor. And being able to bake the potatoes at the same time in the same dish doesn't hurt either :)

Let me know how it turned out for you!

Ohhhhh My Gosh......you're speaking my language, and welcome to Discuss Cooking.

Actually, I don't really speak your language, but that "speaking my language" comment is American speak for a big compliment.

I have a German background, and my father would sure approve of this recipe.
I can't wait to make it and thanks for the very well done video.
By the way, what is your name?

Ohhhhh My Gosh......you're speaking my language, and welcome to Discuss Cooking.

Actually, I don't really speak your language, but that "speaking my language" comment is American speak for a big compliment.

I know that phrase and I'm glad we're on the same page :)

I have a German background, and my father would sure approve of this recipe.
I can't wait to make it and thanks for the very well done video.

Yup, Germans have a thing for Sauerkraut for sure, Slovakia (my country) is pretty close so our cuisines have a lot in common. Does crispy pork knuckle ring a bell? :) I should make that next maybe.

Thanks for the compliment! We had some issues with the mic, hence the weird sound and I'm still having a hard time to cook and speak in a foreign language at the same time, especially when there is a camera... but one step at a time, I will get there... maybe :)

By the way, what is your name?

It's Matej, nice to meet you :)

. Does crispy pork knuckle ring a bell? :) I should make that next maybe.

Thanks for the compliment! We had some issues with the mic, hence the weird sound and I'm still having a hard time to cook and speak in a foreign language at the same time, especially when there is a camera... but one step at a time, I will get there... maybe :)

It's Matej, nice to meet you :)

Soo funny! was just reading a recipe for crispy pork knuckle from a blogger in Australia! Sounds delish!

Your "mastership" of a foreign language is superb! (not sure if 'mastership' is even a word but as of right now ... it is!)

The word is "mastery". Cookwewill, I know that a lot of people who do cooking videos on YouTube add the narration afterwards, while they are editing the video. That would save you from having to speak a foreign language while cooking.

Soo funny! was just reading a recipe for crispy pork knuckle from a blogger in Australia! Sounds delish!

Your "mastership" of a foreign language is superb! (not sure if 'mastership' is even a word but as of right now ... it is!)

I'm not sure it's that good, but I definitely won't turn a compliment down, thanks :)

The word is "mastery". Cookwewill, I know that a lot of people who do cooking videos on YouTube add the narration afterwards, while they are editing the video. That would save you from having to speak a foreign language while cooking.

Yup, quite a few are doing this, but personally I don't like it that much. It sounds "artificial"... same tone, perfect wording... it's like reading a script and tends to get boring at times. I prefer a bit of authenticity even if it means a grammar mistake here and there :) And it's more challenging this way, we gotta set our goals higher, ain't that true? :)

But who knows, if the feedback is bad, I might change my mind of course.

I agree with you cookwewill, it does sound less staged when you do it live.

and it's a talent!
I can't even take a proper series of 'still' pictures while cooking. I might have a dozen prep pictures, then one or two actual cooking.

Then I eat the whole plate before taking the last picture!

who needs an empty plate? ... although I've been known to send a couple of those pictures to friends who were supposed to come for dinner and couldn't make it. I tell them that was their plate :rolleyes:

I can think of two YouTube chefs who I follow, one who usually adds the video portion afterwards and one who does it occasionally. The videos don't sound staged. They still let their personalities shine through. They are both native English speakers.

I can think of two YouTube chefs who I follow, one who usually adds the video portion afterwards and one who does it occasionally. The videos don't sound staged. They still let their personalities shine through. They are both native English speakers.

Yup, this definitely depends on a particular person a lot.

Back
Top Bottom