Lotus Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fried fish

Washing Up
Half a chicken, skinned and chopped into serving pieces
1 tbsp light soy sauce
Dash of soy sauce
1 big lotus leaf
3 dried mushrooms, soaked and halved
10 dried chestnuts (foong lut)
1 tsp ginger, shredded
1/2 tsp chopped garlic
2 tsp oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1 cup stock or water

Sauce:

2 tbsp oyster sauce
Dash pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp Shao Hsing Hua Tiau cooking wine or dry vermouth

Put chestnuts in a bowl and soak in 1/4 tsp salt water for 10 minutes. Pour hot boiling water over the chestnuts, then discard the hot water. Do this twice, then boil the chestnuts, covered with water in a saucepan for 10 – 15 minutes over a moderate heat.

Remove and clean chestnuts well. (This is done so that the chestnuts will taste creamy.)

Marinate chicken with light and dark soy sauce. Deep-fry chicken in enough hot oil until golden brown.

Heat oil and sesame oil in a wok, fry ginger and garlic until fragrant. Add mushrooms, chestnuts and stock or water. Stir in sauce ingredients and chicken. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes over a moderate heat until gravy is reduced to half its initial amount. Soak lotus leaf in water until soft. Clean the leaf and line the base of a heatproof dish.

Place chicken and the other ingredients into the lotus leaf, then wrap it up into a nice and neat package. Steam for 40-45 minutes. Remove the package. Open up the lotus leaf packet and serve immediately.

Thanks Fried! Sounds great! Can I use roasted chestnuts and how? We only get them here roasted already.

yes, I think that would give it so much more flavor.. when you add the mushrooms and the stock/water.. then add the roasted chestnuts, but I would chop them up.. not really fine, but coarsely... then procede with the rest of the recipe. I don't see any need to boil them, as I think that would destroy the flavor.

Back
Top Bottom