"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 67
Beginner Bread

I originally posted this in the wrong forum. I'm hoping the old post can be deleted.
----------
I tried making Sourdough in college (most people try drugs, I try sourdough) and it never really turned out well. 4 years out and I am thinking I want to get into bread baking again. I'd like to approach it again but this time starting with an easier white bread, moving into sourdough, then moving onto other types of bread. Can someone suggest a good blog/website/book/recipe for starting on baking bread?

Thanks.

kbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
My suggestion would be, as you said, become familiar with baking regular white bread first, then after making half a dozen loaves or so and you feel comfortable with your abilities, try a loaf of sourdough. Above all, have fun! Even if a loaf doesn't turn out, it's not a financial disaster... just a learning experience.

bread101_intro

Sourdough Home - All About Sour

Good Luck!
__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,803
And the majority of loaves that perhaps "don't turn out" perfectly, can still make wonderful homemade bread crumbs to use in other things!
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
luvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: da 'burgh
Posts: 9,674
if ya give yourself the boost & the go-ahead, you'll be great! delve into bread-making!
__________________
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
My suggestion would be, as you said, become familiar with baking regular white bread first, then after making half a dozen loaves or so and you feel comfortable with your abilities, try a loaf of sourdough. Above all, have fun! Even if a loaf doesn't turn out, it's not a financial disaster... just a learning experience.

bread101_intro

Sourdough Home - All About Sour

Good Luck!
Looks like good web sites but the bread101 site is ugly :)

I'm hoping to give this recipe a try in the next week or two. Work gets in the way of such pursuits.

Thanks everyone!
kbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,803
Are you using/do you have a KitchenAid mixer? Because I've been using the recipes in the booklet that came with mine (about 16 years ago) & they make fabulous bread! And I was a bread-making first-timer when I first tried them.

The French Bread (baguettes) & the Cinnamon-Raisen Bread are real crowd pleasers around here.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 67
I do not have a KitchenAid mixer. It is something I wouldn't mind. However, I don't have the space for one at this time so I am doing anything requiring a mixer by hand. When I get more space in another house, I'll probably have one.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
kbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbreit View Post
Looks like good web sites but the bread101 site is ugly :)...
Yeah, I agree!!!! It has solid information but it's as ugly as sin!!!

Unfortunately, my two favorite sites for baking info are pay sites. That's why I didn't mention them.
__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #9
Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 67
If I get some time I may offer to help them redesign their bread 101 site.
kbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbreit View Post
I do not have a KitchenAid mixer. It is something I wouldn't mind. However, I don't have the space for one at this time so I am doing anything requiring a mixer by hand. When I get more space in another house, I'll probably have one.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
I didn't have space for one either, then I bought one and made space. Ifn' you can swing one price wise get the mixer. Seriously.
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
Head Chef
 
Mimizkitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I didn't have space for one either, then I bought one and made space. Ifn' you can swing one price wise get the mixer. Seriously.
By the way Frank, how is Lucille??? Haven't heard much about her, is she treatin ya right???
__________________
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:03 AM   #12
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3
I have a post on for easy white bread that can also be turned into whole wheat :) It was delicious, even for the first time I made it! Please try it out and give me some feedback =)
5foot2Baking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
By the way Frank, how is Lucille??? Haven't heard much about her, is she treatin ya right???

Treatin me well, keeping me in bread she is.
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 20
I thought I had heard once that sourdough bread is harder to make in some areas of the country. Altitude, maybe. Is that true?
Gracie's Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #15
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbreit View Post
I originally posted this in the wrong forum. I'm hoping the old post can be deleted.
----------
I tried making Sourdough in college (most people try drugs, I try sourdough) and it never really turned out well. 4 years out and I am thinking I want to get into bread baking again. I'd like to approach it again but this time starting with an easier white bread, moving into sourdough, then moving onto other types of bread. Can someone suggest a good blog/website/book/recipe for starting on baking bread?

Thanks.
NYTimes Jim Lahey has revolutionized baking industry-beginner? on his method there is no beginner or pro-that easy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html
No no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #16
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cape Coral Florida
Posts: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by No no View Post
NYTimes Jim Lahey has revolutionized baking industry-beginner? on his method there is no beginner or pro-that easy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

+1,000,000

This bread is so easy and so good. It's also easy to add things to it. such as roasted garlic, cheese, chunks of white chocolate, etc.....
__________________
Burrowing Owl Brewery----Better things for better living...Through Debauchery and Inebriation
niquejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beginner, bread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.