Potato flour subs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I have a recipe for Hawaiian sweet rolls that calls for 25g potato flour. I may have some, but I’m doubtful. Can I sub 25g of potato flakes, which I’m sure I have?

I can definitely help you.

I've had recipes that called for potato flour. I called the folks at King Arthur Flour and was told that all I had to do to create potato flour was to take a quantity of potato flakes (instant stuff) and whiz it in my food processor or blender. I did that and have had nothing but great results.

In a nutshell....take some potato flakes and whiz the nuts out of them.

You'll be fine.

My grandmother made potato buns every tuesday. I stayed with her for the summer when I was 16. I gained 15 lbs. Those rolls were the best. THE BEST.

Yes Potato Flour is heck of confusing, for me who is not American.
I can find the same thing called Potato starch and sometimes potato flour isnt the same as the clean starch , it is flour made of the whole potato.

So I have to sit down and check orgin of the recipe and check what that area counts as potato flour . It is confusing.

These!

521945BE-A6D5-4AFC-8FE9-705966D5A685.jpg
Don’t you just want to make these?

Yes Potato Flour is heck of confusing, for me who is not American.
I can find the same thing called Potato starch and sometimes potato flour isnt the same as the clean starch , it is flour made of the whole potato.

So I have to sit down and check orgin of the recipe and check what that area counts as potato flour . It is confusing.
I have come across this problem at the store, where the packaging isn't always clear about which it is. You can't make rødgrød with potato flour.

Back
Top Bottom