Beyond Tuna Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A tin of curshed tomatoes, 100 ml of ajvar relish, boil for 10 min, add tuna, flavour with salt, pepper and serve over pasta.

That is quick dinner I have eaten a lot as young.

I've never heard of avjar relish before, so I looked it up. I love roasted red peppers, so this sounds delicious to me. Do you make your own? Or do you have a favorite recipe?

We're not fans of eggplant, so I would probably leave it out. I wonder how it would be with zucchini instead?

Here's one version: https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/ajvar/

A simple version of a salad nicoise using a can of solid pack tuna, green beans, grape tomatoes, hardboiled eggs, red skinned potatoes or white beans, ripe olives, pepper rings, etc... Is a good way to clean out the refrigerator

A basic dressing made up of equal parts lemon juice or red wine vinegar and EVOO with a little prepared mustard, a mashed garlic clove, and S&P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BJfsqzmeYg

You mentioned using canned chicken in the original post. I would encourage you to stay away from it and freeze small amounts of fresh roasted or grilled chicken meat. A couple small sandwich bags of chicken saved from a roast chicken, even a grocery store rotisserie chicken, will not be missed and will give you the starting point for a couple of inexpensive meals.

Good luck!

Ah, the famous Hawaiian macaroni salad. One of the official food groups of the State of Hawaii. Meat, vegetables, fruits, grains, legumes... and macaroni salad.

SPAM is a meat... of sorts, so it doesn't get its own food group. ;):LOL:

I'm not sure what poy is... is there a "paste" food group. :sick: :D

CD

Casey, my friend, try "Google" or Bing or Yahoo, whatever search engine you like "Zippy's Macaroni Salad"--- you'll find a boatload of forlorn ex-pat-Hawaii folks who would kill for this stuff! And I've finally figured out how to make it REALLY close--- and adding Tuna Salad to it, IMHO, makes it at least close to a meal :LOL:
Even DH, who detests mayo, likes my version.
screaming yikes.jpg
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/2013/01/15/my-quest-for-zippys-macaroni-salad/
And what an inexpensive meal at that --- a can of tuna (it's as cheap or splurge-ish as you like---I'm lookin' at you Craig ;) that stuff from Italy and Spain are DELISH!) add some pasta, a buck per pound ... and some veg that most of us have in our crisper bin and a good dollop of mayo.
Try it!

Now, poy, or POI as we refer to it, is made from a tuber.
Hawaii May 2012 073.jpg
I like mine on the old side, with a sprinkle of Hawaii Salt on top :yum:
My GAWD!
I can't wait to go home!!!
Hawaii May 2012 066.jpg

Sorry Joel, I don't want to high-jack your thread... carry on y'all :chef:

A tin of curshed tomatoes, 100 ml of ajvar relish, boil for 10 min, add tuna, flavour with salt, pepper and serve over pasta.

That is quick dinner I have eaten a lot as young.
Not sure what “avjar relish” is. Thank you, though!

When I am shopping, I will often buy four cans of tuna. Pirate gets three cans and I eat the fourth can right out of the can with a little bit of salt sprinkled on it. At a dollar a can, can my life get any cheaper?

Damnit! Where's my free case of tuna fish that was promised to me years ago as part of that class action suit settlement against a major tuna company? :LOL:

Last edited:
I came up with this recipe for a contest to create the most ridiculous, expensive recipe for an old stand-by:

New Age Tuna Noodle Casserole

Ingredients:

½ cup soy sauce
½ cup dry sherry
½ cup sesame oil
½ cup ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
1 tsp grey sea salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 lb Sashimi grade Ahi tuna
3 eggs
2 cups flour
½ tsp kosher salt
2 quarts chicken stock
2 Tbs butter
½ cup celery, chopped
1 shallot, diced
1 ½ cups haricot verts
1 clove of garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ cup olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp fresh thyme
½ cup sour cream
1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
½ cup camembert cheese, diced
4 ounces dry white wine
Pinch of nutmeg
¼ cup scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts
¼ cup carrot, diced small
¼ cup red bell pepper, diced small

Instructions:

Combine first seven ingredients (through black pepper), place in a plastic zipper bag, add the tuna and marinate for one hour. Remove the tuna from the marinade and discard marinade. Place the tuna in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water and cover. Steam for 6 to 8 minutes or until the tuna flakes easily with a fork. Flake the tuna and put aside.

Beat the eggs until frothy. Combine flour, kosher salt, and eggs to form a dough. Knead the dough until smooth. Turn the dough onto a floured cutting board and roll the dough, turning often, until thin. Let the dough dry for 45 minutes, then turn and dry another ½ hour. Cut the dried dough into noodles. Drop the noodles into boiling chicken stock, reduce heat, and simmer for about 5 minutes. Drain and put aside.

Sauté the celery and shallot in 2 Tbs butter and put them aside. Place 1½ cups haricot verts in boiling water for 5 minutes, then into an ice bath. Combine the tuna, noodles, celery and shallots in a bowl.

Finely chop the garlic and combine with the salt. Place the egg yolk and Dijon mustard in a bowl and whisk. Slowly add the olive oil as you continue to whisk. Once you've blended in all the olive oil, add the garlic, lemon, and thyme. Add the sour cream, gruyere cheese, camembert cheese, white wine, and nutmeg, then fold in the tuna, noodles, celery and shallot mixture.

Spoon all of the ingredients into a buttered 4 quart casserole dish. Bake at 350F for 30 to 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Garnish with scallion, carrot, and bell pepper.

I often post specific questions to which I can’t find definitive answers, but more often, I just like to spark a discussion.

Please don't stop. You ask very interesting questions that become the life blood of a forum.

Have ypu ever tried Korean samgak gkimbap? They are triangles of seaweed formed around rice with ingredients like tuna, kimchee, and other stuff that is a delicious lunch or snack.

Here's a link: https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/samgakkimbap

I came up with this recipe for a contest to create the most ridiculous, expensive recipe for an old stand-by:

New Age Tuna Noodle Casserole

After looking over your list of ingredients, it's not that overwhelming. A bit involved.

Hehe, kinda like ordering a pizza with everything on it. Anyone forgetting anything? :LOL:

Last edited:
Please don't stop. You ask very interesting questions that become the life blood of a forum.

Have ypu ever tried Korean samgak gkimbap? They are triangles of seaweed formed around rice with ingredients like tuna, kimchee, and other stuff that is a delicious lunch or snack.

Here's a link: https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/samgakkimbap
That sounds very much like Japanese onigiri. One of my favorites, but I’m so very bad at forming them!

That sounds very much like Japanese onigiri. One of my favorites, but I’m so very bad at forming them!

JJ, do you have a press?
I love mine, I have three right now, and when we go home to Hawaii, I'll be coming back with more!!

spam-musubi.jpg

maki-sushi-for-dummies.jpg

I have a nigiri press somewhere ...
But I use these two the most.
In Honolulu. there's a new food truck that I'll be headed for that only offers ogiri in some fantastic combos, can't wait!

JJ, do you have a press?
I love mine, I have three right now, and when we go home to Hawaii, I'll be coming back with more!!

View attachment 29693

View attachment 29694

I have a nigiri press somewhere ...
But I use these two the most.
In Honolulu. there's a new food truck that I'll be headed for that only offers ogiri in some fantastic combos, can't wait!
I love the onigiri made without nori, as well. Especially yaki onigiri, brushed with tare and grilled!

The subject of tuna, to me, is something I find somewhat distressing. In Sicily, when the the tuna come in to breed the blue tuna come into the Metiteraen Sea is warm, the Blue Tuna come into to spawn, the Sicilian fishermen hunt them in a brutal fashion. It's called 'la Mattanza', other wise in English, the Slaughter, or the Killing. It's when the tuna are hacked to death. The process of the killing is a slaughter that, for reasons I can't understand, makes the tuna delicious and it's highly prized in Japan.

So this is something that I have to check every time I look to buy a tin of tuna.

Nowadays, the Slaughter is a tourist attraction, but I always check to see that the tuna I buy is not slaughtered in that way.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Back
Top Bottom