"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 16
Catfish tastes like dirt

I bought two catfish fillets from the grocery store and pan friend them. Mine tasted fine, but my wife complained that hers tasted like dirt. I tried hers, and indeed it tasted sorta like what mud smells like, if that makes sense. Is this normal? I washed each fillet thoroughly before cooking them.

ch1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:34 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1719 View Post
I bought two catfish fillets from the grocery store and pan friend them. Mine tasted fine, but my wife complained that hers tasted like dirt. I tried hers, and indeed it tasted sorta like what mud smells like, if that makes sense. Is this normal? I washed each fillet thoroughly before cooking them.
Catfish are bottom eaters. That means they keep the bottom of the ocean clean. That is what applies to wild catfish. Farm raised ones have a cleaner taste. They are raised in large cement tanks. No dirt on the bottom.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:44 AM   #3
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 9,342
You should never let your catfish go outside to play before dinner.
__________________
I Luv Sandy Eggo!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,695
I have never been fond of catfish for that very reason - they taste muddy to me. It's in the flesh because, as Addie said, they're bottom feeders. You can remove some parts and/or soak it before cooking to minimize that flavor. Here's more info: http://www.cookingfishmonger.com/how...f-catfish.html
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I have never been fond of catfish for that very reason - they taste muddy to me. It's in the flesh because, as Addie said, they're bottom feeders. You can remove some parts and/or soak it before cooking to minimize that flavor. Here's more info: How to Get Rid of the Muddy Flavor of Catfish

Same here.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #6
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Catfish are bottom eaters. That means they keep the bottom of the ocean clean. That is what applies to wild catfish. Farm raised ones have a cleaner taste. They are raised in large cement tanks. No dirt on the bottom.
Most of the ones raised in Southern states are raised in dirt ponds (they are also freshwater species).

Catfish can definitely taste "off" for a variety of reasons.
1 is feeding off the bottom, this is why they are feed floating food. but some will find other things on the bottom to eat.
Another reason is low oxygen levels. Low oxygen creates stress and can kill off algae in the ponds. This is normally why they taste "off".

A sample fish or two are caught and tested a day or two before the harvest. Samples will also be taken during the processing. Even with these checks some fish from the same batch can taste and smell "off".
__________________
My blog https://jamesstrange.com/
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:28 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,016
Catfish tastes like dirt

Oddly, our Mississippi River catfish doesn't taste muddy, at least the ones I've eaten. But muddiness is a common complaint about catfish in general. Local, not imported, pond raised will probably taste less muddy for the reasons already stated.

Catfish is always the first thing my FIL orders when they visit from out of state. He loves our local catfish.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,742
Like so many others, I've eaten my last catfish for the chance of getting another muddy one.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Catfish are bottom eaters. That means they keep the bottom of the ocean clean. That is what applies to wild catfish. Farm raised ones have a cleaner taste. They are raised in large cement tanks. No dirt on the bottom.
I have never heard or have I ever seen anyone eat salt water catfish.
Edible catfish are fresh water fish. I'm certian there are peolpe who may eat salt water catfish. But for the sake of this thread, we are talking about fresh water fish.
Also, it seems to me in particular, it is the Asian, farmed raised, catfish that have the off taste.
Much of the catfish and even the talapia are raised overseas in muddy ponds. At least that is how I have seen them raised on TV.

I occasionally buy catfish fillets and rarely/never have any taste issues with them. I never buy the Asian raised and that seems to be where the problem lies.
I don't buy catfish much anymore as we are catching them in the lake.
Crystal clear cold water lake.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Like so many others, I've eaten my last catfish for the chance of getting another muddy one.
I will not buy farmed raised (tiger) shrimp for this very reason. Except they all have a funny taste to me.
This is one product at Costco they could eliminate for good.
The seafood guy told me if I didn't like them, he would give me my money back. I did not like them, but did not ask for my money back.
I just learned a lesson.
We buy seafood from Costco, but will never buy those tiger shrimp again.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:17 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,016
Catfish tastes like dirt

From what I understand, ocean catfish are best used for tarpon bait, not eating. Except for the tarpon.

I only buy shrimp if it's wild caught in the US.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #11
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 225
I've always thought catfish tastes like dirt, especially the ones the bf caught at the lake. (blech)

I only like them fried in heavily seasoned flour. I've never liked them panfried or cooked any other way.
Smokeydoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I have never heard or have I ever seen anyone eat salt water catfish.
Edible catfish are fresh water fish. I'm certian there are peolpe who may eat salt water catfish. But for the sake of this thread, we are talking about fresh water fish.
Catfish are also harvested in the Chesapeake Bay, which has varying levels of salinity, depending on how far the location is from the Atlantic Ocean. It's also caught in other rivers near the ocean and Gulf of Mexico; it likes moving water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Also, it seems to me in particular, it is the Asian, farmed raised, catfish that have the off taste.
I don't think so. I've noticed that flavor for as long as I can remember. I occasionally (every five years or so) would take a bite of someone's and remember why I didn't like it Then some years ago, I just decided, never again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I occasionally buy catfish fillets and rarely/never have any taste issues with them. I never buy the Asian raised and that seems to be where the problem lies.
Not everyone has the same taste buds (see the maple syrup thread )
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:03 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,264
It is my understanding that the catfish that are farm raised in the States are gathered and kept in fresh water tanks to get rid of the mud. After several days they are then harvested.

I like catfish - have never had a 'muddy' taste - and this is a person who is very particular about flavour and taste as far as fish is concerned!

I don't buy it too often as most available in my particular area is always "pre-seasoned" whcih I can't stand.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:33 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 16,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Also, it seems to me in particular, it is the Asian, farmed raised, catfish that have the off taste.
Much of the catfish and even the talapia are raised overseas in muddy ponds. At least that is how I have seen them raised on TV.
Interesting this thread should show up today because Glenn and I had a delicious catfish lunch yesterday at our favorite place. All their fish is raised locally and has never had any off or muddy taste. They come from folks who use huge concrete or tile tanks and are raised in clean water.

A friend of ours used to raise tilapia this same way and it was fascinating to observe the process. Sadly, his business went belly up when overseas production came into play.

As for the Asian/overseas processing of fish and shrimp, the slurry they live in is more than mud. It's largely sewage, which is why we never buy any frozen or fresh that lists anything foreign on its country of origin.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:44 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Interesting this thread should show up today because Glenn and I had a delicious catfish lunch yesterday at our favorite place. All their fish is raised locally and has never had any off or muddy taste. They come from folks who use huge concrete or tile tanks and are raised in clean water.

A friend of ours used to raise tilapia this same way and it was fascinating to observe the process. Sadly, his business went belly up when overseas production came into play.

As for the Asian/overseas processing of fish and shrimp, the slurry they live in is more than mud. It's largely sewage, which is why we never buy any frozen or fresh that lists anything foreign on its country of origin.
Never anything foreign? That's taking it a little far, I think. Salmon from Scotland and branzino from Italy are pretty good. Fish and seafood from Asia have the most problems.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #16
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,473
The video quality is low but this shows how catfish from Mississippi come to market.

__________________
My blog https://jamesstrange.com/
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:47 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 16,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Never anything foreign? That's taking it a little far, I think. Salmon from Scotland and branzino from Italy are pretty good. Fish and seafood from Asia have the most problems.
Pretty much. The salmon you list and the Italian fish are not available here. We are quite rural and I mean rural. We get very little that hasn't first been frozen and variety is limited. I don't remember the last time I read a package that didn't say "raised in Vietnam, Thailand, etc." on it. Even the fish sold in the "fresh" cases have been previously frozen and come from the same sources.

Happily a seafood market has opened up a little over an hour away that does their own fishing in the Gulf and brings their catch back to sell. They just opened and I hope they do well. Many in the past have tried, but lot lasted very long.

In the meantime, we'll enjoy the fruits (fishes) of their labors.

We do have plenty of catfish here, but Glenn and I much prefer the ones that are raised in "farms" the way our friend raised tilapia. We don't much care for the river or lake catfish because they are, naturally, bottom feeders and can taste muddy.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:46 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Pretty much. The salmon you list and the Italian fish are not available here. We are quite rural and I mean rural. We get very little that hasn't first been frozen and variety is limited. I don't remember the last time I read a package that didn't say "raised in Vietnam, Thailand, etc." on it. Even the fish sold in the "fresh" cases have been previously frozen and come from the same sources.
That makes sense. I'm lucky to live in a place with good access to good fresh fish and seafood.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:32 AM   #19
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,398
[/QUOTE]
In the meantime, we'll enjoy the fruits (fishes) of their labors.

We do have plenty of catfish here, but Glenn and I much prefer the ones that are raised in "farms" the way our friend raised tilapia. We don't much care for the river or lake catfish because they are, naturally, bottom feeders and can taste muddy.[/QUOTE]

Lobsters are also bottom feeders. But I see the point.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 16,111
In the meantime, we'll enjoy the fruits (fishes) of their labors.

We do have plenty of catfish here, but Glenn and I much prefer the ones that are raised in "farms" the way our friend raised tilapia. We don't much care for the river or lake catfish because they are, naturally, bottom feeders and can taste muddy.[/QUOTE]

Lobsters are also bottom feeders. But I see the point.[/QUOTE]

I understand that, but they may not "muck" around like catfish. Don't know. Don't hang out with them in the water. Lobsters are darned good, though.

For some reason, catfish seem to ingest, I guess, a lot of the mud they churn around in as they feed.

However, I do love me some catfish and the place we go to for ours has been in business since I was a little girl. In operation for over 60 years and can fry any fish to perfection. Never heavy breading. Never, never, never greasy, nor tastes of grease. The last part is probably because they pay close attention to the "health" of their frying medium. Whatever the case, these people nail it...every time!
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fish

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.