Seared Scallops, Sweet Corn Sauce, Black Truffle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
Just a recent special at work. Pretty simple actually, but the flavors all work together.

Pan Seared Atlantic Diver Scallops
"Peas and Carrots", Roasted Wild Mushrooms, Potato Puree, Sweet Corn Sauce, Shaved Black Truffle

Love scallops...I had some small bay scallops on a bed of wilted spinach the other night...really nice. The only problem...they were just an appy! I wanted at least a double hand full..!!!!!

Yes! I would love the sweet corn sauce recipe. Two of my favorite foods, corn and scallops (Black truffle ain't so bad either). Thanks for sharing, looks scrumptious!

The sauce has two seperate components but it's easy to make. Just make sure you use very fresh sweet corn or else you won't get the flavors. Adding sugar won't do it.

Sweet Corn Sauce

Yield: 4-6 Servings

6 ea., Fresh Sweet Corn (4 ea. for the sauce, 2 ea. to be sauteed)
1/2 c. Milk
6 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
Kosher Salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. Chives, finely minced

Method:

Using a knife, carefully remove the kernels from the corn. Add the milk and the kernels for the sauce into a blender, and puree until smooth. Push through a fine chinois to extract the liquid only, and discard the pureed solids. Heat over medium while stirring to avoid burning until the natural starches thicken the sauce, about 5 minutes. Whisk in 4 Tbsp. of butter and season to taste with kosher salt. Reserve and keep warm.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter over medium heat and saute the remaining corn until tender, but still al dente. Season to taste with salt and mix in the chives just before serving.

Well...look wha...I mean WHO the cat drug in!!!!!!!! :chef:

Thanks for posting something - we've missed you around here!!!

I thought you would say "fresh corn". Thanks fo rthe recipe, it will have to wait a few months (no fresh corn around here now!:LOL:), but I will make it this summer. I've been getting huge, fresh diver scallops that the sauce would be great with!

Beautiful!

IC, I have a very difficult time getting anywhere near that lovely color on my scallops when I pan-sear them.

I dry them as well as I can, get my cast iron pan as hot as I can, add just a T of oil, and place them in, leaving them alone for maybe 2 minutes.

What do you do?

Lee

The sauce has two seperate components but it's easy to make. Just make sure you use very fresh sweet corn or else you won't get the flavors. Adding sugar won't do it.

Sweet Corn Sauce

Yield: 4-6 Servings

6 ea., Fresh Sweet Corn (4 ea. for the sauce, 2 ea. to be sauteed)
1/2 c. Milk
6 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
Kosher Salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. Chives, finely minced

Method:

Using a knife, carefully remove the kernels from the corn. Add the milk and the kernels for the sauce into a blender, and puree until smooth. Push through a fine chinois to extract the liquid only, and discard the pureed solids. Heat over medium while stirring to avoid burning until the natural starches thicken the sauce, about 5 minutes. Whisk in 4 Tbsp. of butter and season to taste with kosher salt. Reserve and keep warm.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter over medium heat and saute the remaining corn until tender, but still al dente. Season to taste with salt and mix in the chives just before serving.

Sounds awesome. I wonder what would happen if you fried a little bacon and used that to saute the corn in.... add a little smoky bacon flavor. That would go really well with the scallops....

Sounds awesome. I wonder what would happen if you fried a little bacon and used that to saute the corn in.... add a little smoky bacon flavor. That would go really well with the scallops....

Bacon would definitely add another dimension of flavor, and I love to accentuate seafood with pork products (i.e. prosciutto, chorizo, lup cheong, etc.), but in this case the flavor of the bacon would have overpowered the fresh corn flavor as well as the truffle. For this dish, my intent was to showcase the fresh flavor of both the scallop and corn, and have the truffles add balance to that. Because the product was so good, I didn't want to add too many flavors which would mask or detract from it.

I'd like to know how you get them that lovely color, too. Also, did you score a diamond-like pattern on the scallops? It looks lovely.

Yeah, scoring the surface of the scallop actually helps it caramelize more evenly. Usually, if you can't get a good color on your scallops, it's due to one of three reasons:

1. Too high of a water content
2. Not enough heat
3. Improper cooking technique (i.e. flipping over too soon)

What I usually do is, heat 2 Tbsp. of oil on high in a saute pan until smoking hot. Add the scallops and press down on each one so that the surface is even on the pan. Cook for about 45 seconds on high, then turn the heat down to about med-high. Don't move the scallops until the edges start to get a nice golden brown. Lift to check and see if the rest of the scallop is caramelizing. If it is, flip over and continue cooking to about medium doneness.

The scallops that we get use are Atlantic Divers which have a low water content. The scallops available in most supermarkets are almost always previously frozen and have a very high water content. The best way to get the water out is to let them dry out overnight in the fridge on a rack with a pan underneath so that the water can drip out.

Thanks IC. I know the water content is a big problem and always look for dry pack but even then, in San Antonio all I find is previously frozen. The fridge tip is one I will definitely try. I can't wait to make the sweet corn sauce. Luckily, I can get excellent sweet corn here and I can just imagine how this sauce will taste with scallops - my favorite food in the world.

Bacon would definitely add another dimension of flavor, and I love to accentuate seafood with pork products (i.e. prosciutto, chorizo, lup cheong, etc.), but in this case the flavor of the bacon would have overpowered the fresh corn flavor as well as the truffle. For this dish, my intent was to showcase the fresh flavor of both the scallop and corn, and have the truffles add balance to that. Because the product was so good, I didn't want to add too many flavors which would mask or detract from it.
Thanks..just hard to pass on bacon... but I will take your word on it..

Not living on the coast, I have only cooked scallops once. I grilled them, coating them with garlic butter. They were terrific...

Yeah, scoring the surface of the scallop actually helps it caramelize more evenly. Usually, if you can't get a good color on your scallops, it's due to one of three reasons:

1. Too high of a water content
2. Not enough heat
3. Improper cooking technique (i.e. flipping over too soon)

What I usually do is, heat 2 Tbsp. of oil on high in a saute pan until smoking hot. Add the scallops and press down on each one so that the surface is even on the pan. Cook for about 45 seconds on high, then turn the heat down to about med-high. Don't move the scallops until the edges start to get a nice golden brown. Lift to check and see if the rest of the scallop is caramelizing. If it is, flip over and continue cooking to about medium doneness.

The scallops that we get use are Atlantic Divers which have a low water content. The scallops available in most supermarkets are almost always previously frozen and have a very high water content. The best way to get the water out is to let them dry out overnight in the fridge on a rack with a pan underneath so that the water can drip out.

Wow, great post, IC! I copied and saved the whole thing for next time!

Thanks!

Lee

Back
Top Bottom