Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Katie, thank you for sharing that beautiful moment. Now you can go visit Buck's tree and know that he will meet you there even if you can't see or feel him, he will be there.

Thanks, Laurie. I see the tree everyday. Well, at least those days I work at the shop. I have to drive by it on my way to and from. I always give it a little look and a wave and say "hello" to Buck.

When I came home from the shop this afternoon, I noticed there were several "bodies" of red tulips on the front porch. Immediately I suspected Tumble. He's into everything all the time.

It wasn't until about 3 o'clock that my suspicions were confirmed. A friend, Edwina, stopped by and we were talking on the porch. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw some motion. I looked over into the rose garden, where the tulips also grow, and spied Tumble "attacking" a tulip. I no time he proudly pranced across the yard, bright red tulip in his mouth, to the front porch and presented his "kill" to me. What a hunter!!!

Both Edwina and I smiled and laughed out loud.

Last edited:
My smile today, well I had 2 of them first I was thrilled with a beautiful Pain De Mie that I made, Katie you were right, the taste is heavenly and you bet it is one large loaf...I'm so proud of it...Thank you, Katie.
My second smile was taking our motor home, with my daughter, son in law and Ethan and Olivia and going to the zoo..We had a wonderful time and I'm so proud of ME I walked the whole way first time in almost a year and it felt so good..I can do it, I can, I can.

kadesma:)

Oh, wow, I just got one of the biggest smiles I could ever hope for.

Through our youth group we got to know a pair of sisters who have had a bit of a tough upbringing. Their Dad basically raised them both from babies when their Mom walked out twice, both times just after each of them was born, and then their stepmom was out of the picture as well. The older girl (now about 20) worked for us for awhile in our internet business until we closed it and has had a tough time keeping jobs and relationships because she is so worried about rejection.

I have done their taxes for them for the last 5 years and she has been appreciative but that has been it. I have just waited in the background praying and hoping that this gesture would show her that someone cared without wanting anything in return.

Well, I left a little note with her taxes saying I am hiring again for catering if she or anyone she knows might be interested. I just got a message saying that she is really grateful that I do her taxes and explain how she can get more back, and she is hoping to go to school next year for hotel management/event planning. Then the smile. She said she would love to work for me on any of the events so she can get some practice. I was wondering how I was going to run the kitchen and the reception room setup for the biggest wedding and now I have my answer. Doing the set-up coordination will be a good test for her if she likes it and I know she will do an amazing job.

You know, all it takes sometimes is a little patience, care and attention and you can really make a difference in someone's life. I can't wait to watch her in action, like a proud Mama! (No, this isn't my "Daughter", but she is another of our "kids").

Last edited:
"Porch settin' season" is open!

What a delight! Today was a blissful day, weatherwise. It was dry, sunny and the temp was about 76F.

By the time 5 p.m. rolled around I was moved to make my appearance on our big front porch, drink in hand, to open the 2009 season of porch settin'.

I was quickly, and happily, joined by Thelma, Violet and Tumble. "Mommy, you're here. Where's Daddy? We've missed you."

I had a couple of hours of beautiful weather and kitty company. They seemed to understand that I was going to be their only company during our nightly porch routine.

The sunset was awesome...aqua, fuschia, pale blue...colors I can't even begin to describe because they don't have names.

Oh, I've missed porch settin'. I'll be speaking to y'all from the porch, now, most nights.

Katie, that's great that you are getting back out there! You've been through one heck of a winter and you deserve to have your pretty painted skies again!! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Katie, I am so glad that you are able to get back to the porch. I can't wait for stories of the kitties, fireflies and sunsets!

Thanks, y'all. I'd forgotten how invigorating porch settin' was. Somehow I felt connected to Buck as I sat there tonight for the first time this season. I told my kitty children that Mommy and Daddy loved them and they seemed to understand. It was a lovely evening.

What a delight it was to get an email from a old high school friend , we grew up together , lived on the same street. We lost touch somehow over the past 21 yrs, when my mom died in '88 . She is a good friend tho she lives too far, at least we have each other's email address to keep in touch now.

What a delight it was to get an email from a old high school friend , we grew up together , lived on the same street. We lost touch somehow over the past 21 yrs, when my mom died in '88 . She is a good friend tho she lives too far, at least we have each other's email address to keep in touch now.

LC, I am so happy for you. This made me smile too. I hope you are feeling somewhat better.

My Dad was feeling a little down today, so I made him his favourite meal - hot dogs with fried onions. He ate it without saying much, and when I asked him if that was enough, he said "it was perfect, I taught you well". I smiled extra wide, because he IS the one that taught me to make hot dogs his way and so it was a huge compliment. He doesn't give them out a lot!

Well....I have no more tulips in my garden. Tumble has seen to that.

As I was sitting on the porch this evening, he methodically pounced, removed and delivered to me the last of the tulips. He was determined on clearing the tulip patch. What a silly kitty! I have to love him because his heart is in the right place. He seemed so proud of himself as he dropped each flower at my feet.

Tumble certainly made me smile...again.

Last edited:
LC,
I'm so happy for you. It's a delight to find a missing friend..Enjoy your reunion.
kades

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom