Amazing....1% of Population

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

giftedmadness

Washing Up
It's amazing that there is a specific section on here for celiac sufferers when only 1% of the population suffers from a reaction to gluten. Why the sudden popularity of non-gluten foods?

peanut allergy

Maybe because several members have gluten allergies.

About the same number of people are allergic to peanuts, why no section for them? Also, more people are Jewish than are celiac sufferers. I am almost certain there isn't a section on here for Kosher meals. (although I have yet to check this out, just guessing).

Are you allergic to peanuts and Jewish so you would like your own sections? Just let us know and we will see if you can be accommodated.

Are you allergic to peanuts and Jewish so you would like your own sections? Just let us know and we will see if you can be accommodated.

No. That's not my point. My point is that 1% of the population has a sensitivity to gluten and yet there is a section on here for them. Also, people seem to think that if you're not sensitive to gluten that a non-gluten diet will be more healthy to you. It's become a marketing fad that isn't based on science.

What is your point then? There is a section for gluten-free, why not? Is it an affront to you? If you think it's just a fad and a marketing ploy, just ignore it.

What is your point then? There is a section for gluten-free, why not? Is it an affront to you? If you think it's just a fad and a marketing ploy, just ignore it.

My point is there is a section for gluten-free products only because of the misinformation out there. There is no money to be made on peanut alergies or Kosher foods. That's why you guys don't have a section on those. That's my point.

for a second there i thought this thread was going to be about jewish peanuts.

there's bupkis to be made on kosher foods?

oy, have you been shopping in the wrong yatke. :)

When we add new sections to the forum it is content driven. If we see a trend we add sections. Sometimes that works out and the section takes off, sometimes it seems that putting the spot light on it makes the topic self conscious and it decides to lay low.

If anyone feels that there should be a new section created PM any member of the site team and we will look into it. There are no hard fast metrics but we look for activity patterns to see if it is a current fad or if there are longer term trends.

for a second there i thought this thread was going to be about jewish peanuts.

there's bupkis to be made on kosher foods?

oy, have you been shopping in the wrong yatke. :)

I thought it was going to be about outlaw bikers :wacko:

Yes I agree for many gluten free is a fad. People are always looking for that reason that isn't their responsibility for being fat. Yes that's harsh, but it's the truth and the reason why fad diets do so well.

But, for those who have celiac disease, this isn't as easy as avoiding milk, or buying the lactose free milk. It isn't as easy as just leaving nuts out of their diet. Recipes have to be completely re-engineered to produce something palatable and familiar.

If there is enough interest to dedicate a section to this, then why not? This is a forum that is owned by someone, and they can choose to do with it as they wish, it isn't a democracy, simple as that!

My point is there is a section for gluten-free products only because of the misinformation out there. There is no money to be made on peanut alergies or Kosher foods. That's why you guys don't have a section on those. That's my point.

There is a G-F forum because there was adequate member interest.

There's no money to be made from adding a G-F forum.

I think that having specific dietary forums does bring people seeking recipes to the forum (diabetic, gluten free). Under ethnic foods, a forum for Kosher could be added if there were sufficient interest in the same. I know that when I've gone hunting for gluten free recipes because I have guests coming who are gluten intolerant, I hit that forum here first.

Yes I agree for many gluten free is a fad. People are always looking for that reason that isn't their responsibility for being fat. Yes that's harsh, but it's the truth and the reason why fad diets do so well.

I think more people should listen less to those who preach that our food is fine because they have a vested interested in what's being manufactured and sold (FDA being a prime example and one of the worst offenders) and instead do some objective research. There's much to be learned out there. And even more to be unlearned.

That said, OP seems a little disgruntled with life today and seems to be itching for an argument. Hope you get it scratched soon. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom