Potatoes, amazing yummies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always get rave reviews with Better Than Grandmas Potatoes - NOTE: The link show the original recipe I found years ago...but I rarely cook them as outlined (more often, I'll nuke the potatoes and then mash them with a potato ricer, saves having to peel them & saves a lot of chicken broth too!)

And, before you ask, they work well with or without gravy. It is my go-to mashed potato for Thanksgiving.

I know I haven't even scratched the surface with potatoes but I do love them. They seem to be enjoyed by others too. SO's son raved about my mashed potatoes then he told me he hated mashed potatoes except mine :) (obscene amounts of butter, salt and cream are my secret). We all love my mom's version of simplified lyonnaise potatoes (hard to dislike potatoes with caramelized onions and butter) and they are a must for Christmas dinner. The smashed potatoes are another delicious recipe. I've made hasselback potatoes but wasn't wowed. They're cool looking.

These Funeral Potatoes are always a good choice for a potluck.

photo by DeliciousAsItLooks

You can go heavy on convenience foods or make them with an equal amount of chopped boiled potatoes and a seasoned cream sauce.

Swap out the cornflakes for breadcrumbs, crushed potato chips, French fried onions, etc..

@taxlady these are what traditional Pommes Fondant look like.

1691965432401.png

Edit:
Meant to add the link - this is only one of many 'traditional' recipes to be found when looking for how to cook potatoes fondant. Thought this article good for some of the explanations.

Fondant Potatoes

Last edited:
Wow, that sounds very little like the potatoes in that Jacques Pépin video. I wonder why he called them that.

No, I haven't tried this. This recipe calls for sliced potatoes that you toss with other ingredients. Hasselback potatoes are whole potatoes that are sliced part way through and seasoned with stuff in between the slices.
I agree, those are not Hasselback potatoes. Because the slices are lined up, they do look a bit like they could be Hasselback potatoes. Andy's description of Hasselback potatoes is bang on. The stuff between the slices usually includes butter. Actually, it could be only butter.

My two favorite recipes for potatoes were blue cheese and cheddar stovies (potatoes) and Parmesan crusted Chantilly potatoes. Naturally, it goes without saying that both recipes had vanished from the internet when I finally got a connection back. I found the stovies recipe, the original one I had, and I'm still looking for the Chantilly potato recipe I had. It was on All Recipes but appears to be gone in the wind.

My two favorite recipes for potatoes were blue cheese and cheddar stovies (potatoes) and Parmesan crusted Chantilly potatoes. Naturally, it goes without saying that both recipes had vanished from the internet when I finally got a connection back. I found the stovies recipe, the original one I had, and I'm still looking for the Chantilly potato recipe I had. It was on All Recipes but appears to be gone in the wind.
You need Copy Me That. It's free to use. They also have a paid version, but the free one is plenty good. When you find a recipe, you save it to CMT. It will save it with a link to the original recipe. But, you will still have your copy of the recipe, even when the original link goes away. You can have all your recipes in one place and they are searchable by name, ingredient, tag. You can add your own notes and pix, if you want. I use it every. single. day.

No, I haven't tried this. This recipe calls for sliced potatoes that you toss with other ingredients. Hasselback potatoes are whole potatoes that are sliced part way through and seasoned with stuff in between the slices.
Yes, I get that...but, forget what "they" call it, try it anyway? Sliced potatoes, placed vertically -- like hasselback -- in a casserole with many luscious cheeses and herbs and cream...just saying, it is yummy. Or don't try it...more for me! Ha, ha... ;)

When we are eating potatoes again in a few weeks, I will make some Danish cream potatoes. They are similar to scalloped potatoes, but I like them much better. I have only made them a few times, so I want to make sure of the recipe before I share it.

Ginny, did I read this right? they are cooked 1 hour covered and then another hour uncovered?

Sounds like a lot of work stacking but what a presentation!
Yep, that's what cha do. It really isn't all that hard to stack them. I slice them in the food processor and then just grab a bunch and straighten them, kind of like one does with a stack of paper? I've only made them when we have company...and usually have folks to chat with...or I can just put on some music to distract me?

I saw Jaques Pepin make a potato dish that I wanted to try, but I only saw it once, forgot the name of it, and haven't been able to find id ( I must admit, I didn't look that hard). He cut potatoes about 1/4 inch thick the long way. Fried them in a pan on both sides til browned. Then, he transferred them to another pan, where the oil temp was different ( I think hotter) and they puffed up. The only thing I remember is the potatoes , the difference in oil temps, and the puffing up. It looked really cool.
I have an over abundance of potatoes this year, so I will be watching this thread carefully. side from making things we eat right away ( like potato salad, roasted potatoes, baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, latkes ...), I also like making things that I can freeze, for later use, that will prolong the storability of the potatoes like French fries, pierogi, knishes...). In addition, I add them to soups, stews and many other dishes.

Thought maybe I would try Ginny's Scalloped Hasselback but in a much smaller version. Should be interesting. Don't quite have the right cheeses but - any port in a storm, eh? When the mood is on yuh, go for the gold!

(OMG, would somebody please shoot that dragn with her corny cliches!)

I saw Jaques Pepin make a potato dish that I wanted to try, but I only saw it once, forgot the name of it, and haven't been able to find id ( I must admit, I didn't look that hard). He cut potatoes about 1/4 inch thick the long way. Fried them in a pan on both sides til browned. Then, he transferred them to another pan, where the oil temp was different ( I think hotter) and they puffed up. The only thing I remember is the potatoes , the difference in oil temps, and the puffing up. It looked really cool.
Ask, and ye shall received....
@larry_stewart , pommes soufflés?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom