Flour...your opinion please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
I was wondering if I put regular AP flour into the food processor for a few minutes would it be more like double o flour?

Why do you want 00 flour? Is it a gluten factor?

If you put AP flour into the food processor, you will definitely have finer flour, and flour in other places, but it will still have the gluten level it had before you processed it.

If you are searching for a finer flour with a lower percentage of gluten, how about mixing cake/pastry flour with the processed AP flour?

Actually I think I want a higher gluten flour. I know I could add wheat gluten for that. I just want a cheapser way to get double o flour. I thought the processor might do the trick.

Well, the food processor will probably make the flour finer if that's what you want for your end result and, yes, adding wheat gluten will also give you a higher gluten percentage.

I think if I were to process flour in my processor, I'd cover the machine with a light towel or a plastic bag during the processing time. I have a feeling the processed flour would behave much like sheet rock dust and show up in lots of undesired places.

If the protein level of AP flour isn't high enough, try bread flour. You can process the bread flour to give you a finer grind.

Actually I think I want a higher gluten flour. I know I could add wheat gluten for that. I just want a cheapser way to get double o flour. I thought the processor might do the trick.
If cost is the issue I would have thought you wouldn't be saving much if you had to buy wheat gluten to add to AP flour. And the difference in price between AP and 00 can't be so big that it matters greatly when you break it down to the cost of a loaf/cupcake/pancake or whatever you are trying to make.

What were you intending to do with the 00 flour? It might help us to help you if we knew.

I often get free AP flour. But I just tried some oo flour to make pizza dough and liked the result. I wondered if I could process the AP flour and get the same result. I really didn't want to add gluten.

Last edited:
I know that higher gluten flour is supposed to work better for pizza dough but the real issue is the grind of the flour.

Back
Top Bottom