"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2020, 10:32 PM   #21
Head Chef

Something that I found useful when grinding small amounts in the FP is freezing the small cubes of meat slightly - it gets chopped up fairly evenly, since the chunks are semi-solid.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
Something that I found useful when grinding small amounts in the FP is freezing the small cubes of meat slightly - it gets chopped up fairly evenly, since the chunks are semi-solid.
+1 I've heard this also.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:14 PM   #23
Cook

Geez.... I am so sorry about the coaster typo. I meant coarse. I took typing in high school, not keyboarding with “spell check”. Hehe... yes I am older.....

My point was that when you grind your own meat you not only control the meat but you can control how course it is as well.

Again...apologies

I not only partially freeze the meat but the grinder parts get some time in the freezer as well. Colder is better... keeps the fat from “melting”.
Markf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:52 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markf View Post
Geez.... I am so sorry about the coaster typo. I meant coarse. I took typing in high school, not keyboarding with “spell check”. Hehe... yes I am older.....

My point was that when you grind your own meat you not only control the meat but you can control how course it is as well.

Again...apologies

I not only partially freeze the meat but the grinder parts get some time in the freezer as well. Colder is better... keeps the fat from “melting”.
Keeping everything cold is a big issue in making sausage.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:30 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markf View Post

Coaster, coarser, course - and let's throw in curser too
Again...apologies

yes, keeping the handling to a minimum while getting a finer grind, chilling does keep the fat from melting.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:40 AM   #26
Executive Chef

We never grind meat. We do have the KA mixer and grinding attachment.
The reason is two fold.
First is having to clean the grinder parts.
Second is determining how much fat to beef is right?

Do you guys add extra fat or do you just grind the meat with the fat it already has?
I made some sausage once and it needed more fat or something to smooth things out.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:32 AM   #27
Senior Cook

I used chuck roast and sirloin for burgers (about 70/30). When I want it leaner for things like chili and spagetti sauce I'll mix in more sirloin. For sausage, beef short rib and pork shoulder have plenty of fat. And all of the above is relatively cheap.

As for cleaning the grinder... throw in a slice or two of stale bread at the end. That will not only get all of the meat out, it does a pretty good job of wiping out the body.
ScottinPollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Bread as cleaner for the meat grinder works well. It is especially good for something like meatloaf, that probably can use some bread in it. My mum always used to put an onion through the meat grinder, because lots of ground meat recipes have onion.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:20 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
My mum always used to put an onion through the meat grinder, because lots of ground meat recipes have onion.
Ha ha… quite some time ago I was all ready to make falafel (chickpeas soaked overnight), but could not find the blade to my food processor (it was in the silverware basket of my dishwasher). After giving up on looking for it, I decided to use the food grinder instead, alternating adding a handful of chickpeas, then the herbs, halved garlic cloves, and 1/8 onion pieces. With the fine disc, the texture was perfect, and it extracted so much more juices from the onions, herbs and garlic, the result was so much more flavorful and moist than using the FP. Now it is the only way I do it (recipe here).

Gonna try my next meatloaf the same way!
Old 12-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #30
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Best ever! lasts a life time! cheap to run! does a fantastic job!

Google for manual meat grinders
I tried that grinder and it is only good if you are growing grinding a lot of beef.
georgevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
As I recall, it as difficult to get a uniform texture with reasonably sized pieces. Clearly you don't end up with the ground beef in strands as you get from the market.
Exactly. The texture is too mushy. But it can be done.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:09 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgevan View Post
I tried that grinder and it is only good if you are growing grinding a lot of beef.
Goodness, think I have to disagree on that one!

I would get an attachment to do large amounts continuously or frequently. For the odd occasion, don't think you can go wrong with manual. JMHO
Old 12-03-2020, 05:18 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Goodness, think I have to disagree on that one!

I would get an attachment to do large amounts continuously or frequently. For the odd occasion, don't think you can go wrong with manual. JMHO
That's what I was thinking.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:25 PM   #34
Senior Cook

I gave up....

The idea sounds good and if you can buy really good beef, well, it might be worth while. Point is, you need good beef. We have been using a butcher that has been in Dallas for over 50 years. They sell only prime beef. We are paying $8.95 @ lb. for what they call 85/15 ground beef. If I use that grind from the grocery store, it's too dry to grill burgers. And the reason I started grinding my own is the grocery store beef has no flavor. However, the butchers "lean grind" is very juicy and it shrinks very little. We were amazed and quite satisfied. 1/4 pound patty is a lot of beef. Prime beef makes a big difference. At least it has for us.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:53 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

This won't be for everybody but I came across this situation by happenstance. I haven't gone to the butcher due to Covid and because the kids are staying with us I buy sirloin patties from Costco for hamburgers.

One night I was making bolognese and instead of defrosting a 3 lb slab of beef to grind I decided to take a couple of sirloin patties and grind them. I was pretty surprised when everyone at the table commented how good the meat tasted in the sauce. From now on that's my go-to method for when I need 1-2 lbs. for a quick meal. I take a few frozen patties, partially defrost them, lightly grind them, and use it in my sauce, etc.
BWinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:01 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
The idea sounds good and if you can buy really good beef, well, it might be worth while. Point is, you need good beef. We have been using a butcher that has been in Dallas for over 50 years. They sell only prime beef. We are paying $8.95 @ lb. for what they call 85/15 ground beef. If I use that grind from the grocery store, it's too dry to grill burgers. And the reason I started grinding my own is the grocery store beef has no flavor. However, the butchers "lean grind" is very juicy and it shrinks very little.
Prime is not a requirement for grinding your own beef. I get choice, boneless chuck cross rib roasts and short rib for about a third of what you're paying your butcher for hamburger, and it comes out amazing when ground fresh or frozen, plus it is not over worked as most ground beef is. I control the fat amount and the texture, which makes all the difference in the world.

Edit: Good burgers will always shrink as the fat (necessary for flavor and juiciness) is rendered.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #37
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
The idea sounds good and if you can buy really good beef, well, it might be worth while. Point is, you need good beef. We have been using a butcher that has been in Dallas for over 50 years. They sell only prime beef. We are paying $8.95 @ lb. for what they call 85/15 ground beef. If I use that grind from the grocery store, it's too dry to grill burgers. And the reason I started grinding my own is the grocery store beef has no flavor. However, the butchers "lean grind" is very juicy and it shrinks very little. We were amazed and quite satisfied. 1/4 pound patty is a lot of beef. Prime beef makes a big difference. At least it has for us.
Prime is about marbling. When you grind it you lose the idea of marbling.

I mean, if it makes you happy that's great. I will save the prime for cuts I am grilling or barbecuing instead.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:58 PM   #38
Senior Cook

It's all about the fat and the super market meat is tasteless.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:31 PM   #39
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
It's all about the fat and the super market meat is tasteless.
Prime fat tastes better?
Old 01-25-2021, 08:09 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

I think what meat makes the best ground beef likely varies by where you live. Some supermarkets might have perfectly tasty beef in the meat section, others not so much. Also, how expensive the meat is from the butcher is going to vary by region.

Tags
beef