Help with Mole sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annie7us

Assistant Cook
I made a new mole sauce tonight-different from my usual, and it's awful (I got it from some vegetarian cooking site-it was highly rated, but ugh!). It tastes like peanut butter, chocolate, and cinnamon. I followed the recipe to the letter EXCEPT that I put in 1/3 of the cocoa powder it called for, 1/2 of the peanut butter, and 1/2 of the cinnamon. Still, these 3 flavors are overpowering the entire sauce.

I know I'll probably end up throwing it out and going without mole tonight, but anyone have ideas for fixing this? I have dumped out 1/2 the sauce, then added tomato paste, tomato SOUP, vinegar, more chili powder, salt, and ancho powder (one at a time). The sauce still tastes like it belongs in a cinnamon roll instead of on my burrito!

Anyone able to help? (feel free to include a different sauce recipe, as well-this one won't be used again!).

Welcome to DC! Dona Maria has a jarred mole sauce that's pretty good, and the work has already been done for you.

Hi, Annie. There are lots of ways to make mole sauce, so it's difficult to make suggestions for fixing your sauce without knowing the recipe you used. I've made a lot of Rick Bayless' recipes and they always work.

Heres one that you can bank on!;) You will also find others using Mexican chocolate.

Recipes from Chef Rick Bayless - Rick Bayless | Frontera

If you are going to make Mexican dishes, the only way to go is always with Rick Bayless. All of his recipes are authentic right from Mexico.

Every year he makes a trip to small villages throughout Mexico to learn how to make the food from scratch. He is right there with the women out in the courtyard working right along with them. :angel:

Diana Kennedy is also a great Mexican cuisine author. We have her "Art of Mexican Cooking" cookbook. But she did a lot with very local ingredients which are impossible to acquire.:neutral:

Diana Kennedy is also a great Mexican cuisine author. We have her "Art of Mexican Cooking" cookbook. But she did a lot with very local ingredients which are impossible to acquire.:neutral:

With the Latin population getting ever bigger each day, supermarkets are now providing ingredients that they are familiar with and need for their cooking. In the produce department I see items that I can't even pronounce. Yet I see young women standing there examining the different items like we would do with tomatoes. My supermarket has an Hispanic produce section and also two aisles that are dedicated to the Latin Community. So for those who are not Latin, but wish to add some of their dishes to their recipe file, they can now find the items they need. It is much easier to find these items today. :angel:

We have marcados that are owned and run by Mexicans that cater to the farmworkers from Mexico and central America. There are localized ingredients that they cannot get, some of which are so local, they are not even available outside the state they are grown/produced in Mexico. So, no you can't get them in the local grocery store. Can you get fresh callaloo in your grocery? How about the 100s of varietal potatoes grown in Peru?

We have marcados that are owned and run by Mexicans that cater to the farmworkers from Mexico and central America. There are localized ingredients that they cannot get, some of which are so local, they are not even available outside the state they are grown/produced in Mexico. So, no you can't get them in the local grocery store. Can you get fresh callaloo in your grocery? How about the 100s of varietal potatoes grown in Peru?

I don't even know what a marcados is. :angel:

I don't even know what a marcados is. :angel:

I think he means "mercado", which means marketplace. You can get lots of stuff at the mercado where we go in Mexico.

Last edited:
We have three Mexican markets in my area and I couldn't have made my maiden voyage on tamale making without them. But since I live in a small town in Ohio there were still some things I couldn't find like dent corn. I had to use masa harina instead of my own nixtamal.

Back
Top Bottom