I Need help with Ravioli Stuffing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I made a sausage stuffing for ravioli for tonight's dinner. It's something I wanted to try using won ton wrappers for the ravioli pasta.

I checked out a few different recipes and came up with the following recipe. I was not thrilled with the flavor. It was a good meal but the filling flavor was underwhelming.

1 lb Sweet Italian Sausage
1 ea Large Onion
3 cl Garlic
6 oz Mushrooms
1 oz Dry Procini
1-2 Tb Olive Oil
1/4 C Chopped Parsley
1/4 C Dry Marsala
2 oz Shredded Pecorino Romano Cheese
TT Salt and Pepper

I crumbled and cooked the sausage in a saute pan. Sauteed the mushrooms, onions and garlic. I deglazed the pan with the marsala. Reconstituted the porcini and mixed all the ingredients together.

I used the food processor to create a more uniform texture for the filling.

I used a package of won ton wrappers to make 27 good sized ravioli and served it with a meatless tomato sauce and grated pecorino romano.

I have a ton of the filling left over and I'd appreciate it if anyone could suggest some way of boosting the flavor.

Thanks, guys.

Andy If you would like the recipe my mother in law and my mother and I all use to make our ravioli, I'll be happy to post it for you..
kades

What about maybe adding some green pepper? Sweet italian sausage always had peppers and onions when I have it.

It sounds like you've got some very strong and savory flavors there Andy
and I would be surprised if it didn't taste good. Is there enough salt?
pepper? I would have certainly used more garlic (I love garlic).
Some Fennel or Fennel seed might also work.
I sometimes add powdered dried mushrooms (Porcini or Shitaki which
I grind in the coffee mill) to soups and stews to add more umami.

How about using the stuffing in Stuffed Peppers or squash? You ay just have needed more

How about stuffing some bell peppers or squash with some of the leftover filling? As someone suggested, maybe a little more S&P is all you need.

Thank you all for your suggestions. My next try is bound to be better.

Kadesma, please do post your ravioli recipe.

Sorry this took so long Andy, was making foods for my daughters surprise birthday party yesterday.
Here is the recipe..We use to use beef brains but now use
1/2 lb. veal
1/2-lb.pork
1.2-lb. good beef, I use some steak..Saute these, then put into f/p and make a paste of them. This insures that you don't have a grainy texture in your ravs.. The rest of the ingredients are
2-box's of chopped spinach, thawed pre cooked and drained well
2-c. bread crumbs
1/2-c. evoo
2-Tbls. chopped fresh parsley
2-Tbls.marjoram1/4 c. dry rosemary crushed well
1-Tbls. thyme dry
3-4 cloves crushed garlic
1-c. grated cheese
1-doz eggs
Mix cooked meat paste, and the rest of the ingredients, add the eggs. This will fill 10 feet of pasta or ravioli dough we buy this from a Italian deli...the filling that is left over if you use the wrappers from the grocery can be frozen for about a month or two. We make a meat gravy to go over these...I miss them with the beef brains, but it's not a good idea now and plain spinach and cheese tastes like a tin can to use so we've adapted it with the meats I mention. My sister makes hers with chicken or plain pork can be used...
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom