In Search Of Paella Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm looking for a simple Piaha recipe and I've used all my resources but couldn't find a single recipe.

Thanks Derek.

Whats in it, basically? I only ask because I've never heard of it and wonder if you're asking about paella, a spanish rice, chicken and seafood dish. Let me know.

Katy

Whew! I didn't know what it was either. I was thinking maybe perohe (perogies) so I'll be interested to see which it ends up being.

I think you are referring to the Spanish rice dish, Paella. There are many variations on it, and I make mine out of my head, but this link is a really good example of the true dish. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I was guessing Paella (pronounced Pie-A-Ah) as well. We should start a pool before Chile Chef comes back to let us know if we were right or now :)

According to this site, there's a dish from the Philippines or Thailand called Playa: CLICK ME

Apparently it's a sort of sweet bread:

Piaya is Bacolod City's famous delicacy.

Ingredients:

250 grams flour
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup water
250 grams muscovado sugar (I have no idea what that is)
seasame seeds

Procedure:

Mix flour, butter and water. Form into a dough. Divide into 20 grams, roll the dough until flat. Put 10 grams of muscovado sugar in the middle and seal. Form into a ball, place sesame seeds on top and press again with rolling pin until it becomes very flat. Cook in non-stick flat pan in a very low heat until it becomes light brown. The sugar might ooze out from the dough!

Thanks everyone, When Bobby flay did the throw down, It looked like it was some form of Jambalaya, It's a spanish rice dish, with seafood in it.

And Scotch, It's not bread but thanks for the help though!

I like the recipe that Laurie posted - the only change I would make is that usually there is a bit of saffron - not enough to be bitter, just add color.

Hi Karen - If you are only adding enough saffron to change the dish color to a pretty yellow, wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to just add a bit of yellow food coloring?

To be honest, I'm a noob when it comes to using saffron. I haven't been poor for years, but I'm frugal enough not to purchase an expensive ingredient that all it does is make the dish look prettier.

Your thoughts?

Bob

Hi Karen - If you are only adding enough saffron to change the dish color to a pretty yellow, wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to just add a bit of yellow food coloring?

To be honest, I'm a noob when it comes to using saffron. I haven't been poor for years, but I'm frugal enough not to purchase an expensive ingredient that all it does is make the dish look prettier.

Your thoughts?

Bob
Hi Bob, I see we have another Michigander here.

Nic e to meet you!

Derek, saffron is not just added for the color - it is the predominant flavor in a Paella. Paella is a rice dish flavored with saffron, and some meat/seafood pieces added. Depending upon the region of Spain which you visit, this can include chorizo, chicken, rabbit, fish, or shellfish in many varieties.

The best instruction/information/recipe/explanation of Paella I've found is from Cook's Illustrated. They published it in their magazine a few years ago, so I assume you can find it on their site. Try Goolling it.

Here's a photo of my Paella. It's based on the CI recipe, with adaptations for my own taste.

Attachments

• paella.jpg
    paella.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 225
Derek, saffron is not just added for the color - it is the predominant flavor in a Paella. Paella is a rice dish flavored with saffron, and some meat/seafood pieces added. Depending upon the region of Spain which you visit, this can include chorizo, chicken, rabbit, fish, or shellfish in many varieties.

The best instruction/information/recipe/explanation of Paella I've found is from Cook's Illustrated. They published it in their magazine a few years ago, so I assume you can find it on their site. Try Goolling it.

Here's a photo of my Paella. It's based on the CI recipe, with adaptations for my own taste.
Thanks for the photo SilverSage, But I'm not the one who was asking about Saffron, However I do appropriate the tip about the spice though.

Back
Top Bottom