ISO Soft foods for no teeth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
DH has to get almost all his teeth pulled and get dentures ASAP. Dec 7th he is getting the majority of them out. He has to heal for 6 weeks before they'll pull the front teeth and give him dentures.

So, during thisi 6 weeks, I need ideas for soft foods for him. He likes FLAVOR. He puts "sauce" on everything...ranch dressing, salsa ranch, BBQ, sweet and sour, etc. Nothing goes naked in this house.

Any suggestions, other than the normal eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, mashed potatoes, etc?

I need to find a way for him to eat meat with only his front teeth...

Your poor DH! Not a pleasant time for him, and no doubt for yourself either.

Fish is an easy meal to prepare and easy to eat, esp if you choose the more delicate fishes. When I had impacted wisdom teeth and then compounded the problem by getting oral thrush (!), I had a lot of things with canned tuna, and smoked cod. These days I would probably also include some oysters in the shell! Or scallops. Mince should be pretty easy as well as the bits of meat aren't very large.

How about lamb shanks, the meat just falls of the bone when cooked well? Any meat that is slow roasted or casseroled and well cut into small enough portions should not require much chewing. In hospital they just puree the guts out of every thing. Or just give you soup.

Good luck!

Teeth can play an important role in detecting fish bones so fish may not be a good idea. I've known people without teeth to live into the high nineties who's staple was bean and pea soups. Well cooked sauerkrat, chili and creamed or cheese sauce cauliflower dishes might also work.

Mashed potatoes with lamb, beef, turkey, etc gravy. Potato leek soup, pureed butternut squash, pureed sweet potatoes, pureed turnips, chopped spinach, swiss chard or kale? Chocolate pudding made from scratch with Penzeys cocoa.

Last edited:
When my dad had his teeth pulled, he drank a lot of milkshakes. When your DH's gums start to heal a little, he should be able to eat dishes with crumbled ground meat, or any tender meat that is cut up finely. You'd be surprised how much one can chew with the gums.

You should be able to put just about anything he likes in the food processor and mince it up very fine, no?

Won't look that great but it'll have the taste he likes.

I make this white chicken meat meat balls. Make whatever soup you might like. For meat balls: 1-2 chicken breasts, That is halfs. 2-3 Eggs. 1-2 slices of bead soak and squize. some salt and pepper. 1 Onion, medium. I use meat grinder, but food processor could also used. Grind everyhting together, form small balls, cook thm in the soup. Yum and soft.

I make this white chicken meat meat balls. Make whatever soup you might like. For meat balls: 1-2 chicken breasts, That is halfs. 2-3 Eggs. 1-2 slices of bead soak and squize. some salt and pepper. 1 Onion, medium. I use meat grinder, but food processor could also used. Grind everyhting together, form small balls, cook thm in the soup. Yum and soft.
Great post Charlie; guess you Rushyans? never heard of Italian Wedding Soup. If you ever get to NYC and if you are an ex-Rusky you might want to check out Brighton Beach in Brooklyn. They got some great food ingredients, and some interesting night clubs.

For the first few days - moist puree of anything. Then, as his gums heal you can add a little more texture to soft foods. Like jennyema said - your food processor should be able to handle it.

As for a list of things you can puree .... when was the last time you strolled down the baby food aisle at the store? You've just got more options when it comes to foods and seasonings infants can't have.

Along the same lines as Michael, if he is looking for munchies, there are some great toddler snacks out there by gerber. Tastey little puffs that are flavored like fruits or cheddar (my little nephew shares well!). They melt like puffy cheetoes in your mouth.

Also, pureed pot pies over mashed potatoes or noodles would be yummy ...

(edited for redundant language)

Mexican food would be good. The basics like refried beans and rice, flour tortillas, soft tacos. All things you can add a lot of zing to with hot sauce and such.

I had a friend at summer camp who had to have his jaw wired shut for 10 weeks. The camp chef would run everything through the blender for him and he would drink it through a straw.

I'm going out on a limb here. I have a few recipes that will work for him, but take a bit of effort. they are deliscious in their own right thou, and so are worth making for everyone in your family to enjoy.

Breakfast: Fruit Smoothies can be made with a brick of silken tofu, 1 cored apple (leave the peelings on), one peeled carot, 1 cored pear with skin, a banana or two, sugar or Splenda, 1 can crushed pineapple. Blend until smooth. Deliscious, nutritious, and no chewing.

Tender omlet with Velveeta, minced ham, and minced mushrooms.

Oatmeal flavored with maple syrup, or brown sugar, cinamon, and butter.

Goodweed's World Famous Pancakes (very tender and moist. not rubbery).

Supper (Evening Meal): Poached fish fillets with dill and tarragon. Mashed sweet potatoes, steamed carrots with honey and butter, riced potatoes with butter and ranch dressing or gravy.

Goodweed's Chicken Meatballs (Extracted from one of my own cookbooks):
Chinese Chicken Meatballs
Theres this great restaurant just down the road a bit from my home. They serve some fine food at this place. One of my wifes favorite dishes served at this establishment is chicken meatballs. They are good. Ive had them.
Well, to make a long story short, I had to try to make something similar at home. The results of my efforts (and this is according to my wife, folks) are chicken meat balls of superior quality to the ones found at the restaurant. These are especially good with pineapple sweet & sour sauce.
Ingredients:
1 large chicken breast
2 large chicken thighs
3 stalks celery
 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. onion powder
1 medium egg, lightly beaten

Skin and remove the chicken from the bones and either mince in food-processor, or run through a meat grinder. Mince the garlic and add with the onion powder to the meat. Finely chop the celery and add it to the chicken with the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
The trick to these meatballs is egg. Lacking sufficient fat to hold them together, the protein rich egg white coats each morsel of meat, acting like the fat in a hamburger. It binds them.
Shape into 1 inch meatballs and gently sauté until lightly browned on all sides. Serve with Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce, white rice and butter, and with steamed carrots. Arrange artistically on dark plates and serve.
Makes approximately 24 meatballs.

Any meats cooked in the pressure cooker will be tender enough for him.

Goodweeds Mexican Volcano (again from one of my cookbooks):
Mexican Volcano:
You'll wow the crowds, and give yourself some idea your own
artistic ability. The flavor is South of the Border. The theme
is fun. Award winning Balderson Aged Cheddar adds flavor to
the dish while Mozzarella creates visual effect.
Your family and friends will be amazed by your creativity, and the quality of the meat-loaf. In this recipe, we use bread crumbs to increase the volume while maintaining flavor and texture. Thus, you save money without sacrificing quality.
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. bulk Chorizo (or Italian sausage)
1 tbs. chili powder
1/2 tbs. cayenne pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh Jalapeno peppers
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup ketchup
3/4 cup enchilada sauce, or salsa
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup Balderson 2 year old Medium Cheddar Cheese
1 large egg
Preheat the oven to 375'- F. Remove the Chorizo from its
casing. Mix together the ground beef, Chorizo, chili powder, cayenne pepper, jalapeno peppers, egg, Balderson Cheddar, and bread crumbs. Knead together until well mixed. Lightly grease a 12" square casserole dish and place the meat mixture into it.
Shape the mixture into a volcanic mountain with valleys and
cliffs. Show off your hidden artistic talents. Create a crater in the top suitable for about a 1/4 cup of sauce. Place the “volcano” into the oven, with a meat thermometer inserted to the center.
Cook for 45 minutes. Check the thermometer. When the
internal temperature reaches 175'- F., remove from the oven.
Pour the sauce into the crater, making sure that rivulets of
sauce run down the mountain sides. Place strands of Mozzarella
cheese shreds onto the rivulets and in the crater to mimic the
glowing hot lava. Place in the oven until the cheese melts
slightly. Remove from the oven and place onto a serving
platter. Slice into eight equal wedges and serve with little
men made from toothpicks and Vienna sausage and toothpicks
(half covered by lava). Make trees with Broccoli to finish the
hapless village. Your kids will love it, and your guests will
gasp with delight. (Omit the little men if you want. That
might be a bit much).

And for desert, how about a good soup (from another of my cookbooks. hey, that's where some of my best recipes are:chef:):
Strawberry Soup
Strawberries are so versatile. You can serve them fresh, unadorned, or with cream and sugar, sliced, whole, dipped in chocolate, or yogurt. They’re great in shakes, puddings, sauces, jams, etc. The strawberry is truly one of the great foods.
In this recipe, we will use them to make a refreshing soup that can be eaten hot or cold (though I prefer cold). The ingredients are simple; the method is simple; and the result is spectacular.
Ingredients:
2 cups fresh Strawberries
2 cups Milk
1 cup Heavy or Whipping Cream
½ cup sour cream
2 tbs. sugar (or equivalent sweetener of choice)
Place all ingredients, except the sugar, into a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into a suitable bowl and mix in the sugar. Refrigerate until cold. Serve with a halved fresh strawberry on top.
I need not go on with this category except to say that you can use everything from avocado to tomato (yes, tomatoes are really a fruit) in desert soups. They can be creamy-smooth, or chunks of fruit swimming in a fruity syrup. And they don’t always have to be sweet.
Whatever your favorite fruit is, it can be served up as a compliment to any meal, or as an indulgent little snack, all by itself. Play with your favorite fruits, be they apples, peaches, or melons. And delight your family friends, and yourself with this little known category of soups.

That should give you at least some ideas.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Two nights ago I roasted a couple of chickens with acorn squash, sweet potatoes, green onions, garlic cloves, carrots & butternut squash (and many herbs)
Anyway, yesterday for a delicious lunch, I took the leftover veggies, added some chicken & vegetable stock & warmed it on the stove. Then pureed with my stick blender. (and added more spices). Probably the best autumn soup I've had in ages and no teeth are necessary:chef:

DH has to get almost all his teeth pulled and get dentures ASAP. Dec 7th he is getting the majority of them out. He has to heal for 6 weeks before they'll pull the front teeth and give him dentures.

So, during thisi 6 weeks, I need ideas for soft foods for him. He likes FLAVOR. He puts "sauce" on everything...ranch dressing, salsa ranch, BBQ, sweet and sour, etc. Nothing goes naked in this house.

Any suggestions, other than the normal eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, mashed potatoes, etc?

I need to find a way for him to eat meat with only his front teeth...

Angie, hope all goes well, and there's little or no pain.

Quiche - you can add in almost anything - seafood, cheeses of choice -- and I would make it crustless

Eggplant parmesan

I love pasta... and there are so many ways to go - i.e. fettucinne alfredo, baked ziti with ground beef or ground sausage

Meatballs & spaghetti - check out my post re ricotta meatballs. (There's also a link to chicken meatballs with chili.)

Tomato Paella - posted a link here

Mushroom Risotto

Shepard's Pie

Arancini

Potato, zuke, broc, or carrot pancakes. Serve wi sour cream, applesauce or horseradish.

Mozzarella sticks with marinara dipping sauce

Meatloaf - chicken/beef/turkey - add some spinach and mozzarella (hot sauce if you like)

Pizza

French toast

Any soft sammiches - ham & cheese, tuna/egg/shrimp/crab salad

Devilled eggs

Frittatas

Smoothies for dessert

Souffles - eggs/cheese and add in finely chopped veggies like broc. etc

Steamed veggies

Crepes with any filling of choice

Lasagna

Pudding & rice pudding

Pumpkin soup or any soup w finely chopped veggie - cheddar beer, broc cheese, etc or onion soup.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom