Make Ahead Freezable Foods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't want to get into any personal problems here and neither want accusations of preaching - but I really think almost everyone can be tempted into doing some kind of cooking themselves.

And very often it's something they will quickly learn - the more they know - the easier to go the next step.

There are a lot of practical reasons as well - people do get older - get ill - become disabled - get divorced - children need good nutritious food when 'the cook' is not available etc.

And it often is a new joy for the 'student' - as well as giving them a greater appreciation for good food and what's involved even when they are not doing the cooking.

And even with this freezer thing - foods can be partially prepared - allowing the final 'cook' to get involved - and the next time go further - and soon fly solo.

Again i don't want to harp on this particular case - but I really know that there are a lot of non-cooks that could benefit tremendously (as well as their families) by getting involved.

I agree, however, my boyfriend is working 12 to 24 hour shifts right now, and usually will not have two days off in a row. He will barely have time for doing his laundry, let alone preparing meals. When I ask him to help in the kitchen, he does. Its just not a great time right now for me to throw him into it...it will end up being more expensive as well, because I know he will be tired and hungry and just buy something quick.

My freezer is full of all kinds of homemade soups: chicken rice, mushroom, pasta y fagioli, split pea, beef barley, bean and ham, chicken corn chowder, others.

Grab some boxes of chicken broth, cut up onions, celery, carrots, whatever meat you'd like, throw in a bay leaf, maybe some thyme, cook in slow cooker or on stovetop, add whatever starch (usually better precooked), some s&p, and you can make almost anything into a passable soup. Great with saltines or corn chips.

I freeze mine in cottage cheese containers, which gives us enough for 2. I nuke it in a glass container. Don't forget to label!

Last edited:
My freezer is full of all kinds of homemade soups: chicken rice, mushroom, pasta y fagioli, split pea, beef barley, bean and ham, chicken corn chowder, others.

Grab some boxes of chicken broth, cut up onions, celery, carrots, whatever meat you'd like, throw in a bay leaf, maybe some thyme, cook in slow cooker or on stovetop, add whatever starch (usually better precooked), some s&p, and you can make almost anything into a passable soup. Great with saltines or corn chips.

I freeze mine in cottage cheese containers, which gives us enough for 2. I nuke it in a glass container. Don't forget to label!

+1

I like my old stand-by of creating frozen meals from leftovers. One serving, meals I cooked and I don't have to eat the same thing the next day. When I get home and don't feel like cooking...perfect!

+1

I like my old stand-by of creating frozen meals from leftovers. One serving, meals I cooked and I don't have to eat the same thing the next day. When I get home and don't feel like cooking...perfect!

I keep trying to do that, but they get eaten as snacks or lunches. I would love to have a stash of them.

taxlady said:
I keep trying to do that, but they get eaten as snacks or lunches. I would love to have a stash of them.

I like doing that too. I cook too big for 2 people! We are contemplating another freezer.

Oh, another freezable idea, make an egg casserole (beaten eggs, some milk, chopped cooked meat, chopped veg of choice with onions, shredded cheese, perhaps some herbs, s&p), pour into greased baking dish, bake, cool, cut into squares, wrap individually, freeze in large ziplock freezer bag. SO can then pull out a square or two and nuke for a minute. Serve with salsa, ketchup, hot sauce, extra cheese, etc.

Last edited:
I like doing that too. I cook too big for 2 people! We are contemplating another freezer.

Oh, another freezable idea, make an egg casserole (beaten eggs, some milk, chopped cooked meat, chopped veg of choice with onions, shredded cheese, perhaps some herbs, s&p), pour into greased baking dish, bake, cool, cut into squares, wrap individually, freeze in large ziplock freezer bag. SO can then pull out a square or two and nuke for a minute. Serve with salsa, ketchup, hot sauce, extra cheese, etc.

Fantastic Idea, Dawg!!!! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom