Not all salts created equal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
After years of using Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt, the DW mistakingly bought a box of Mortons Coarse Kosher Salt.

Diamond Crystal is easy to use because it's very hard to add too much salt.

After one use, I noticed the Morton's added a salty flavor without enhancing the taste of the dish. Basically, it tastes like table salt.:ermm:

I dumped the Mortons...now I'm back to normal.:chef:

It's probably partly due to the fact that Mortons is a finer grind so you pick up more with a pinch that you would with the coarser Diamond cryatal. Also, I believe there is more than just salt in the box.

Magnesium Carbonate, sodium or Potassium hexacyanoferrate as often added as anti-caking agents, although they shouldn`t really have much of a taste in those amounts.

as Andy said the greater mass per pinch is the real cause :)

Good point, YT.

Andy, the size of the granules seemed to be the same, but a different texture. Have you noticed differences with salts, too?

I can't believe how important it's become using certain brands of what is supposed to be the same product.

i don't have the diamond crystal kosher salt down here in houston, but i do have a good kosher salt from the north american salt company.

i now use the morton's kosher salt for "washing" my carbon steel & french steel fry pans.

Jeeks, Morton salt grains pack more closely together than Diamond. I don't know if it's the grain size or shape, but they have been proven in tests to do so.

I saw a chart somewhere (maybe ATK) that said a Tb of Diamond Crystal was equal in weight to a lesser measure of Mortons which, in turn, was equal to even less of a measure of table salt. Sorry, don't remember the details.

Now that you said it, I think I saw that episode. I....We'll never make that mistake again.

LOL-BlackChef

Back
Top Bottom