Olive Brine Weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muzzlet

Senior Cook
My grocery store has a great olive bar that costs $8.99 a pound. I am addicted to these black Cirignola olives. I used to drain the brine from the olives in the container, but they would dry out after a couple of days. So, I started adding some more brine to the container.

Of course, now it weighed more because of the heavier liquid, so it cost more. I bought some today and weighed the olives with and without the brine. It was almost half the weight!! Meaning, it would have cost me about $3.50, instead of $7.00 had I drained the brine off first.

So, now what do I do? Keep this last batch of brine at home, and just keep refilling with the drained olives from the store? I assume because of the high salt content, it would be safe as long as it's kept refrigerated. Could I store the drained olives in plain salt water instead? Tho I imagine it would be hard to get the concentration right, and plain water would probably affect the taste. So, what would you do?
Thanks!!!

What a good idea to keep the brine. If the store will

not let you weigh the olives, then add the brine then I would save the brine. I buy my olives from a small ethnic grocery store. They have us get the olives with a little brine, then weigh the container and then we go and add more brine.

Back
Top Bottom