"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2020, 05:17 PM   #41
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
She needs to be stopped...for the good of your family. And you need to protect her from herself...
Yep. I stopped her cooking altogether. But today, we slept in kinda late, and at noon I walked into the kitchen. She had dumped the entire thing of beautiful vegetable beef soup I had made the day before back into the crockpot. It had been in a Tupperware container in the fridge. We had thrown away the crap she had made.

I noticed the crockpot was on "keep warm" with the lid not all the way on. I took the lid off and sampled the soup. It was like room temperature. I asked her when she put it on, and she said 8AM. So it was sitting around at room temperature for 4 hours.

I gently tried to explain that food can't be left sitting around at room temperature like that and that the crockpot takes too long to heat up (especially on "keep warm"). She wasn't hearing any of it. She said: "I can't cook, I can't even make food, what am I supposed to eat?!?!?!"

Um, there's like 2 jars of peanut butter in the pantry, jar of Smucker's Strawberry Preserves in fridge, lunch meat, cheese, lettuce, bread, cans of food, etc.. Or maybe heck use a ladle and dish yourself up some of my yummy veggie beef soup and microwave it.

Sheltering in place is bad enough without her nonsense. :) I am beginning to see why she had nowhere to go even though she has like 40 relatives in this area.

jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:32 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
Yep. I stopped her cooking altogether. But today, we slept in kinda late, and at noon I walked into the kitchen. She had dumped the entire thing of beautiful vegetable beef soup I had made the day before back into the crockpot. It had been in a Tupperware container in the fridge. We had thrown away the crap she had made.

I noticed the crockpot was on "keep warm" with the lid not all the way on. I took the lid off and sampled the soup. It was like room temperature. I asked her when she put it on, and she said 8AM. So it was sitting around at room temperature for 4 hours.

I gently tried to explain that food can't be left sitting around at room temperature like that and that the crockpot takes too long to heat up (especially on "keep warm"). She wasn't hearing any of it. She said: "I can't cook, I can't even make food, what am I supposed to eat?!?!?!"

Um, there's like 2 jars of peanut butter in the pantry, jar of Smucker's Strawberry Preserves in fridge, lunch meat, cheese, lettuce, bread, cans of food, etc.. Or maybe heck use a ladle and dish yourself up some of my yummy veggie beef soup and microwave it.

Sheltering in place is bad enough without her nonsense. :) I am beginning to see why she had nowhere to go even though she has like 40 relatives in this area.
I'm really sorry you're having to deal with this. Is this the same hard-luck friend who kept borrowing money from your wife and spending it on fast food? Just curious.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:39 AM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
I think that some of those on food network, and some of the PBS shows I've seen (briefly) got on because they, or a relative, gave a huge donation. That's my theory, and I'm stickin' to it!
agree.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:26 PM   #44
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm really sorry you're having to deal with this. Is this the same hard-luck friend who kept borrowing money from your wife and spending it on fast food? Just curious.
No, this is a different person. The person you're referring to sadly passed away last year. This is a different hard luck case. Fortunately, most of our friends/relatives are not hard luck cases. This one and the one who died are really the only 2 hard luck (bad life decisions to be more accurate) cases.
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #45
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My sister thinks she can cook...she has Hamburger Helper in her cupboard...
What is wrong with Hamburger Helper or Tuna Helper for that matter? I make it at least once every 6 months and I'm still alive.
concreteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:40 AM   #46
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteman View Post
What is wrong with Hamburger Helper or Tuna Helper for that matter? I make it at least once every 6 months and I'm still alive.
Not a thing wrong with it, if you like it. I prefer real fresh foods, not processed. The point was, my sister has never cooked from scratch.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:12 AM   #47
Senior Cook

Good thread.

I've been binge watching Hell's Kitchen lately. I can't believe the positions these contestants hold. I get it, it's a stressful situation. Kitchens are stressful though. I can count on one hand how many times I plated something that wasn't fully cooked and still have fingers leftover, I've made thousands of meals that were prepared and cooked.

Got a friend who thinks he knows how to cook cream of potato. He uses milk only. Invited me over to have some. I got there and he's got everything in the pot. Milk, cheese, potatoes and it's at a rolling boil. He tells me the potatoes still need some cooking.

strmanglr scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook