Red vs white onion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I keep coming across recipes that call for red onions. Is there that big of a difference between red and white onions?

I'm not particular about onions. I enjoy a vidallia onion once in a while. We used to grow red onions, yellow onions, white onions. Really, to me, the Candy onions and Walla walla white onions are much sweeter than my yellow onions. I haven't ever noticed red onions being milder than yellows. I like onions to keep throughout winter, so we're just growing the yellow onions again. We'll use it for everything.

Shallots, and leeks are something to try too. Go with your taste buds, try them raw, try them pickled, try them cooked and see what you like.

When used raw, red onions are for a visual effect. Supposedly they are milder than yellows, with yellow being the strongest flavour.

If you still find them too strong (and this works for most onions being used raw) soak them in water for 10 or 15 minutes. IF I remember, I soak any onions being used raw. (please note the IF)

I notice the red ones being a bit milder than the yellow ones. I use them raw in salads a lot. We use the yellow ones when we have smoked salmon on bagels. We like the punch they give. The red ones are okay for that, but we do prefer the slightly stronger kick of the yellow.

I'm not particular about onions. I enjoy a vidallia onion once in a while. We used to grow red onions, yellow onions, white onions. Really, to me, the Candy onions and Walla walla white onions are much sweeter than my yellow onions.
Sweet onions are a different variety from regular white onions. The type used is Mexican cuisine have a stronger, more harsh flavor.

I remember when I was growing up, purple onions were always mild, and things that were often used raw, in salads, and similar things. However, unless you know the variety you are getting, now there can be very potent purple ones out there! I remember I noticed this many years ago, when I could hardly get through just peeling the first of a batch I got - the first time this ever happened with a purple! I only occasionally buy them, usually a price thing, because they were the cheapest, which seldom happens, but a while back yellow onions got more expensive than others, for some reason.
Fortunately, this season the price came down.

Foe me its more of a visual thing.
Ive had red ones that were stronger than the yellow, and the other way around. Ive found the white to be the strongest of the 3 (in most situations). That being said, there are many varieties of each color, which Im sure vary in potency.

If eating raw, no matter what color Im using, I just cut them small and/ or thin, so I dont get one big bite of onion.

When cooking, I've never had any that didnt tone down completely during the cooking process.

My wife is more sensitive to he potency than I am. I could cut a bunch of onions and no blink an eye, hen my wife will literralllly have to leave the room cause they are just too strong.

When making like a bean salad, or regular salad or anything like that, the red/ purple color does look nice.

Back
Top Bottom