Shredding Meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eclaires11

Assistant Cook
Hi - new to the site. I love to cook/bake (but still a beginner). I was wondering how do you shred meat. I love stringy chicken for soups, pork for sandwiches, etc. Suggestions?

Hi - new to the site. I love to cook/bake (but still a beginner). I was wondering how do you shred meat. I love stringy chicken for soups, pork for sandwiches, etc. Suggestions?
I usually let the meat cool down the shred with my fingers or you can do it with two forks, It's easy to do..a big welcoime to the group
kadesma

Basically cook the meat, let it cool and pull it apart instead of cutting it up. As kades said it can be done with fingers or two forks but I find the utensils God gave me to work the easiiest and fastest.

I always shred with two forks. Beef, chicken, two forks at all times. I generally like using shredded meat for things like chicken salad, taco meat, tamales, etc and I always use two forks. I don't like using my fingers because I usually have acrylic nails and the meat sticks under the nails. It's kind of gross.

I like to pull the meat apart with my hands. I learned, the hard way, not to leave it in the fridge and do it the next day. It's best when you pull it apart soon after it rests. I just bought some special gloves that can handle the heat. :)

If your meat doesn't shred easily, you didn't cook it enough. If you cook your meat in a crockpot for 8-10 hours it will almost shred itself. I love then to toss in a full bottle of BBQ sauce...well, the contents of the bottle anyway.

If your meat doesn't shred easily, you didn't cook it enough. If you cook your meat in a crockpot for 8-10 hours it will almost shred itself. I love then to toss in a full bottle of BBQ sauce...well, the contents of the bottle anyway.
:) I also like the crock pot method and I also use my hands to shred when meat has cooled.

If I am going to shred meat up, I like to slow cook it in the crock pot first as well. Once it is done I let it rest until it is cool enough to handle then shred with my fingers. Sometimes it is then mixed back into some of the broth and spices to keep it moist and ready to serve, or mixed with BBQ sauce for pulled sandwiches.

For the home and the quantities I cook for at home, I find that either two forks, or using my hands (in latex gloves) will work.

If I'm at work, and doing restaurant quantities (like I did earlier this week), I simmered roughly-cubed leftover roast beef in Au Jus for as long as I could. Then I just strained the meat out, put it into the bowl of a stand mixer, put on the paddle, and let it run for a minute. That meat, mixed with some enchilada sauce, was EXCELLENT and the enchiladas got rave reviews.

After it's cooked and cooled I just use my fingers. Half goes in my mouth, half goes to my kitty, and half goes in the recipe... :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom