"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 26,747
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
A dishwasher (the appliance, not a person) does a pretty good job of cleaning racks. Gets the goo off of places that are hard to clean by hand.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #102
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
A dishwasher (the appliance, not a person) does a pretty good job of cleaning racks. Gets the goo off of places that are hard to clean by hand.
My dishwasher just broke, and hopefully I'll be able to get a new one soon. If anyone has a recommendation for a good one - the low end price wise - I'm all ears.
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #103
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks
Depending on whether you're going to use the pan juices or discard them, if the latter then cover the pan with aluminum foil for NO cleaning. When you're done just wad up the foil and throw it away.
Love it! The less cleaning the better. Sometimes I avoid cooking because of how much work it is to clean up afterwards.
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #104
Executive Chef
 
Greg Who Cooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in my kitchen
Posts: 3,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Love it! The less cleaning the better. Sometimes I avoid cooking because of how much work it is to clean up afterwards.
It's always a good idea to give thought to ways to minimize unnecessary work.

Another thing that works for me is to clean while I'm cooking. For example, while I'm reducing a sauce I might clean up some of the dishes I had used for pre-measured ingredients (mise en place) and put them away. On a good day by the time I serve dinner the only dirty dishes, pots and pans are the one I'm serving from.
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #105
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
It's always a good idea to give thought to ways to minimize unnecessary work.

Another thing that works for me is to clean while I'm cooking. For example, while I'm reducing a sauce I might clean up some of the dishes I had used for pre-measured ingredients (mise en place) and put them away. On a good day by the time I serve dinner the only dirty dishes, pots and pans are the one I'm serving from.
The first thing I do whether I am baking or cooking, is to fill the sink up with hot soapy water. During the three minutes it takes to cream the butter and sugar, I can get a lot washed that have been soaking. By the time the cake is ready to go into the oven, all I have left to wash is the spatula, mixing bowl and my hands.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #106
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
all I have left to wash is the spatula, mixing bowl and my hands.
Now Addie... aren't ya supposed to wash those first?
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #107
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Now Addie... aren't ya supposed to wash those first?
I have one of those "hands free" dispensers. I have become obsessive about washing the counter tops and my hands ever since I had the Norovirus. I wouldn't wish that on an ex husband.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #108
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 904
So I tried using a meat thermometer and a broiling pan tonight and had some logistical problems.

I attempted to put the thermometer in a chicken thigh while it was in the oven and couldn't reach it because my oven is so small. I ended up having to pull the pan out of the oven, take the temperature of the meat, and put it back. Is this what people normally do?

Also there was a spot on the bottom of one of the thighs that seemed red and undercooked. I don't think I could have left the meat in longer (40 minutes at 400) because the rest of the thigh seemed a bit dry. What could I have done differently?
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #109
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 48,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
So I tried using a meat thermometer and a broiling pan tonight and had some logistical problems.

I attempted to put the thermometer in a chicken thigh while it was in the oven and couldn't reach it because my oven is so small. I ended up having to pull the pan out of the oven, take the temperature of the meat, and put it back. Is this what people normally do?

Also there was a spot on the bottom of one of the thighs that seemed red and undercooked. I don't think I could have left the meat in longer (40 minutes at 400) because the rest of the thigh seemed a bit dry. What could I have done differently?

What temperatures did your thermometer read?
How many different spots did you check temps?

It's OK that you take the meat out to check the temps.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #110
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

What temperatures did your thermometer read?
How many different spots did you check temps?

It's OK that you take the meat out to check the temps.
I checked the meat in one spot, the middle of the thigh. At first I put it in too far and actually dented the pan :( After 20 minutes it was 160 and at 30 minutes it was 188.
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #111
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 48,422
The joint where the thigh attaches to the body is always the last place to cook through.

188º F is a good temp. for thigh meat. next time check the breast at the thickest part and the thigh in a couple of spots. If you hit at least 165º in the breast and 185º in the thigh, take the bird out, cover it loosely with foil and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. It will finish cooking during that resting time.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #112
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
The joint where the thigh attaches to the body is always the last place to cook through.

188º F is a good temp. for thigh meat. next time check the breast at the thickest part and the thigh in a couple of spots. If you hit at least 165º in the breast and 185º in the thigh, take the bird out, cover it loosely with foil and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. It will finish cooking during that resting time.
I rested it for only 5 minutes because I was hungry. Do you think that might have been part of the problem? Seems like the chicken keeps cooking after it's out of the oven.
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #113
Assistant Cook
 
Bmhughes89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Thanks for clarifying! How often do you usually check the temperature with the first type of thermometer you described.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
I rested it for only 5 minutes because I was hungry. Do you think that might have been part of the problem? Seems like the chicken keeps cooking after it's out of the oven.
It certainly does keep cooking once out of the oven. Resting it will allow the juices to be absorbed by the breast, thigh, ect. Flipping the chicken breast mid cook and resting for 10 minutes will help out a lot.
Bmhughes89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #114
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmhughes89

It certainly does keep cooking once out of the oven. Resting it will allow the juices to be absorbed by the breast, thigh, ect. Flipping the chicken breast mid cook and resting for 10 minutes will help out a lot.
So flipping the thigh mid-cook will work if I'm using a rack?
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #115
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 26,747
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
So I tried using a meat thermometer and a broiling pan tonight and had some logistical problems.

I attempted to put the thermometer in a chicken thigh while it was in the oven and couldn't reach it because my oven is so small. I ended up having to pull the pan out of the oven, take the temperature of the meat, and put it back. Is this what people normally do?

Also there was a spot on the bottom of one of the thighs that seemed red and undercooked. I don't think I could have left the meat in longer (40 minutes at 400) because the rest of the thigh seemed a bit dry. What could I have done differently?
I usually pull the rack forward to get the thermometer into the meat.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #116
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 11,671
Again, I put the thermometer into the breast meat, placing the tip right next to the thigh joint, and pull the bird when the temp reaches 155' F. Like the others, I let it rest 15 minutes before carving. Unlike some, I don't flip the bird. I cook it breast-side up for the entire cooking time. The meat is so juicy, it will squirt you when you bite it. It doesn't matter if I'm giving it a bit of smoke over a divided charcoal Bed on my Webber, or baked/roasted in the oven. It comes out the same.

If you have the time, and you're still having trouble with dry meat, try this. Roast the chicken the day before, making sure to follow the above directions. Carve the meat and place into the roasting pan, or other suitable pan with all of the meat juices that accumulated in the pan. Add enough water to the pan juices to cover. Place int the fridge until the next day, and heat in the juices at 200', until warm enough to eat . Serve hot. The skin won't be as crispy, but the meat will be ridiculously juicy and tender.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.