Toasting flour tortillas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
I could not find the thread where Kayelle and Cheryl J described this technique, but I wanted to mention - I had leftover fajita filling from dinner last night, so I warmed some up for lunch today. From habit, I also heated up a flour tortilla briefly in the microwave.

It was a little tough. As I was eating it, I remembered Kayelle and Cheryl once described how they toast flour tortillas over the open flame on a gas stove. So I made a second batch of filling and this time, I toasted the tortilla. Mmmm, so good! It was a little crisp, a little soft and folded easily. So much tastier, and done in the same time as microwaving! I have learned a new, delicious technique. Thank you, ladies! :heart:

Sometimes I will toast corn tortillas in the toaster oven, and sometimes I will use a cast iron pan. I have an electric stove so no toasting over a burner. flour tortillas I prefer to put inside a plastic bag and nuke them just long enough to get them warm.

I'm so glad to hear you liked the technique GG. I agree it makes a tastier tortilla, and the flipping with tongs over the open fire is just more fun than the safer pan method.
Fun in the kitchen...;):chef:

What a FABULOUS video James!! That's really poetry in motion, and no wimpy tongs for her!!

I was very honored that they let me film them in action. When it came time to edit the video I could think of nothing to say that would have added to the video. They way they work together showed thru.

Glad you like the flour tortillas that way, GG! I love the little lightly charred blistery bits from putting them on an open flame. If I'm making burritos instead of tacos or fajitas, I put them in a plastic bag in the microwave for a few seconds, since burritos require more folding and need to be more pliable. :)

James, I enjoyed the video, thank you for sharing it. Wow! Can those ladies ever stretch, flip, and spin those tortillas like nobody's business!

James, I enjoyed the video, thank you for sharing it. Wow! Can those ladies ever stretch, flip, and spin those tortillas like nobody's business!

Better than most pizza making videos that I have seen. They do it in a very hot kitchen with big smiles.

BTW: The tortillas they make are some of the best I have ever had.

I was very honored that they let me film them in action. When it came time to edit the video I could think of nothing to say that would have added to the video. They way they work together showed thru.

Your background music was both beautiful and perfect James..no words needed. Good job!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom