Anyone else not like the taste of tomatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
100% agreed.

Going back to the original poster/question of this thread. Andy M asked a pertinent question but doesn't appear to have had a response.

Nobody has come in and said they hate/dislike tomatoes either.

Maybe in the face of overwhelming tomato support, the OP has backed away.

Well, I mean, he asked a question and we answered. Like a couple of others have commented, I'm curious as to why he ordered a tomato-based dish if he doesn't like them.

Well, georgevan, you've certainly flushed out the tomato lovers.

Are you saying the meal was more heavy on tomatoes than usual or that any tomato dish is too much?

I wonder why you went to an Italian restaurant if you dislike tomatoes.

It was very heavy on the tomatoes. But I have to admit that I made tomato soup a few months ago and it was quite good. So I shouldn't have jumped to the conclusion that I don't like tomatoes all inclusively. Anyway I am new to tomato usage in the recipes that I have made and therefore will retract that statement that I hate tomatoes.

It was very heavy on the tomatoes. But I have to admit that I made tomato soup a few months ago and it was quite good. So I shouldn't have jumped to the conclusion that I don't like tomatoes all inclusively. Anyway I am new to tomato usage in the recipes that I have made and therefore will retract that statement that I hate tomatoes.

I feel tomatoes have had a reprieve from George and a vindication generally. :)

Next time order linguine and clams. No tomato sauce and a traditional dish that most everyone likes.
I love tomatoes. My garden is done with tomatoes and now I am buying them again. Makes me want to puke.
The BLT is one of my favorite sandwiches.

It may be the tomato product combined with the garlic, onion, and spices just wasn't pleasant for you. Tomato soup generally has a sweeter component, and isn't as acidic as sauces can be. Often, dairy is also added to tomato soup. You may enjoy a bit of tomato in dishes like sloppy joe, or a bolognaise sauce, where the tomato isn't the main flavor. Sun dried tomato adds great depth of flavor tew stews as well. I'm glad you told us about liking your tomato soup. It opens a whole world of possibilities for you.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We built a greenhouse twelve years ago, mostly so I could grow tomatoes in our savage climate (45 frost-free days on average). It's worked out well. Here's a recent day's pick:

83cdLDV.jpg

I puree all we need for sauce and soup, with plenty for al fresco eating. We also grow pole beans, cucumbers, bell peppers, green, herbs, and other warm-climate stuff, which enhances our cookery and saves a lot of money (given an hour's drive to the nearest market.)

While liking tomatoes in general, I don't much like the pale, pulpy hybrids bred for shipping qualities (and to hell with flavor).

Last edited:
Oh, my! I would be concerned that there might be similar issues in the GI? Do you have issues with other nightshades? It isn't uncommon.
It seems to just be tomatoes. I had some last night and my hands are hurting.

I'll stop and have none for the next week and see.

Not sure about GI distress. Maybe. But my gut is so random, it will take a bit more experimenting.

It seems to just be tomatoes. I had some last night and my hands are hurting.

I'll stop and have none for the next week and see.

Not sure about GI distress. Maybe. But my gut is so random, it will take a bit more experimenting.

I will keep good thoughts for you!! Keep us posted.

Next time order linguine and clams. No tomato sauce and a traditional dish that most everyone likes.
I love tomatoes. My garden is done with tomatoes and now I am buying them again. Makes me want to puke.

Mine too. I just had a BLT (with homegrown tomato) yesterday for lunch.

I grow tomatoes inside the house. Where there's a will, there's a way! ;)

I grew up with a Italian step-grandfather. He taught my father how to make pasta sauce. So, I ate a lot of it and really liked it, even the sauce my father didn't make. So, now that I am up there in years, I find that I don't like anything with tomato sauce on/in it. I am just attributing it to my taste buds changing as I get older, because there are a few other things I don't like to eat anymore, like a few certain spices. But......sometimes I do wonder if it is me, or are certain foods grown/raised differently than when I was younger. A lot of food just does not taste as good as then.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with you, cookieee! Although, I've attributed some of my difficulties with foods is due to available brands. It is very, very hard to find Knudsen up here in the PNW. At least cottage cheese and sour cream. And, Knudsen was always my choice in So. Cal. Consequently, I don't use as much cottage cheese and sour cream as I did in So. Cal. Other things too, like I no longer love the hot, hot spices and foods. And, I'm much less tolerant of lousy foods...LOL. If it isn't great, why bother?

And I tend to agree with you Ginny. I have not been in a grocery store for some years now. I have no idea what is going on. lol. I'm sure a lot of brands have come and gone since last I saw them.

I tend to agree with you, cookieee! Although, I've attributed some of my difficulties with foods is due to available brands. It is very, very hard to find Knudsen up here in the PNW. At least cottage cheese and sour cream. And, Knudsen was always my choice in So. Cal. Consequently, I don't use as much cottage cheese and sour cream as I did in So. Cal. Other things too, like I no longer love the hot, hot spices and foods. And, I'm much less tolerant of lousy foods...LOL. If it isn't great, why bother?

You definitely don't want to try my Raging Bull Salsa, so tasty, but you can't get hotter:ohmy:

Have you tried the Darigold, or the Tillamook brands? There are also small farm cottage cheeses that are very good, cultured properly.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks, Chief! I have tried the Darigold and Tillamook. And Daisy and store brands too. For cottage cheese, we think that Kroger brand comes the closest to Knudsen. For sour cream, I think Tillamook is more "tolerable". But clearly not the same.

Now, what is better than Knudsen is the Umpqua (or UmPaPa, as I like to refer to it) Strawberry Milk. Oh, man! Just like melted ice cream. Sadly, most places nearby don't carry it...so we have to go south for camping trips in order to find it!! Worth it!

Well, georgevan, you've certainly flushed out the tomato lovers.

Are you saying the meal was more heavy on tomatoes than usual or that any tomato dish is too much?

I wonder why you went to an Italian restaurant if you dislike tomatoes.

It's like going to an Italian restaurant and saying you don't like cheese.

Gillian

There's nothing better than homegrown tomatoes.

Homegrown tomatoes indeed sound wonderful, 100% organic.

However, I believe they are not cold-resistant. They can only be grown during the summer months in places like Canada. Which is a shame, cause I do like them quite a bit. The flavor and texture aren't bad, and each bite is filled with an impressive array of nutrients. I wish the organic ones walmart sells weren't so expensive.

Homegrown tomatoes indeed sound wonderful, 100% organic.

However, I believe they are not cold-resistant. They can only be grown during the summer months in places like Canada. Which is a shame, cause I do like them quite a bit. The flavor and texture aren't bad, and each bite is filled with an impressive array of nutrients. I wish the organic ones walmart sells weren't so expensive.

Even in the summer, it is hard to grow tomatoes in the PNW! Unless you have a green house...or grow them inside your home. Which is what I do. I've got 5 tomato plants growing right now. A new crop, hoping to have tomatoes in the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom