Anyone else not like the taste of tomatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tend to agree with you, cookieee! Although, I've attributed some of my difficulties with foods is due to available brands. It is very, very hard to find Knudsen up here in the PNW. At least cottage cheese and sour cream. And, Knudsen was always my choice in So. Cal. Consequently, I don't use as much cottage cheese and sour cream as I did in So. Cal. Other things too, like I no longer love the hot, hot spices and foods. And, I'm much less tolerant of lousy foods...LOL. If it isn't great, why bother?

There's a little drive in restaurant in my home town called the West Pier Drive-In. They make some of the best burgers I
've ever eaten. What made them so popular though, was their cold cut submarine sandwiches. It was similar to a muffuletta, but on a sub bun, and included Mortadella, Salami, and ham, or rather Prosciutto, along with sliced green peppers, provolone, sled onion, ripe tomato slices, and chopped black olives, all dressed with EVOO. The sandwiches were all made the night before they were sold, and refrigerated to allow all of the flavors to marry together. It was the only place in town that made subs. We had as chains only KFC (when they used tho Colonels' original recipe)
, a Dog & Suds, and an A7W root beer stand As an adult, I was at home on leave, and purchased a West Pier sub. It just wasn't the same. I asked the owner why it was different. H stated that everything was made the same way, but that he could no longer get the same quality cold cuts, or cheese. It made me kind of sad. That sub was one of the best I'd had.

For an Italian sub, I still haven't found one with the same quality at any sub/hoagie/grinder place I've tried. Fortunately, I can make a really great Italian sub at home.

So yes, the quality of available foods isn't what it once was.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

<<Fortunately, I can make a really great Italian sub at home.

So yes, the quality of available foods isn't what it once was.>>

Things have changed and there are a lot of foods I've learned to make at home, in the past couple of years. It was a pain at first, but I think they are now more routine. I too enjoy great homemade sub sandwiches. I like getting inspiration from Firehouse Subs menu - https://www.firehousesubs.com/media/1237/fhs2bw-menuupdate_localspecials.pdf - especially in the cooler months, since there's are warm sandwiches. I use a steamer in a wok, pile the meats and/or cheese on a piece of taco wrapper (or parchment). I let that warm up while I prep the rolls and add-ons...including tomatoes! ;)

Makes a nice lunch or dinner and seems a bit special?

Things have changed and there are a lot of foods I've learned to make at home, in the past couple of years. It was a pain at first, but I think they are now more routine. I too enjoy great homemade sub sandwiches. I like getting inspiration from Firehouse Subs menu - https://www.firehousesubs.com/media/1237/fhs2bw-menuupdate_localspecials.pdf - especially in the cooler months, since there's are warm sandwiches. I use a steamer in a wok, pile the meats and/or cheese on a piece of taco wrapper (or parchment). I let that warm up while I prep the rolls and add-ons...including tomatoes! ;)

Makes a nice lunch or dinner and seems a bit special?

Best sub I currently know of is from a little deli attached to a Marathon gas station, and mini mart in Gulliver, MI. They have this thin crust sub bun that is cloud soft. They drizzle EVOO on both sides, then add sliced tomato, sweet bell pepper, sliced, sweet onion, Soprasetta, good pepperoni, Mortadella, and hot capicola. Top it with sliced black olives, and provolone, and fresh basil leaves, with shredded lettuce. Put the top bun on, and heat in a microwave that also crisps the outside of the bun. Everything is hot, with a lightly crisp outside crust. It's delicious. If you're ever driving West on U.S.2, headed for Manistique, stop and get one of thos subs.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom