Bagna Cauda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RDG

Senior Cook
This is a Piemontese Dish, of which many versions exist. There are some more rustic, and other sweeter, but all of them have the real particularity that you can eat more and more, without feeling full. And it's not a joke.

Ingredients (serves four)
400 grams of extra-virgin olive oil; 200 grams of salted anchovies, 100 grams of garlic; 50 grams of butter; 500 ml. of milk.
Peel and slice the garlic, and soak it in milk for about three hours in an earthenware pot (make sure to use a flame breaker, or the pot may crack). Clean the anchovies, add the milk mixture, oil and butter. Simmer slowly for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot in individual pots. (usually, there is a particular pot service, with single little place for little flames, to mantain lighted under the pots).Bagna Cauda is eaten by dipping in it all sorts of raw or cooked vegetables, including peppers, onions, spring onions, cauliflower, beetroot and boiled potatoes.
Originally, Bagna Cauda was made with walnut oil, because olive oil is not produced in Piedmont. To evoke that taste and that tradition, you can add a few peeled and ground walnuts while La Bagna is cooking.
Eggs can be scrambled in the leftovers and it' s really perfect as dressing for grilled peppers. Buon appetito!

( a second version - the one i like better - use the same quantity of anchovies and garlic )

I make a bagna cauda (recipe given by a dear Italian friend) that uses sour cream and half-n-half cream in it. We love it!!! I also use seafood and steak to dip into it besides veggies. Have used the leftover mixed with pasta but have never tried it with scrambled eggs. That sounds good!! Thank you for passing on the idea!!

As a member of the Boneyard Bocci Club, I have tasted some mighty fine Bagna Cauda, made by real Italians. Some had cream, some didn't, but it was always wonderful.
I like it best without the cream. Just the olive oil, anchovies, garlic and butter is fine for me, along with crusty bread and steamed cabbage.

Hey, this is another great idea for this weekend!! I will post this recipe on the "dine with us" section, too... if it is okay with you!!

Back
Top Bottom