Candied Butternut Squash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Candied Butternut Squash

Yield: 6 servings

3 md Butternut Squash; (About 4
-- 1/2 Lb Total)
1/3 c Packed Brown Sugar
2 tb Molasses
2 tb Margarine; Softened
1 ts Finely Shredded Lemon Peel;
-- Note 1

1/2 ts Ground Cinnamon
1/4 ts Ground Cloves

Brown Sugar; Optional
Ground Cloves; Optional
Lemon Peel Curls; Optional

Note 1: The original recipe used orange peel for both the finely shredded part and the optional part. I didn't have any oranges so I used lemon and it was very good.

Reggie Note: I used 1 large 4 1/2 lb butternut squash, cut it in half and made this recipe for that half. The other half will be used soon in another recipe. I would also double the brown sugar, molasses, margarine, peel, cinnamon, and cloves....there was just enough for our large squash half. It only fed the 2 of us.

Any winter squash can be used with this recipe, but you'll love the satiny texture of butternut squash.

Scrub squash; halve lengthwise and remove seeds. Place halves, cut side up, in a large roasting pan. In a mixing bowl combine sugar, molasses, margarine, lemon (or orange) peel, cinnamon, and cloves. Spoon mixture into squash halves. Bake, covered, in a 350F oven for 40 min (took us about 20 min longer then this for our half squash). Stir sugar mixture; uncover and bake 15 min more or till squash is tender. Sprinkle with additional brown sugar and ground cloves, and garnish with lemon (or orange) peel curls, if desired.

Makes 6 side-dish servings.

Back
Top Bottom