Great (appropriate taste and texture) vegetarian burgers - Adzuki bean-based

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
I just thought I'd share this recipe: http://www.get-real.co.uk/Quick%20Get%20Real%20Adzuki%20Burgers%20Traditional/QUICKG_1.HTM

Previously, I tried using lentils and black turtle beans as the base ingredients, but the texture was always like I'd mixed legumes and breadcrumbs and formed them into burger shapes! The burgers I just made and ate; I swear that the texture was just like meat burgers!

I did deviate from the original flight-plan, so I'm not certain if it's a simple case of finding the right bean (adzuki/aduki) or if also happened to have other ingredients in the correct proportions (I hate measuring things out).

Deviations:
About 2/3 cup of adzuki beans soaked for a day at room temperature and transferred to refrigerator at about 0 degrees celcius (which I corrected this morning) for two days
No marmite used
Soy sauce and strained tomato used to facilitate blending (through lubrication of mixture)
Seasoning: monosodium glutamate, paprika, random yellow powder left by previous occupant (some kind of flavoursome thing)
Breadcrumbs added to final mixture until mixture falls apart a little bit during stirring.

I shall continue my ad-hoc experimentation to determine the critical factors.

Edit: I just remembered something else which may have been crucial - I forgot to cook the beans! I went straight from soaking to blending. This will be duly investigated.

While this may be safe, I'm unsure.
I'm not much for spreading unverified information but I don't really know if uncooked beans are good for you or toxic.
I haven't checked snopes and I don't know the specifics.
Certain grains and beans need to be cooked to be safe, is my feeling, though I don't know for certain.
Here is just one site and don't believe everything you read.
Living and Raw Foods Community Support :: Recipes and Food Preparation :: raw beans?
I like the idea of a good substitute for ground beef with beans, I still think it may need more research.
I'll be listening and trying to learn from here. Thanks, ~Bliss

Thanks for raising that concern, Bliss. I have contacted the UK government Food Standards Agency on the subject.

Edit: From the nice people at the FSA!:

FSA said:
Aduki beans may contain small amounts of lectins, but these levels would
not be expected to cause the effect associated with kidney beans. A study
looking at the haemagglutination properties of a variety of commonly
consumed beans found that Aduki beans did not cause agglutination and were
therefore considered non-toxic.

Soaking and adequate cooking would be necessary to soften the beans so that
they can be digested fully, but boiling would not be necessary to make them
safe.

Separate issue

The original recipe says to mix the egg with the bread crumbs and the to mix that with the rest, but I don't think that's smart at all since the breadcrumbs absorb the egg which is then difficult to distribute through the mixture. I am trying to optimise the protocol along the following lines:

Add 150 grams drained, pre-soaked adzuki beans, one roughly chopped onion, 200 grams of strained tomato, 60 ml soy sauce, seasoning (e.g. salt/MSG, pepper, paprika) and one egg to blender and blend to a course or smooth consistency according to taste. Empty blender into a bowl and stir in enough breadcrumbs that the mixture is somewhat dry/semisolid. Form into patties and fry on both sides in a little oil.

Since for certain recipes, care is taken not to over-beat the egg, I wonder if it is appropriate to blend it with the other ingredients in this recipe?

Great news Sean!
I'll give these a try and report back. I'm out of adzuki beans right now but I'm going to first try lentils and then the improvement with adzuki beans. Thanks for checking! ~Bliss

Hey blissful, if you choose not to cook the beans first (I still haven't checked whether or not it makes a difference) then be sure to soak for an extended period in the fridge (I soaked mine for between two and five days - they wind up pretty soft by then).

I've not tried it with lentils (although I have tried other burger recipes involving lentils). If they turn out good, let me know what you did, 'cause I've got a bag of lentils and they're pretty cheap. Thanks :)

I tried with lentils myself (couldn't wait for you to report back) and found them to be a bit different (preferred adzuki beans). They seemed moister/less cohesive and less similar to real burgers using lentils. Next I will try mung beans, and then... the World!! (or quinoa).

I did try lentils, they just taste good, the texture isn't so nice.
I'll get potatoes and adzuki beans on my next store run......haven't forgotten!

Back
Top Bottom