Shrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Edit: see you got your answer.

Try them whenever you can. They're great. I throw out my slices if they're more than 2mm thick. Or save them for cooking later. I don't think they'd cook well, but I haven't tried.

Last edited:
Hey does anyone know how to make those wedge potatoes you can get fresh at some grocery stores where they have all the fresh food like drumsticks and stuff? If you don't know what I'm talking about, they're just regular wedge potatoes, but the "crust" or whatever you'd call it is like.... Seasoned and flaky and dark golden/brownish. That's the one part I can't get. They appear to be baked but I'm not sure.

Hey does anyone know how to make those wedge potatoes you can get fresh at some grocery stores where they have all the fresh food like drumsticks and stuff? If you don't know what I'm talking about, they're just regular wedge potatoes, but the "crust" or whatever you'd call it is like.... Seasoned and flaky and dark golden/brownish. That's the one part I can't get. They appear to be baked but I'm not sure.

Is the crust possibly grated cheese?

Italian Fries - Martha Stewart Recipes

Martha Stewart has a recipe similar to what you are looking for. You just have to cut them bigger than hers are. BTW they are delicious. :angel:

Is the crust possibly grated cheese?

Italian Fries - Martha Stewart Recipes

Martha Stewart has a recipe similar to what you are looking for. You just have to cut them bigger than hers are. BTW they are delicious. :angel:

That looks like a good idea, but I believe the crust is just salt/seasoning that they somehow made flaky. Don't really know. If I knew more about cooking I'm sure I'd know.

Can you purchase a few and tell that way? Or you could ask their kitchen. :angel:

Last edited:
Can you purchase a few and tell that way? Or you could ask their kitchen. :angel:

Sometimes they have people working there that hate themselves and everyone else, but sometimes they have nice people. I'll try to ask when they seem happy. If they can't say I'll buy some and upload pics and describe them more.

This is a good little 'starter book' on mushrooms. I've been foraging wild mushrooms for decades and still there are only about five that I will eat.
I started the first commercial shitake 'mushroom farm' on one of the Gulf Islands. We started with 500 four foot long green alder logs each inoculated with spore plugs.
This how I cook any mushroom store bought or wild harvested:
Wash off any dirt under warm running water using a soft brush. Don't think the mushroom will absorb any water doing it this way. The washing happens so fast the mushroom has no chance to take in any water. Pat dry between paper towels.
With fresh shitakes just break off the stems. Save them to soak over night in the fridge then pour off the 'liquid gold' and use it in a soup/stock/whatever.
Now cover the bottom of a sauté pan with the mushrooms. Don't overcrowd it. You may have to repeat this part. DO NOT put ANYTHING other than the mushrooms in the pan. No butter. No oil. NOTHING. (This is the point where some people don't follow the instructions and end up with a mess.) Heat up the pan to a low to medium heat. Watch the mushrooms. You will see that whatever moisture is in the mushrooms will be gathering in the pan. Carefully with a paper towel blot up this water. In time virtually all the water will be gone leaving dry mushrooms. Remove the mushrooms to a paper towel. Repeat if necessary. When you have all the mushrooms dried out this way wipe out the pan and add a bit of butter and a little pinch of nutmeg. Bring the butter up to medium and add a few mushrooms at a time. Don't overcrowd the pan. Now you have mushrooms that are dying to soak up the butter and nutmeg. Watch the butter disappear and the mushrooms turn a nice golden brown. Repeat. Cooking them without allowing them to release their moisture always results in a dirty looking mushy mess.

Last edited:
Sorry, trouble with upload.
Name of the book is 'All that the rain promises and more by David Arora.

Last edited:
Jojo Potatoes. They are dredged in the same coating that goes on the fried chicken and then deep fried. At least that is how we did them in the several places I worked.

I would wedge cut the potatoes, dredge in plain flour, then buttermilk and then in the same coating that went on the chicken. That was a proprietary blend. Then pressure fry for about 10 minutes. I haven't used a pressure fryer since. But, I think it would work well if you microwaved the potato wedges first until tender, then coat and deep fry you can get a similar result.

So when the thread basically evaporates for lack of interest we then post about potatoes? OK Whatever.

So when the thread basically evaporates for lack of interest we then post about potatoes? OK Whatever.

::shrug:: we go off on tangents sometimes. Sometimes it goes back to the original topic, sometimes not. You don't like potatoes?! :D

I'm going to try breading my jojos next time I think. That sounds great! I usually just coat them in oil, put them in a cage between two wire racks and grill them, flipping once. It's tricky to get them crispy without burning them tho

Last edited:
::shrug:: we go off on tangents sometimes. Sometimes it goes back to the original topic, sometimes not. You don't like potatoes?! :D

I'm going to try breading my jojos next time I think. That sounds great! I usually just coat them in oil, put them in a cage between two wire racks and grill them, flipping once. It's tricky to get them crispy without burning them tho

Yes. It's a lot nicer to just post semi-related questions in one thread rather than making 2 or more threads I feel.

there's a lot of water in mushrooms, so evaporation is considerable. :)

True! I'm interested in trying the technique where you dry the mushrooms in the pan for a little while before adding butter. Sounds divine!! Also thinking about finding some morel hunters this spring. Supposedly you can find them around the area. Tons of oak trees around here.

(See? Back on track :)

Back
Top Bottom