Yuk To Veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mmm, that sounds good, El Aurens. I have a bottle of balsamic vinegar that I'm planning on reducing to use on salads. A combo with soy sauce on veggies sounds really good.

It really was.
I never thought of doing it, let alone finding stir fried Brussel sprouts at a Chinese restaurant, but we were on vacation, I looked up a few restaurants to see if they had anything for us to eat there, and the first thing that popped up on their website, was the Brussel sprouts, as the special of the day. Honestly, I probably should have considered it a red flag, but Im glad I didn't . Ive never been able to make it as well as they did . I also just looked, and its not on their regular menu, so it must be something they do every now and then , or when the Brussel sprouts are in season.

That does sound good! It sounds similar to something I've made with Brussels sprouts, broccoli, boc choy, and probably other veggies through the years. I would make a syrupy glaze using 50/50 thin and thick soy, sugar and Chenkiang vinegar. I have always loved the flavor of Chenkiang vinegar in dip sauces, soups, and other Chinese dishes. I usually start with a little garlic and ginger, then toss the veggies for just a couple of minutes, then add the glaze ingredients, tossing over high heat until the glaze forms. Then I drizzle a little sesame oil over it, and serve.

I've never been a big fan of kale, even the types I've grown myself (though the Russian red was good, and the most tender I tried). However, when I was growing up, Mom used to cook kale the same way all the time, that was pretty good, because it had bacon and garlic in it (those ingredients will improve a lot of things!). She would cook the diced up bacon until crisp, remove to a paper towel, then cook a generous amount of not too finely chopped garlic until just golden, then toss the chopped up kale with it, add a little water, and steam, for maybe 6 or 7 minutes, pour off any water, then stir the bacon in and serve.

I still like my Asian greens better. They grow a lot quicker, too.

Linda, you're so right that it's tough to get a restaurant salad without these icky "teeth sticking" field greens.
I love a romaine salad but sometimes I want something other than a Caesar Salad.

Attachments

• no-9-salad.jpg
    no-9-salad.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 144
Linda, you're so right that it's tough to get a restaurant salad without these icky "teeth sticking" field greens.
I love a romaine salad but sometimes I want something other than a Caesar Salad.

Oh my gawd, that looks disgusting :yuk:

One of my favorite salads is the Asian Chicken Sesame salad from Panera. It's all romaine hearts (my favorite part) and so delicious with that sesame dressing. I'll have to get one of those for lunch this week when I go back to work.

Every time I see this thread topic, I feel a little sad, because I love most vegetables and I'd rather think about new ways to use the ones I like instead of talking about the ones I don't :(

That said, I don't like beets, turnips or eggplant, or bitter greens. I don't consider chard or bok choy to be bitter and I like those sautéed or stir-fried with aromatics and some kind of vinegar. I have quite a collection of vinegars.

That said... :LOL:

I think most of the kind of people who are regulars on a food forum like veggies. But, with some many varieties, there are bound to be some we don't like.

I think it is a fun topic. It has no productive reason to exist... it's just fun.

BTW, I haven't quite figured out what people see in eggplant. It does nothing for me.

CD ;)

One of my favorite salads is the Asian Chicken Sesame salad from Panera. It's all romaine hearts (my favorite part) and so delicious with that sesame dressing. I'll have to get one of those for lunch this week when I go back to work.

They changed the name to the Russian Roulette Salad. You never know which salad might have E.coli.

CD ;)

Now spinach I love. I love baby spinach salads as well as putting baby spinach in wraps, pita sandwiches, soups, scrambled up with eggs etc.

I do the same, especially with scrambled eggs. Cooking for one, when I buy a bunch or bag of spinach I try to add it to everything. Especially my morning scrambled eggs. I chop it up and add it to tuna, egg salad sandwiches, green salads, use it in place of lettuce in cheese or meat sandwiches, rice, potatoes, chili....anything. :LOL: I try to use it all, but once in a while some goes to waste.

I do the same, especially with scrambled eggs. Cooking for one, when I buy a bunch or bag of spinach I try to add it to everything. Especially my morning scrambled eggs. I chop it up and add it to tuna, egg salad sandwiches, green salads, use it in place of lettuce in cheese or meat sandwiches, rice, potatoes, chili....anything. :LOL: I try to use it all, but once in a while some goes to waste.

Same here. When I buy spinach, I enjoy adding it to just about everything. But the bags, especially, are huge and I can't always use it all, unless I dump the entire bag into a pan and steam it. It's amazing how little cooked spinach you end up with when you cook a whole bag or a bunch. You can have a huge pile of raw spinach and within 5 minutes it's reduced to one serving :LOL:

That's why I like to space it out and use it in several different things. But once I see a couple of the leaves dark green and slimy, the rest of the bunch goes into the trash.

Linda, you're so right that it's tough to get a restaurant salad without these icky "teeth sticking" field greens. ...
attachment.php

Oh my gawd, that looks disgusting....
And yet to some of us, that is a lovely, delicious work of food art. :yum: So, Kay and Linda (any anyone else), just maybe you can pull back on your vehement protestations and just say you don't like something? Please, pretty please?? And I won't tell you that your (whatever food you like that I don't) is vile and should not be served to man or beast. ;)

Otherwise, GG and I might be tempted to post nightly photos of field green salads. BwaHaHa!

And yet to some of us, that is a lovely, delicious work of food art. :yum: So, Kay and Linda (any anyone else), just maybe you can pull back on your vehement protestations and just say you don't like something? Please, pretty please?? And I won't tell you that your (whatever food you like that I don't) is vile and should not be served to man or beast. ;)

Otherwise, GG and I might be tempted to post nightly photos of field green salads. BwaHaHa!

Aww, I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to offend you :(

And you're right, my words were a little harsh. Actually, the salad itself looks very pretty. But just knowing what it's made of turns me off, as I've had a couple of bad experiences with such greens, in an attempt to like them, and it just didn't work out.

I promise not to be so rude :)

I actually like wild greens in a salad. I don't mind at all that others find it disgusting.

CD

PS - and I super duper apologize if that salad was one of your own. I get it, it's like someone telling you that your kid is ugly. That would hurt. And I'm sorry for being a jerk :)

Aww, I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to offend you :(

And you're right, my words were a little harsh. Actually, the salad itself looks very pretty. But just knowing what it's made of turns me off, as I've had a couple of bad experiences with such greens, in an attempt to like them, and it just didn't work out.

I promise not to be so rude :)

You weren't rude. Just expressing an opinion in an honest way. I don't think CG was really offended. She's from Cleveland, so she's heard a whole lot worse. :D

CD

Back
Top Bottom