Quinoa - WE ARE NOT IMPRESSED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The rinsing is important - reduces bitterness some... That said, red quinoa is both tastier and less bitter than the white stuff. I cook it in vegetable broth.

When quinoa first came on the market it was dirt cheap. I bought some, didn't really care for it but thought it was healthy and I would find a way to make it better.

Time passed and I just never got around to it. Quinoa then suddenly became "the thing" to have so I went to Bulk Barn, bought a ton of each colour and had a heart attack at the check out. Price had gone up by almost 100%. Haven't bought it since.

anybody else remember the price differences? or where they already 'up' by the time you got into it.

I got a lot of red quinoa and black quinoa when it was cheaper, and vacuum sealed it in 3 cup packs, and it has kept well for many years. The black and red quinoas don't seem to have that soapy coating, that needs rinsed off, like the white did. I have noticed the price has gone up considerably, like many things have. I just add it to soups, dals, curries, and things like that, to add some nutrients - not as the main ingredient in a dish. It's almost as if it's not there. I have tried toasting it, but it didn't give it much extra flavor, like it does with some things.

I watch food prices pretty closely, and basically, over the last few years, some of what I used to buy has gone up a couple of hundred percent. Which is why I no longer buy certain things. I hadn't bought quinoa in a while, and it went up about 50% from 3-4 years ago. Not even as shocking as the price of zucchini...I pad $2.79 for ONE zucchini 2 years ago, and that's what gave me a heart attack. And it was the height of the season when most people are trying to give it away. I just didn't happen to know anyone.

I watch food prices pretty closely, and basically, over the last few years, some of what I used to buy has gone up a couple of hundred percent. Which is why I no longer buy certain things. I hadn't bought quinoa in a while, and it went up about 50% from 3-4 years ago. Not even as shocking as the price of zucchini...I pad $2.79 for ONE zucchini 2 years ago, and that's what gave me a heart attack. And it was the height of the season when most people are trying to give it away. I just didn't happen to know anyone.

Prices on everything gone up tremendously. I'm afraid to go to store nowadays. :(

Back
Top Bottom