Secret ingredient for Alfredo sauce!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The little bit of starch in the pasta water hardly equates making a roux with equal parts of flour and fat.

where is lucas when you need him? we have an historically-minded italian chef in this forum who could add a definitive stamp to the traditionalist views expressed here....:)

wait, did i just jump ship?.... :)

Last edited:
So you're saying it's chemically impossible for the starch in the pasta water to combine with the fat in the butter present in the sauce.

No, I'm not saying that at all.

What I'm saying, and what I said is, "The little bit of starch in the pasta water hardly equates making a roux with equal parts of flour and fat."

The splash of pasta water added to the cheese and butter helps to homogenize the components of the sauce and give it a creamy texture.

No, the thought of it makes my stomach turn.
Because of the chocolate? There are many different moles and most do not have it. But those that do, the chocolate used tastes nothing like chocolate you would eat on its own. If someone put a piece in your mouth and asked you what it was you would have no idea.

Because of the chocolate? There are many different moles and most do not have it. But those that do, the chocolate used tastes nothing like chocolate you would eat on its own. If someone put a piece in your mouth and asked you what it was you would have no idea.

perhaps best suited to the mole thread, but people fail to realize that there are hundreds of types if mole.

Guacamole, IS a mole.

But have you ever had mole sauce
No, the thought of it makes my stomach turn.
Well Patty I hate to be critical but you as either an amateur or professional chef should be willing to taste new tastes, even if you don't like the idea of them. How else will you know all there is and all there could be?

This idea is pivotal to my concept of what is to be a chef, either as a professional chef or as an amateur chef as I am. You have to be willing to try anything, maybe even everything...

Maybe you should even try adding nutmeg to your Alfredo sauce! ;)

Last edited:
Eliminate the argument, just say "Alfredo style" Roy Clark always said, you can do something similar, but never exactly the same.

1914 Rome: Fettuccini Alfredo

Firstly, the original recipe for Fettuccini Alfredo which dates back to 1914, Rome, a very commercial dish for tourists; consists of:

heavy cream
butter
egg yolks
milk
Aged and Freshly Grated Reggiano Parmesano cheese ( 2 types )
salt and pepper

There are many variations as there are families and chefs who have changed or added or subtracted an ingredient here or there.

Some chefs employ a pinch of nutmeg, some fresh egg fettuccini verses dry pasta ribbons, some people use low fat milk or fat free and cream cheese ... and some use other types of cheeses. This is not Fetticcini Alfredo ... These pastas should be named after their creators.

A pinch of nutmeg shall give it a distinct flavor.

I prefer the original and freshly ground black pepper corns and a mixture of Pecorino aged Fiore Sardo and the fresh Reggiano Parmesano and a touch of Gran Padano grated cheese ( also an Italian cheese variety, similar to Parmesano however, spicier. )

Thanks for Interesting Post.
Margi.

Firstly, the original recipe for Fettuccini Alfredo which dates back to 1914, Rome, a very commercial dish for tourists; consists of:

heavy cream
butter
egg yolks
milk
Aged and Freshly Grated Reggiano Parmesano cheese ( 2 types )
salt and pepper...

I have not seen any source for the original Alfredo recipe that includes egg, cream and milk. Everywhere I turn, the original recipe is offered as butter, parmigiano reggiano and pasta.

We would all like to think we have the original recipe for . . . You fill in the blank. :ermm:

We would all like to think we are the only right one when it comes to . . . You fill in the blank. :ermm:

'Nuf said?

This has been a very entertaining and contentious thread. Imagine that. :LOL:

Andy's correct. The original Alfredo recipe, according to Saveur magazine:
The Real Alfredo - Saveur.com

But the beauty of home cooking is that you can make dishes the way YOU like them.

excellent article, thank you, steve, for finding and sharing it! i have emailed out several copies of it to family and friends....:)

Back
Top Bottom