What is Couscous?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
The title says it all. What is couscous? I see it near the rice and I hear about it but I don't know what it is. Is it like orzo pasta? Is it like rice? It's all near the same place in the store. Can someone explain what it is? Is it worth the money to buy?

Couscous is spherical granules made by rolling and shaping moistened semolina wheat and then coating them with finely ground wheat flour. Here is a good explanation at Wikipedia which explains what it is and how it is made: Couscous

Last edited:
Thank you but that went over my head like an F-16 going Mach 5. I think that's actually close to what the box said and where the confusion came in. Layman's terms???

Thank you but that went over my head like an F-16 going Mach 5. I think that's actually close to what the box said and where the confusion came in. Layman's terms???

In layman's terms, couscous is little pasta balls. Small tiny ones about the size of tiny tapioca. Couscous is a great side for many dishes. I always have a canister of it in my pantry.

Callisto, go to your local Wal-Mart and look in the pasta section, near the wild rice (Uncle Ben's) and you will see several small boxes. One of them will be labeled "couscous." Go from there. But, instead of using water to cook it, use chicken broth. It will be better.

Last edited:
In layman's terms, couscous is little pasta balls. Small iny ones about the size of tiny tapioca. Couscous is a great side for many dishes. I always have a canister of it in my pantry.

Callisto, go to your local Wal-Mart and look in the pasta section, near the wild rice (Uncle Ben's) and you will see several small boxes. One of them will be labeled "couscous." Go from there. But, instead of using water to cook it, use chicken broth. It will be better.
I was at Walmart today and they had boxes of "garlic herb couscous" next to the pasta and a canister of couscous for $7 and at Lowes they had the same canister for $10. I looked for a plain box, but I couldn't find one on my trip to "the other side" of town at either of the stores I stopped at. I guess I could buy the boxed garlic flavor just to see what it is.

Basically a few years back I had this pasta that looked smaller than orzo and I am wondering if couscous is what we ate that night.

I love couscous, because it is so easy to make. I am sure you are going to love it as well. I like to grill some vegetables and add them to the cooked couscous.

I buy the plain Near East couscous and especially love it in the summer when I can nuke some chicken broth/stock and just pour it on the couscous. I do not have central a/c and I can fix this starch hot or put it in the fridge and turn it into a salad. It is NOT rice, and is generally much smaller in size than orzo. It is a real summertime staple for us, we toss it with tomatoes, herbs, raisins, nuts, whatever and eat it cold or warm. It is also a great thing to fix if you have vegetarian friends. You can grill meat and veggies, then use the couscous as a side dish, but with nuts and dried fruit in it (obviously you just use water, not stock) and lots of herbs, your vegetarian friends can make a meal of it.

Thanks Claire ~ I'm thinking I had couscous in a restaurant about 13 years ago from your description. I love your description by the way. I'll definitely splurge and pick up a container next time I venture to Walmart.

Just curious, how would grilled shrimp and veggies be tossed in couscous?

Just curious, how would grilled shrimp and veggies be tossed in couscous?

Anything that would be good tossed with pasta would be good with couscous. I also like Israeli couscous - it's a much larger ball. Curry chicken and vegetable is my favorite. :chef:

It also makes great cold summer salads. Think basil, cucumber, tomatoes and a bit of fresh pesto...a bit of olive oil to moisten.

While I use it regularly, I find couscous to be very bland, so be liberal with the seasonings :) I often use strong flavors like citrus zest, vinegar, lots of garlic, fresh herbs, etc.

The tiny couscous is Moroccan. It's great because it cooks in five minutes - bring stock to a boil, pour in couscous, wait five minutes, and it's done. You can add flavorings and additions to the stock, or stir them in after.

The Israeli couscous takes longer to cook, like pasta - 8-10 minutes.

So I'm guessing, correct me if I'm wrong, that stock/broth is better to cook it in than plain water. I'm debating a trip to Walmart tomorrow to get some and want to get broth/stock (what is the difference there?) to make it up with if that's what makes it taste the best.

The difference between stock and broth is very simple. Stock is made using the bones, while broth is made using the meat. In the stores you are going to find mostly broth. They are just starting to make stock, but I see a lot more broth. I know swansons sells a stock product. If you want to make your own homemade stock it is not that hard, and homemade stock is so much better than store bought. I do not make much homemade stock, but that is only because I do not eat or cook much chicken so I do not have enough bones to make stock. They do sell vegetable stock, so if a vegiterian is coming over you can still add lots of flavor to the couscous.

If you want to know a basic stock recipe I can give you one.

The difference between stock and broth is very simple. Stock is made using the bones, while broth is made using the meat. In the stores you are going to find mostly broth. They are just starting to make stock, but I see a lot more broth. I know swansons sells a stock product. If you want to make your own homemade stock it is not that hard, and homemade stock is so much better than store bought. I do not make much homemade stock, but that is only because I do not eat or cook much chicken so I do not have enough bones to make stock. They do sell vegetable stock, so if a vegiterian is coming over you can still add lots of flavor to the couscous.

If you want to know a basic stock recipe I can give you one.
Thank you. I never understood the difference and this is a lovely explanation.

I love couscous and especially appreciate that you can make it FAST!

You can most likely buy couscous in the bulk section of your local health food store for 1/4 the price of the packaged stuff. To cook: use 1 part boiling liquid to 1 part couscous. Set aside (covered) and and eat in 5 mins.

I like to serve this underneath chili, sauteed veggies and my families favorite, left over pulled chicken w/gravy.

I live in a small town, and can buy Israeli couscous (which needs to be boiled) or Near East. Both the Near East couscous and taboule are real summer staples for us. I did buy couscous in bulk once when I ived in a larger community and ... weevils! If you have to throw it away it is a false economy. I probably shouldn't have been scared off but once was enough.

If I was to serve it with grilled shrimp and vegetables, I'd probably cook -- well, really soak is a better word -- the couscous in chicken stock, thyme, parsley, then sort of make a "bowl" of the couscous, add the veggies and top with the shrimp. Oh, yes, a dab of olive oil in the couscous.

One way to tell stock from broth from a simple point of view is that real stock (that is made with animal bones) will gel in the fridge, where broth (made from vegetables and/or the meat, but not the bones) will remain liquid. To make a great vegetable broth, roast in the oven or grill on the barbecue the vegetables brushed with olive oil and seasoned, then boil and strain. I agree that home-made is better, but we all need short-cuts some times.

I know I love short-cuts. At school there is no short-cuts, but at home I do not make my own mayo or stocks, and I do not do lots of other things.

Easy Couscous Recipe

Couscous with Apricots and Pine Nuts
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
1/2 cup chopped apricots
1 cup couscous​
1/4 cup pine nuts (toasted)

Put broth and apricots in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add couscous and bring to boil again. Cover, remove from heat. Let stand five minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork, add in pine nuts.​

Couscous is very versatile, there are 100's of variations you can make.
Olive oil and herb Couscous, Couscous with cranberry and almonds, Couscous with vegetables...​

Back
Top Bottom