Any Juneteenth Recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RCJoe

Senior Cook
Anyone here have any Juneteenth recipes to offer ? What would be on your table Saturday ?

I've not thought of it but, now that it is a holiday, I would love to hear ideas.

I've got a few Senegalese dishes I could make. Perhaps some Peri-peri chicken? I would love to consider what might become "traditional" food for the day.

Well, there will be a whole year to post favorite Juneteenth recipes now in order to prepare for the next one. It was only announced as a Federal
holiday a few days prior to the event and I would imagine those cooking for it were either gathering supplies or processing the early stages of some of the food items.

I saw this review of 5 basic recipes. What stuck in my mind was "Jackfruit" in one of them. I had never heard of it.

https://www.consumerreports.org/coo...ck-chefs-to-celebrate-juneteenth-a5417718882/

Jackfruit is a tropocal fruit from southern India, and SE Asia, but it has spread to other tropical areas throughout the world. It is grown in Africa, as well as many Caribbean areas, which is probably the reason it is in one of these recipes.

I wish I had thought to make this. These two dishes (plus the plantains) were mentioned several times in a book about an African family my off-line book club read a couple of years ago. I bought an order of each to take to the meeting and DH and I made it a few weeks later. It's really tasty.

You can adjust the spices to your desired heat level.

https://www.thedreamafrica.com/grilled-fish-with-fried-plantains-recipe/

https://www.thedreamafrica.com/foods-in-nigeria-jollof-rice-history-and-recipe/best-grilled-fish-and-dodo-768x781.jpgwest-african-jollof-rice-768x1086.jpg

Last edited:
That looks delicious, GG! The ingredients in that pepper sauce make it sound fantastic - I copied it, and may try it with some other things, too.

The 2 scotch bonnet peppers in that made me remember that I made a Haitian dish yesterday, to take to a friend's house - based on a Haitian slaw from Milk Street, with 2 scotch bonnets in a small amount (2 c) of cabbage! I changed it, for more cabbage and carrots, and rice vinegar, to give that better flavor, and I used chocolate habaneros aji dulce peppers - better flavor, plus the aji dulce has almost no heat, with that incredible habanero flavor. It is still very hot!

Haitian Coleslaw

1 c white rice vinegar
1/4 c lime juice
1/4 c sugar
2 medium or 1 large clove garlic
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
4 scotch bonnets, or 2 habaneros + 2 aji dulce
1/8 tsp xanthan gum (option)
1 large or 2 medium shallots, halved and sliced thinly
2 large carrots, shredded
6 c cabbage, shredded

Combine the vinegar, sugar, garlic, thyme, salt, and peppers in a blender, and blend on high until almost totally smooth. Slowly add the xantham gum while blending, and let it blend another 30 seconds (this will help the dressing cling to the veggies better). Pour it in a large bowl on the shallots, with the lime juice, and let sit, while preparing the carrots and cabbage (this will take the raw edge off the shallots). Mix together, cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours, before serving.

Last edited:
That does look delicious!

I was thinking of Moroccan food too. DC had a restaurant that has long since gone that had amazing food. I'd love to recreate one of their dishes. It was called chicken bastilla for which I have seen a few recipes. Also, they had an amazing veggie couscous......I may start planning now!

I'll throw in this old vintage Vanilla Ice Cream Mix recipe that dates back to the later 1800's. It is quite good and I make it from time to time at cook outs.

You will need a pack of Junket Tablets

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...8dhrUFkbvkoJUp5N_2_ZltiaYPX5jCWSP3-I&usqp=CAc

You will need:

6 large eggs

2 1/2 C Sugar

1 pint half and half

4 C 3% milk

3 to 4 tsp real Vanilla extract

6 Junket Tablets

First beat eggs in a bowl until light and fluffy for a couple minutes

Add sugar and beat for about the same time

Next, add half & half and milk to the egg mixture and beat a couple of minutes until all is well blended.

Set up a double boiler and heat the egg, sugar, milk mixture until warm to the touch. Do not boil it.

In another bowl break up the 6 Junket tablets and add a couple of table spoons of hot but not boiling water to dissolve them. When dissolved add the Vanilla extract. (if you really want to get fancy use about a half of a Vanilla bean. Mix well. Then add to the egg, sugar, milk mixture and mix well.

Pour this mixture while warm, into the ice cream churn. Set up and get ready to add ice and rock salt.

The ideal mix ratio of salt to ice is said to be 6 parts ice to 1 part of rock salt. This will use some ice and salt rather quickly as the mix is warm, but because the mix is warm it will begin to freeze more quickly.

You can experiment with this and use condensed milk in place of half and half or use other flavor extracts if you like.

I always eat some of it when I pull the dasher out of the churn tank and hard freeze the rest in the freezer for late.

The comments I get from those who eat this is that they weren't expecting much as it was just "plain vanilla". (like from the grocery store) But they claim they are surprised that vanilla ice cream could be so good just by itself without anything else added to it.

Mentioned to me to add this.

If you use the Vanilla bean to flavor the Junket mixture, pour it thru a strainer before adding the flavored Junket mixture to the egg, sugar, half & half, milk, mixture.

OK. But good quality real Vanilla extract will make a fine ice cream.

Back
Top Bottom