Escaramuza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
Any of you made this before? I recently watched an episode of “Pati’s Mexican Table” where she made this and it looked AMAZING!

For those that have made it, is the lamb really necessary or can I just use all pork?

Is it wrapped up to be untied upon serving? I used to have something similar in the small Mexican town I lived in in my 20's. They called it Barbacoa but every time I've looked for Barbacoa recipes they are not the same as what I used to have.

Which episode did you hear the recipe in. I looked it up Escaramuza is a celibration of female horsemen oops, horse women. Patti's Mexican Kitchen has lots of episodes with different Mexican foods.

S10 E5

LOL! but now that I watch it with the CC on, it appears this dish is called “birria”.

Turns out it is all lamb as well. When I heard shoulder I assumed pork shoulder.

Never mind.

Last edited:
I have made this with lamb, and also with goat meat - the original meat called for in the recipe I used, saying to use lamb, if goat meat wasn't available. I used lamb, the first time, but one time, in the Italian Market, I saw a deal on some goat meat, and got some, for various things, but this was the first one I made with it. My friend and I liked it, but both of us liked the lamb better. It's been many years since I made it...I wish lamb was not so expensive.

The peppers in the one I made were guajillos and ancho, some cloves and allspice, a LOT of garlic, thyme, Mexican oregano, onion, and some cider vinegar, blended with just enough water to circulate. The original recipe called for a whole goat! :LOL: Or an 8 lb boneless lamb shoulder.

Last edited:
I finally looked it up. It sounds exactly like what I had in the joint in Mexico. I will put this on my list, for sure. I'm afraid I'll have to make it with chuck roast but I'm sure it will be excellent nonetheless. Thanks so much for pointing me to a recipe that I've been wanting to make for years.

My search of birria resulted in this from Wiki

"Birria is a Mexican dish from the state of Jalisco. The Spanish term "birria" is used to describe immaterial things without value or quality. It is a traditional ancestral soup or stew made from a combination of chili pepper-based goat meat adobo, garlic, cumin, bay leaves, and thyme, and cooked at a low heat. Wikipedia
Main ingredients: Meat (typically goat), dried chili peppers
"

My search of birria resulted in this from Wiki

"Birria is a Mexican dish from the state of Jalisco. The Spanish term "birria" is used to describe immaterial things without value or quality. It is a traditional ancestral soup or stew made from a combination of chili pepper-based goat meat adobo, garlic, cumin, bay leaves, and thyme, and cooked at a low heat. Wikipedia
Main ingredients: Meat (typically goat), dried chili peppers
"

I have found one of the very few Mexican restaurants, in my area, which features birria tacos. I will ask what meat they use, next visit.

Whatever the ingredients, the tacos are magnificent there.

I have bookmarked a couple recipes to try at home.

Ross

I´ve never eaten it, I must admit - it´s more a northern Mexican dish than from Mexico City.
There´s an Englishwoman called Diane Kennedy, who wrote a book called " The Cuisines of Mexico" way back in 1972. She´s a curmudegeonly old soul, apparently, and fiercely jealous of authentic Mexican dishes.She travelled the length and breadth of Mexico to collect her recipes. Her book is still considered one of the best books on Mexican cooking ever. And she´s still there - a sprightly 98, living in Michoacán.
This recipe is hers, so I imagine it must be very good:
https://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Birria

I´ve never eaten it, I must admit - it´s more a northern Mexican dish than from Mexico City.
There´s an Englishwoman called Diane Kennedy, who wrote a book called " The Cuisines of Mexico" way back in 1972. She´s a curmudegeonly old soul, apparently, and fiercely jealous of authentic Mexican dishes.She travelled the length and breadth of Mexico to collect her recipes. Her book is still considered one of the best books on Mexican cooking ever. And she´s still there - a sprightly 98, living in Michoacán.
This recipe is hers, so I imagine it must be very good:
https://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Birria

WOW!! Were I younger, I'd be all over this recipe.
I can't even imagine how good this must taste.

Ross

Escaramuza in Mexico is a "skirmish" - and is usually applied to a horsey event, where two teams of young ladies ride their horses in a synchronised fashion. Comes from the Italian word "scaramuzza - which also means a fight.
"Birria", on the other hand, basically means a mess, or something without value. So I can only guess it was originally a dish just slapped together with what was available.
Wish I could slap things together like that!

Back
Top Bottom