Ethnic mash ups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
For lunch today, i decided to eat leftovers. in the fridge were slices of the white lasagna I made last night, and left over chicken Cordon Bleu my DIL made the night before. I took the chicken, opened it u, and put left over marinara sauce in it, a kind of chicken Catcciatore Bleau. It was yummy. I also pored marinara over my white lasagna. It elevated an already very good lasagna.

What are your best mash ups?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
One of my all time favorites is something I call German/Mexican fusion, which is wieners and beans.

osnovni-recept-za-grah-varivo-salatu-na-tavce-i-s-kobasicama-504x335-20130309-20130304133248-15d401f9532edf349219dbabcb3f8c22.jpg

But you can't just slap a couple of hot dogs on the plate and add a spoonful of beans. You need to place the beans and wieners in an oven safe dish together and heat them in the oven until the bean sauce boils to cook the wieners.

Last edited:
I´m just about to take a vacation, so I´m trying to empty the fridge.
Mashed potatoes, a bit of bacon, fried up, some broccoli stems ( and a few florets), some sweet potatoes from last week´s gado-gado salad, caramelised onions ( it was a tiny onion), a bit of parmesan, a bit of gruyere, all smashed up with the last 2 tbsps cream, a bit of milk... and topped with the last 3 cherry tomatoes and a lonely boconccini!

One time, when I was having a craving for some jambalaya, and I had some shrimp to use up, I got some polish sausage out of the freezer, and quartered it lengthwise, and cut into 1/2" pieces, and used that in place of the ham, and the smoked sausage was delicious in it. I usually had chunks of ham from holiday dinners - I was always given these, and the bones, and was expected to cook some things with them, and invite the family over, which I never minded.

Although not an ethnic mash up, but a mash up none the less, My wife went down to Florida to visit her mother, so it was just me and the kids. I'm the primary cook in the family, but many times the kids just like simple stuff ( like Mac & cheese, baked ziti ...) which my wife took care of ( on most occasions). Anyway, she was gone and the kids craved baked ziti. I looked in the fridge, and saw we had multiple opened boxes of pasta pushed to the back of he fridge. All shapes and sizes ( Ziti, linguini, elbows....). > I decided to make baked " ziti" using all the left over pasta we had. Didnt really think much of it, until while we were eating , my son was like " is there spaghetti in here??", then my daughter followed up with " Is this an elbow ...". I said, its " Baked Ziti Surprise". I thought it was funny. They weren't amused. I think it kinda freaked them out a bit, but at least I got to use up stuff that would likely have gone to waste.

I had some frozen Basa fish fillets that I needed to use up. And not a lot of inspiration. So I fried up some onions and garlic, threw in a tin of white kidney beans and a tin of chopped tomatoes. On top of that, I added the remains of a small jar of Rose Harissa paste and a stock cube and boiling water. I left that to simmer. Meanwhile I partially boiled some Mezzi Rigatoni pasta and threw that into the mix. Finally I cut the defrosted Basa into chunks. 15 mins before serving, I threw the fish chunks in. Then, and this is the bit that will upset some, I grated some cheddar cheese over the top. Not sure what to call it, but basically it was a fish pasta stew. And it was very tasty.

I love Basa - it is very inexpensive, but freezes way better than cod and loves a highly flavoured sauce.

Katy, why would grating cheese on top upset some?

Cheese can go on everything! Fish, shellfish, beef, chicken, pork...

Maybe not ice-cream but we'll just wait and see who chimes in with that one.

Not on ice cream? Have you never had strawberry cheesecake ice cream? Yum:yum:.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Volcán de xocolatl, helado gorgonzola, coulis de moras.jpg
Here I am, chiming:LOL::LOL:
Had this in a restaurant in San Miguel de Allende: it was described as " Molten chocolate volcano; Gorgonzola ice cream and blackberry coulis"
It was absolutely glorious

Back
Top Bottom