ISO easier way to make chili paste?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baking fool

Senior Cook
I wonder if anyone has a way to make chili paste which is easier or faster than pounding it with a mortar & pestle (the traditional way of course). My first though was to repeatedly run it through a series of giant concrete rollers. That seems a bit impractical so I might have to settle for putting it in a food processor before going out to mow the lawn (or shopping, or out for a walk, etc). Does anyone have any better ideas?

edit: Actually I just thought of a meat grinder also. Would that work? What does everyone think?

Last edited:
I would suggest a coffee grinder, but you could only do a small amount. Guess it depends on how much you wanna make. I prefer the traditional method because it releases the oils better than just cutting the chiles up in a grinder.

I wonder if anyone has a way to make chili paste which is easier or faster than pounding it with a mortar & pestle (the traditional way of course). My first though was to repeatedly run it through a series of giant concrete rollers. That seems a bit impractical so I might have to settle for putting it in a food processor before going out to mow the lawn (or shopping, or out for a walk, etc). Does anyone have any better ideas?

edit: Actually I just thought of a meat grinder also. Would that work? What does everyone think?
It shouldn't take that long. Food processor, blender, meat grinder would all work fine.

taxlady said:
When/how would one use chili paste?

It can be used in lots of ways. Anything you want to add a little spice to. I like it in anything from eggs to marinades, soups, roasts, etc.

SW and Mexican sauces, but mostly as an ingredient in Thai curry pastes.

I use the food processor, but with fresh chillies, not dried. My favorite is my take on green chile paste; Green chillies of some sort (hot), cilantro, basil (I like it when I grow lime basil best, but really any kind will,l do OK if Asian varities aren't available), some lime juice and grated peel. For the oil, for me peanut, and also some peanuts. If you're cooking for a peanut alergy, almonds and canola oil. Run in the food processor until the texture you like. This freezes beautifully and even keeps its color. A spoonful or two in some coconut milk, and you have a great Thai-style curry. My favorite is to cook your favorite veggies in chicken stock (carrots, squash, etc). Add a can of coconut milk then some slivered chicken breast. Lightly poach the breast meat until barely done. Add the curry paste (it can actually go in at an stage) and garnish with some fresh herbs and green onions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom