Need help quick: hard boiled eggs for Deviled Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I've been doing them this way ever since I started a thread about Kenji's style back, oh, two and a half years ago.

The Last Word on Hard-Cooked Eggs?

I did have a run of cracked eggs for a while, but the problem wasn't the method. It seems that there was a stretch of time where the shells had weak spots in them. Now I check the shells for what looks like thin spots before I choose them to boil. Instead, I set those aside for scrambled or to use in baking now.

I was going to experiment with the eggs and open them every other day. Half peeled right away and the other half with their shells.

Well I will try again just after I recuperate from eating all these eggs that I accidentally simmered for who know HOW long. :mad:

the timer on the stove has bamboozled me more than once :rolleyes: - I had set it for HOURS instead of MINUTES! :wacko:

the whites are still tender so it couldn't have been that long - but the ring is there.

When I do eggs on the stove top I boil the water first, put the eggs in and set the timer for 12 minutes.

Kathleen has taken to using the Instapot and it works a treat. Not sure her exact timing.

I buy peeled HB eggs packed in plastic nitrogen filled bags that have a shelf life of 3 months. Are they fresh until then? Yes. As iong as you don't open the nitrogen filled bag. :LOL: :cool:

Last edited:
I honestly can't imagine buying hard boiled eggs other than at a deli, when you are buying a sandwich and/or other things for lunch that you will be taking back to your desk to eat or in the car for a trip.

I saw them on the shelf, in a big box store (can't remember which) for the first time only a couple of months ago. I didn't pick them up to examine so have no idea if they are shelled or how the packaging is. I believe they were only packaged in 4's?
I also don't know the price to compare but remember thinking 4 cooked eggs for the price of 12? or somewhere in that vicinity.

who would pay that? I don't get it. but obviously from what some of you say there is a market for them.

I'll never say never but really do have a hard time imagining I would purchase some to have at home 'cause I might want to make egg salad sandwiches later that week! :huh:

I buy peeled HB eggs packed in plastic nitrogen filled bags that have a shelf life of 3 months. Are they fresh until then? Yes. As iong as you don't open the nitrogen filled bag. :LOL: :cool:

I've seen those pressurized containers of eggs in the store. I haven't bought them yet, but it's fun to pick up the container and jiggle them about. It curiously pleasurable akin to popping bubblewrap. :mrgreen:

I've bought them, but only when I am away from home and need sustenance that aligns with my diet. No more donuts and chips for me. The same place I get the eggs also sells a cheese and hard salami sandwich. Two co-jack slices with a slice of hard salami, nothing else. Yummy!

Had to revisit this thread after using Kenji's method a couple of times with different cartons just to verify results. Amazing difference! Not one bad peeler out of 2 dozen eggs so far. That is a positive result as far as I'm concerned. I increased the cooking time by 2 minutes because we live at 4200 feet and boiling water is only about 204° here.

From fridge to boiling water (13 minutes) to ice water (15 minutes) and back to fridge. 24 perfect eggs and counting. :chef:

Edit: I even had a couple of them in the first patch crack, but it wasn't a serious problem. The eggs still peeled well and just didn't look quite as pretty. That would only matter if I was making deviled eggs. I usually boil them to have them on hand for a quick breakfast or lunch.

Last edited:
Medical Advice

Good Morning everyone. I love to keep hard boiled eggs on hand for a quick snack. I keep six at a time in the fridge, open the door and there they are, jut waiting for me to grab one.

Back
Top Bottom