French Bread??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've often been trying links to NYT recipes. Unfortunately, they want a subscription once your free trial is over.

too bad - so sad as I've heard about many good recipes from there.

Last edited:
no, no, your link worked just fine! It is that they won't let me in without subscribing. which I do not want to do.

Thanks for the Food & Wine link. I've actually made that but as I couldn't open/read the one from the NYT, I didn't realize they were the same style.

I have several others like that - Love that Bread!

This recipe also wasn't clear on the amount of flour that is to be used. Basically 4 cups to start and eyeball it after that? I think I settled at approximately 6 cups but prefer a definite number.
That's the nature of baking bread. Variables like humidity change the amount of flour needed from batch to batch. You'll learn over time how to know when you've added enough flour.

As far as salt. How much is too much? A friend tells me it kills the yeast.
It doesn't kill the yeast. Use the amount in the recipe. And as jennyemma said, use a reliable recipe. The NYT no-knead bread is easy and delicious.

First recipe requires an account. Second recipe, does it require a mixer or does quarter turn kneeding work?
You can knead the dough. This is one of the instructions: "To make the dough: Mix and knead everything together — by hand, mixer or bread machine set on the dough cycle — to make a soft, somewhat smooth dough; it should be cohesive, but the surface may still be a bit rough."

Anyone have a video for this type of process? I wasn't able to imagine it.

"Method 2: Slow/Slap Bench: Begin to knead your dough, but this technique will be somewhat different than your typical quarter turn kneading. With this, the dough is flattened out slightly, then roughly fold dough into a single book fold ((Fold onto the second third and last third onto the second third)), held at one end (dough shape will be oblong) and slapped down on the work surface. Refolded and repeated about 850 times. YES 850! lol Once this is accomplished, dough is rounded into a ball and placed within the bowl to rise. 90-120 minutes, covered with plastic. (while this sounds outlandish, this is the traditional method and the texture is UN-BE-Leavable.) I also find that this method is less tiresome than normal kneading."

Don't know if this is the type of video you want but I found it very enlightening! Wacka- slam- wacka- slam

french baguette

I don't see the link. When I hit quote, I can see it. The syntax is wrong for this forum. I'll try posting the link so it shows the video here on DC.

If you want a YouTube video to show here on DC, just copy the URL from the address bar of the page the video is on and paste it here. Don't get the URL from the share button on YouTube. You don't need to use the link icon on the reply or quote page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m08i8oXpFB0

The look of the page is strange for some reason.

7A0B2FD3-476E-4DA5-B882-453C85F57330.jpg

C3BF72A2-689A-4020-AC92-84F1EC5F0FED.jpg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2H0msYMpMJ8

Maybe this is it. I can't imagine doing even this 850 times. Lol.
Lol, that's what a stand mixer is for [emoji1787]

My late MIL's recipe for springerle Christmas cookies calls for beating the batter for 30 minutes, and it's a very stiff batter. I never made it before DH bought me a stand mixer for Christmas one year.

I remember an old Julia Child show in which she did that slap and fold method, for making bread dough. Not sure if it was a French Chef show, or a later, color show. Maybe she did it more than once! She was more violent slapping it, but you could tell not as much flour was added using that method, resulting in a much looser, more hydrated dough, with a more open crumb.

Okay, so I'm weird. That was something around 360 slaps and folds. Yes, I counted, but I'm sure I'm off a bit. So, I don't think 850 is that hard to imagine. In some ways, it looks easier than regular pushing the dough.

OK, I'm not doing that. Can you say "Kitchen Aid"?

Also, I'm amazed how much time he spent at the beginning of the video scraping off every last spec of dough from the bucket and scraper. Even I am not that bad.

Back
Top Bottom