Does anyone use a garbage disposal anymore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive tried to compost 3 times in the past 10 years and every time mice infested it so no more. It goes down the GD or into the trash.
Oh, I hadn't thought of that. I'll be living without electricity, so I wanted to compost everything, but being out in the boonies, I'll probably have mice all over. And if I don't have mice, I'll have coyotes.

I'm just grateful Western Washington doesn't have any venomous snakes. I had enough of the rattlesnakes in California.
Consider vermicomposting - composting with worms. One of my sister master gardeners did a talk on this topic last spring and it was fascinating. She keeps the bin in her kitchen. Because the worms work fast, there's no odor at all. These are wood, but plastic bins for this purpose are also available.

Here's more information: http://compost.css.cornell.edu/worms/basics.html
how-to-make-a-worm-bed-how-to-stacking-worm-box.jpg

Last edited:
I have no reason to want or need a "compost" garbage pile complete with various critters. Makes my skin crawl to think about it. :blink:
Composting is a great way to get beautiful soil full of nutrition for a home garden and flower pots. Mine is in the back corner of the yard. The ground is also full of various critters, so the compost pile isn't much different. It also keeps all the kitchen scraps and yard waste out of the landfill. 20180727_162727.jpg

Last edited:
I had a worm compost. Kept it in the garage. Their tea/juice is wonderful for the garden and houseplants too! I think someone freaked out on one of my moves and chucked it. By the time I was settled and realized it wasn't around... never did start another one.

Now I just toss things on top of the manure pile, but I want to separate and start a new one closer to my garden.

Consider vermicomposting - composting with worms. One of my sister master gardeners did a talk on this topic last spring and it was fascinating. She keeps the bin in her kitchen. Because the worms work fast, there's no odor at all. These are wood, but plastic bins for this purpose are also available.

Here's more information: Worm Composting Basics - Cornell Composting
View attachment 30790

That woman needs a GD and her head examined. Ohhhhhh :censored: Worms for kitchen garbage in the kitchen??:sick::yuk::wacko::ohmy:

Last edited:
Back in 1999 when I bought my condo, I was told GDs were not permitted. Shortly after moving in, I was reading over the rules and regulations and came across a single sentence that made my day. "Food waste disposers are permitted"! I literally stopped what I was doing and went out and bought and installed a GD that afternoon.
The one I had back in the '70s would wake the dead, never mind the neighbours!

I had to replace my GD a few years ago, and I went with the biggest, baddest unit I could find. I could probably grind up a tree with this thing.

I also have one of those floor mounted units, you may know him as psycho-poodle.

I tried composting for a short time. It was rodent heaven (pardon me, RR). I decided that the compost wasn't worth the rats.

CD

Consider vermicomposting - composting with worms.
Reminds me of my friend Gail. We knew each other in OH, but she and her hubby made the first job-transfer move to a small town south of Bloomington-Normal, IL. The first time I visited was late fall. When giving me the house tour, she took me down their basement to show me how her hubby had set up his home office. As we walked through the main part of the basement, she stopped to point out her large bin of very friable earth...and her happy red wrigglers that were enjoying their winter quarters. There was a fine mesh screen on top of the bin, just in case any of them wanted to jump for joy.

Fast forward to the following summer. After we had been visiting for a while, she asked me if I wanted to see their "wriggly room" in the basement. I thought she had expanded her composting, or at least maybe she was raising the worms to sell. Nope, my dear friend and her hubby, an avid Cubs fan, had painted and carpeted his office to make it look like the left outfield corner at Wrigley Field! :LOL: The worms, meanwhile, had been spending the summer in the garden compost bin.

...Worms for kitchen garbage in the kitchen??

You know, Kayelle, the idea may seem yucky to you, but it's probably a more sanitary condition than having a dog running around a kitchen, or a cat that just can NOT be trained to stay off of the counter (solution: get a cat that can't jump that high :LOL: ), or a myriad of other pets that are considered fine to wander through a home and our hearts. At least the worms are contained, not like cats or dogs...or bunnies...or ferrets...

We have two (kitchen and bar), and don't put anything down either, as we're on a septic system.

I've had a number of drain strainers in the kitchen sink, and Oxo makes the best.

Here's more information: http://compost.css.cornell.edu/worms/basics.html
View attachment 30790
A friend of mine does it. There is no odour. Once she got surprise tomatoes in an area where she had spread worm compost. Mostly, she uses it for her indoor plants.

Cooking Goddess;1557173 You know said:
Kayelle[/B], the idea may seem yucky to you, but it's probably a more sanitary condition than having a dog running around a kitchen, or a cat that just can NOT be trained to stay off of the counter (solution: get a cat that can't jump that high :LOL: ), or a myriad of other pets that are considered fine to wander through a home and our hearts. At least the worms are contained, not like cats or dogs...or bunnies...or ferrets...

Oh boy, that's a real stretch CG!!

Family pets in the kitchen is one thing...worms is another. :yuk:

I get wormy composting and appreciate the good they do, but having them in the kitchen and knowing they are there would be a turn off to my appetite. :ermm::LOL:

I get wormy composting and appreciate the good they do, but having them in the kitchen and knowing they are there would be a turn off to my appetite. :ermm::LOL:
I'm the same way with cats in the kitchen.. ;) :wacko: :ROFLMAO::LOL:
First thing I told Jeannie, our first night in our apartment, "No cats"..

My sweet daughter has two adorable cats but... NOT in the damn kitchen, please!!

Ross

CG, dogs generally don't get up on kitchen counters, and dogs can be trained. Cats do whatever the @#&%$ they want to do.

I am a messy cook, and proud of it -- RIP Julia Child. I love having a dog to clean up my spills on the floor. Every now and then, I have to yell, "DON'T EAT THAT!!!," when I drop something like a slice of jalepeño pepper, but he eats it, anyway. I then get to be entertained by him rubbing his face in the carpet and drinking a whole bowl of water. Hey, I told him not to eat it. :rolleyes::LOL:

CD

I never see garbage disposals. I think they are illegal in Quebec. Not just the water usage, but all that extra organic matter in the sewage costs extra to process and can cause algal blooms in the water ways.

I never see garbage disposals. I think they are illegal in Quebec. Not just the water usage, but all that extra organic matter in the sewage costs extra to process and can cause algal blooms in the water ways.

Around here, sewage has a lot of poop in it. I'm thinking that is the worst organic matter there is. Properly treated, the water is clean. In my town, waste water is used to water the parks and other public spaces.

Having grown up on the Gulf Coast, the thing that creates dead zones is fertilizers used by farmers on the Mississippi river watershed.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom