Hard of Hearing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
What age do you get hard of hearing? Everyone in the family tells me to go get hearing test. I think I hear okay except when I went to store yesterday I had to ask almost everyone to repeat what they said. Is there someway I can find out on my own without paying someone to do this? I just figure that God has His reasons for making me deaf like my one dog. Probably better not to hear everything than to hear it. As long as I can hear sirens on the street and when my timer goes off I am not too concerned. Just seems to happen all at once.

I don't know of a home test for hearing. The only way to know for sure is to have a test done. This can be done through your doctor's office. They will probably refer you to an audiologist. They can tell what frequencies you're missing. You may not need a hearing aid now. There is no specific age. It is greatly dependant on how well you treat your ears! If you worked in a loud environment or spent lots of time at rock concerts or with the volume up on your headphones can all increase the speed with which your hearing deteriorates. The most likely thing is that ambient background noise covers up what you want to hear.

If everyone in your family is telling you to get your hearing checked then chances are that you are not hearing OK. Bite the bullet and go to the doctor. You will be better off for having it checked, not to mention that it will make your family happy.

I had my hearing checked about twenty years ago. I was told that I was 86% tone deaf. That I can't hear most frequencies. I was also told there was nothing they could do about it, at that time anyway, because to amplify what I couldn't hear would only amplify everything else and make things worse.
My father on the other hand can wear a hearing aid. It is so much easier to talk to him..... when he has it turned on.

Go get the tests done.
If you have no problems, then you can HONESTLY tell everyone to stuff it.

If you ARE hard of hearing, you will be happy to hear again.

Swallow that pride.

In The Kitchen said:
Is there someway I can find out on my own without paying someone to do this?

I think you had your free hearing evaluation at the grocery store ITK. Go get a hearing test and make everyone, including yourself, happy!

Awww, ITK. There is nothing shameful about having a hearing loss and it isn't something that happens just to "old" people either. I know plenty of people younger than me with hearing loss. The truth is, you can't judge whether you are missing anything if you never heard it to begin with! Go and get it checked and if there is a problem, take care of it. Just think of all the nice things people may be saying to you that you've been missing!

FM is correct, I forgot to address this issue ITK. Hearing loss can happen to anyone at any time! It's nothing to be ashamed of. For your safety, get your hearing checked.

Well, I went to movies with family to see Ironman. I was only one who complained that it was too loud. I could hardly stand it being so loud. Wanted to reach for volume control and turn it down.

I will ask the doctor about having the test done. I do know he is hard of hearing himself so maybe would be hint for him to check it out. I always have sympathy for someone with some kind of physical trouble. My family just wants me to check it cause they are tired of repeating themselves. Too much work! Guess I did the same thing when I was their age. Thanks for being so kind to me and understanding. I know none of you would complain about my shortcomings. Hope no one hurts all your feelings. I will tell you if I am really deaf or not. Thanks again.

Not to sure of your gender, but if you are like my hubby he only hears fine when talking to other people. When talking with me he keeps asking me to repeat everything. I call that SELECTIVE HEARING. Just kidding. The females here will know just what I mean.

Not to sure of your gender, but if you are like my hubby he only hears fine when talking to other people. When talking with me he keeps asking me to repeat everything. I call that SELECTIVE HEARING. Just kidding. The females here will know just what I mean.
Oh girrrrrl do I ever! It is true that as we age, men lose a lot of the higher tones and the women the lower ones. So, we get to where we can't hear each other. Perfect... My husband is going through this and he will not believe it or get his hearing checked. He worked at United Airlines in the jet shop for 35 years. If all that happened to him from that was a hearing loss, I'd say he got away pretty lucky!

Well, I went to movies with family to see Ironman. I was only one who complained that it was too loud. I could hardly stand it being so loud. Wanted to reach for volume control and turn it down.

Kinda funny - my grandmother *would not* get a hearing aid, but she turned up the TV so loud, no one else could have a conversation, even in the next room :rolleyes:

Actually, this makes sense ITK. People rarely suffer an even loss over all the frequencies. You may have suffered some loss in the frequencies that normal human speech falls in but you may have no losses in the very high and very low ranges. Plus sometimes when we lose some frequencies, we have a hard time distinguishing individual sounds when there are a lot of them going on at once, as in the theater. Then it just sounds like a lot of loud noise! Anyway, I'm so glad you're going to check this out. I hope it's all normal but if not, getting an aid could change your life in a great way, girlfriend! I'll look forward to hearing how it went.:)

Seriously... MY MOTHER (bless her, I think) is going to be 75 this year but she's been "deaf" for like, ten years - I think most mothers become deaf after 4 kids and fifty years of motherhood.... ANYWAY... there's a family joke about "WHAT??"

So for Christmas, I got mom this card, and it's got an old-timey picture of a man & woman on it, typical stern-faced portrait from the 1890's, and the man says, "I just got this fancy new hearing-aid - it cost me $4000!!" and the woman says, "Oh yeah? What kind is it?" and he replies, "Twelve-thirty!"

"Twelve-thirty!" is our new family joke, and my mom still has that card - best darn two dollars and fifty cents I ever spent...:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom