HARD CREAM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raggs

Cook
AM CURRENTLY IN INDIA AND HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR DAIRY "MILK CREAM" AND HAVE FOUND A PLACE THAT SOMETIMES HAS THE CREAM THAT IS FAMILIAR; SOFT GOOD DISPERSION IN COFFEE AND OTHER FOODS ....BUT MOST TIMES THERE IS A" HARD CREAM" WHITE AND THE CONSISTENCY OF CREAM CHEESE BUT NOT AS SMOOTH, HAVE TRIED USING AND THE FAT SITS ON THE TOP OF COFFEE, WILL NOT BLEND WITH WATER, MILK HOT OR COLD, EVEN TRIED EGG YOLK TO RENDER CREAMY IN TEXTURE WITH NO LUCK, MELTING TURNS IT YELLOW......MY QUESTION IS WHAT IS THIS AND CAN IT BE ALTERED AND USED AS MILK CREAM.......?

I'm sorry, I can't help. I have never heard of this. I would probably just use coconut milk for coffee and a number of other things. Coconut cream might work too.

I have found that when my heavy cream is kept in the coldest part of my refrigerator it sometimes freezes a little and that changes the consistency to where the cream separates and the solid part is like butter. Knowing that people can make butter out of cream, this isn't surprising. I've used the solid part to cook with as if it were butter and yes, it's oily like butter and I can fry eggs in it. Sounds like that's what is happening with your cream as well. You can't fix it.

Edited: give it the smell test to make sure it's not spoiled. If it smells off, toss it out.

Last edited:
I have found that when my heavy cream is kept in the coldest part of my refrigerator it sometimes freezes a little and that changes the consistency to where the cream separates and the solid part is like butter. Knowing that people can make butter out of cream, this isn't surprising. I've used the solid part to cook with as if it were butter and yes, it's oily like butter and I can fry eggs in it. Sounds like that's what is happening with your cream as well. You can't fix it.

Edited: give it the smell test to make sure it's not spoiled. If it smells off, toss it out.
the supplier may be storing for 5 days or more and this would explain
the condition ....glad to hear that nothing can be done, saves losing more time and money ...thanks for the heads-up

Sounds like a Devonshire type cream, sometimes referred to as clotted cream. Some examples have close to 50% butter fat. You would definitely have a hard time mixing it in coffee for example and it will turn more yellow if it's left to sit out. Not interchangeable imo.

If you are buying the same brand of cream from the same source and finding lumps in some and not in others I would assume that the cream with lumps is older or not quite as fresh.

The lumps/chunks in the heavy cream are probably just clumps of thickened cream or fat.

If the cream doesn’t smell sour I would continue to use it.

You could try to strain out the clumps using a fine mesh sieve or whip it for a minute or two with a wire whisk.

I’m lazy so I would live with a few lumps unless it was for a special occasion.

I suppose you have to get used to drinking black coffee ;)

Can you get fresh milk? Straight from the cow? You could get the cream from the top and use that.

Doesn't answer your question, but might just be an idea

Can you get fresh milk? Straight from the cow? You could get the cream from the top and use that.

the cream is coming straight from the local dairy, dont know if they are offering a variation on milk cream / whey cream or storing improperly
thanks for the reply

the cream is coming straight from the local dairy, dont know if they are offering a variation on milk cream / whey cream or storing improperly
thanks for the reply

If you are buying the same brand of cream from the same source and finding lumps in some and not in others I would assume that the cream with lumps is older or not quite as fresh.

The lumps/chunks in the heavy cream are probably just clumps of thickened cream or fat.

If the cream doesn’t smell sour I would continue to use it.

You could try to strain out the clumps using a fine mesh sieve or whip it for a minute or two with a wire whisk.

I’m lazy so I would live with a few lumps unless it was for a special occasion.
thanks for the reply

Sounds like a Devonshire type cream, sometimes referred to as clotted cream. Some examples have close to 50% butter fat. You would definitely have a hard time mixing it in coffee for example and it will turn more yellow if it's left to sit out. Not interchangeable imo.
thanks for the reply .....

thanks for the reply

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom