Have you ever got manipulated or returned product from Amazon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
Recently I bought something from Amazon, which was "New" and not "Used".
The packaging box of the item was obviously manipulated, the original seal
was cut open and was resealed by a plastic tape, very obviously. Since it
wasn't food I did not bother returning, but I have contacted the customer
service and commented on the issue, they said they would resolve the issue
internally but refused to give me any feedback by email after investigation.

Their attitude was neutral and looked like being doubtful about my experience. But who can prove this to them when the postman just threw the package and left without anyone checked and signed in this busy world??

Have you ever got manipulated or returned product from Amazon?
Does it often happen? Is it common? Or was it just a massive
coincidence and I was so unlucky that I got a returned product as new?

Last edited:
I purchase items from Amazon frequently..

The only problem I have had was a chair with a broken frame.. Amazon sent me another and told me not to ship the broken one back.. I've not had a food item problem..

Ross

I purchase items from Amazon frequently..

The only problem I have had was a chair with a broken frame.. Amazon sent me another and told me not to ship the broken one back.. I've not had a food item problem..

Ross

I've had a similar experience. Received broken wine glasses. They shipped new ones and didn't want the others back.

Also, over the holidays in 2018 I bought an incorrect item and was charged $5 to return it.

I don’t know. I communicated with Amazon.

Yes, I understood that you purchased something on their site. However, everything sold there is not from them. Private sellers sell there too. People as well as companies.

DH orders a fair bit of stuff from Amazon. We have never had stuff that looked like it had been used. The only times stuff looked like it had been opened was when it shipped from the US. We assume it was due to Customs inspecting it. We live in Canada.

I order from Amazon all the time.

Ive received counterfeit items, mostly shoes. Wont order shoes from them anymore. Never anything that was opened.

I have been able to return everything but they give you are hard time if it wasn't shipped by them. Im Prime and order a lot so the have accepted all of my returns.

Yes, I understood that you purchased something on their site. However, everything sold there is not from them. Private sellers sell there too. People as well as companies.

I'm aware.

In answer to your earlier question, I don't know if the seller was Amazon or someone else. The entire transaction was through Amazon.

I've also had a product defect issue with an item I ordered from/via Amazon and was directed to communicate directly with the seller. The seller asked for a photo of the defect and then recommended I repurchase the item and they would issue a credit for it. That worked out fine too.

we do a fair bit with Amazon. even stupid stuff like Maxwell House coffee - our local Giant has every variety except the kind we like....

stuff happens. bought a wireless router specifically to get a USB port on it - the Amazon inventory sticker applied over the OEM shrink wrap had the 'right' model number, but the OEM box label and the product inside was not 'right'

bought an insignia - got a cat litter scooper . . .

to-date we've had no pushback from Amazon - on all 3-4 returns....so might not be typical.

I liked them better when they didn't collect sales tax.....

I always avoid return or refund especially if they are too friendly and don't want me to ship back the items. I always believe that they have a permanent record on their system for every return or refund to evaluate the credit of a customer so I always avoid return if the products don't cost a lot or I can tolerate. I don't know if I have been so wrong

I always avoid return or refund especially if they are too friendly and don't want me to ship back the items. I always believe that they have a permanent record on their system for every return or refund to evaluate the credit of a customer so I always avoid return if the products don't cost a lot or I can tolerate. I don't know if I have been so wrong

Ummm….. what?

Well, if someone takes it to an extreme, I suppose they could be considered a problem that needs to be solved. When my husband was in college, he worked in a furniture store warehouse. They had a policy that people could return anything for any reason. So people would buy expensive custom furniture and accessories and apparently have a party because they brought them back dirty and sometimes smelling of booze.

People who take advantage should be cut off. If you don't abuse it, and have a good reason for the returnit's fine. We've had Amazon Prime for several years, have returned things occasionally and have never had a problem.

Last edited:
Amazon is great about returns. Provided its within the 30 day window after delivery.

I had to eat a product because it was past the 30 days and the manufacturer wanted it back.
Its very difficult to remove an aquarium filter thats in use! I don't think my fish could have lasted that long.
So I had to buy a part (Amazon) to fix it.

I had an issue with something I bought when it failed after 8-10 months. I complained and the vendor contacted me, requested a photo of the failure and replaced it no charge.

It does, according to a web article, the writer said he spent over $1000 a month on Amazon but his return rate was about 20% and Amazon blocked/ restricted him

20% sounds high. Why did he have so many returns? Mine is probably 1-2% at most.

Back
Top Bottom