Complete Kitchen Reno - advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jade Emperor

Sous Chef
Hello dear DCers

So the time is approaching.
For background, my father passed away last year and I inherited his house, the family home where I grew up.
Option was obviously to sell for a substantial amount of money, or move in and return it to my family home. We moved in.
Now, this house was built in 1955, and only some areas have been renovated since, the kitchen not being one. I have a strong feeling that my father left this project for me, knowing that I am a chef.
The entire kitchen is going to be gutted and overhauled.
My budget is $50k.
I am flexible on some design elements and not so on others. One of my friends has suggested that I buy all the new appliances myself and have them ready to be installed, rather than having a project manager do it.
Are you able to offer any other ideas, suggestions or advice? Considering that this is going to be a large and expensive project I would like to have my eyes open all the way through.
It’s highly unlikely that this kitchen will ever be renovated again .

I'm sure I'll have more to say once I think about it for a while, but I would strongly encourage you to hire a project manager to help you plan and execute the renovation, including installing the appliances. When we renovated our kitchen, we had electrical capacity increased, more outlets installed, and water lines added, in addition to custom cabinets and counters ordered, delivered and installed. Installation of all these elements has to follow a specific order and imo, someone who does this work all the time is best suited to make sure everything that's needed to complete it in a timely manner is ordered and delivered, any necessary permits obtained, the various workers scheduled and other details taken care of.

Last edited:
Awesome sauce advice there @GotGarlic
Thanks heaps
Just to clarify, I am not doing this DIY, neither myself or my husband is physically capable at this moment.
There will definitely be a project manager

Last edited:
You're welcome. I wasn't thinking that you'd be doing it yourselves. I saw what your friend said and I thought it wasn't a great idea 😉

We hired a guy who was the project manager and did the carpentry, tile, floor and backsplash. He brought in the plumber, electrician, countertop people, etc and coordinated all their work. A definite plus.

That doesn't mean you don't get to approve all appliances and the work!

Nothing should be done without your specific approval - and none of this "we need a decision right now!"

15% of final costs should be held back until working approval. And that should be understood from the beginning and approved in writing. These guys want you to sign a contract - and I totally approve - but with your additions into the contract.

yes, it will make it more difficult but a really good contractor will sign and stand behind his work.

which should also include a time-line! Unbelievable the 6 week jobs that can turn into a 6 month nightmare.

Hello dear DCers

So the time is approaching.
For background, my father passed away last year and I inherited his house, the family home where I grew up.
Option was obviously to sell for a substantial amount of money, or move in and return it to my family home. We moved in.
Now, this house was built in 1955, and only some areas have been renovated since, the kitchen not being one. I have a strong feeling that my father left this project for me, knowing that I am a chef.
The entire kitchen is going to be gutted and overhauled.
My budget is $50k.
I am flexible on some design elements and not so on others. One of my friends has suggested that I buy all the new appliances myself and have them ready to be installed, rather than having a project manager do it.
Are you able to offer any other ideas, suggestions or advice? Considering that this is going to be a large and expensive project I would like to have my eyes open all the way through.
It’s highly unlikely that this kitchen will ever be renovated again .
My first and, in my opinion, is to pay attention to lighting sources. NO LIGHT behind your back. Worst thing ever. I've been having that challenge with our current kitchen and doesn't appear to have a solution without ripping the kitchen to shreds. We're not at the age or $$ where that is feasible, so I do the best I can.

Last edited:
My first and, in my opinion, is to pay attention to lighting sources. NO LIGHT behind your back. Worst thing ever. I've been having that challenge with our current kitchen and doesn't appear to have a solution without ripping the kitchen to shreds. We're not at the age or $$ where that is feasible, so I do the best I can.
Are there any cabinets that you might place lights under? We found that very helpful and not too costly either. Just needed an electrician to drop a box in the corner that had room for same.

That would be my suggestion too. If you are doing the reno's then now is the time to think about under-cabinet lighting. It's great.
When I did my kitchen reno's it was not an option to change ceiling fixtures but I did have an under-cabinet one that the electrician installed the connection behind the wall to an existing wire. Worked great and I was very, very happy! When it gets dark around 4-5 pm it is much appreciated.

Lighting is important. Most kitchens have ceiling light fixtures. They are bound to be in the wrong position to give proper lighting in some parts of your kitchen. I have an LED light fixture under the cabinet at my primary prep area. That gives me direct unblocked lighting where I need it most. There are a lot of options for under cabinet lighting, including rechargeable battery powered lights for areas where wiring is not readily available. If money is not an issue, you can hire an electrician to wire in all your work lights around the kitchen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom