Hurricane Florence Is Coming!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The news here (BBC) this morning said that "Florence" has dropped to category 2. The reporter was a little non-committal about whether this is a good thing and I'm not sure whether it is or not..

My thoughts are with you

The lower category means there is lower wind speeds, but that's all. The storm surge has a lot of momentum, and there will still be the same amount of rain.

On insurance. In hurricane country, you have two kinds of insurance. There is regular Homeowner's Insurance, and Federal Flood Insurance. Homeowner's insurance does not cover flood damage, just wind damage from a hurricane. Federal Flood Insurance covers flood damage. You do not get penalized if you don't leave.

Injuries would be a health insurance issue.

CD

Having grown up in Houston (barely north of I-10) and experiencing Alicia as well as other storms, this is one of the first things I do as the storm starts to come ashore. We were in Hurricane Jeanne a few years ago while in Bonita Springs, FL, for a wedding and my wife asked why I was filling up the tub as full as it would get. When I told her we could use the ice bucket to fill up the toilet tank so it would be flushable she saw the purpose.

I'd prefer to live in a hurricane zone over a tornado, blizzard or earthquake zone. At least you can see a hurricane coming from a long way away. Sudden changes in weather can cause blizzards, tornadoes are way too sudden and earthquakes? Yeah, not much warning there at all.

If you live North of I-10 in Houston now, you are told NOT to evacuate, so that the millions of people South of I-10 can get out. My family members down there pretty much have to ride out the storm.

I-45 becomes a giant one-way street for evacuations -- Northbound traffic only, on both sides of the highway. The Southbound entrance ramps are shut down. Other Northbound freeways do the same thing.

CD

If you live North of I-10 in Houston now, you are told NOT to evacuate, so that the millions of people South of I-10 can get out. My family members down there pretty much have to ride out the storm.

I-45 becomes a giant one-way street for evacuations -- Northbound traffic only, on both sides of the highway. The Southbound entrance ramps are shut down. Other Northbound freeways do the same thing.

CD

Considering the flooding that happened in the area where I lived when Harvey parked his butt over Houston (not to mention the Tax Day floods), I'd leave anyway. I grew up at the Clay Rd./Hwy. 6 intersection. Almost the entire Bear Creek subdivision, as well as much of the rest of that area, was underwater for a long, long time. Friends in Deerfield Village had to launch their boat from their driveway to help neighbors whose houses were inundated.

Unfortunately, being inside the Addicks-Satsuma dam area means you have no guarantees when they start releasing water.

It's over here. We had some rain and a little bit of extra breeze this morning, but it's just cloudy now. And our monthly neighborhood cocktail party is on for tonight [emoji38]
Screenshot_20180914-130624.jpg

It's over here...And our monthly neighborhood cocktail party is on for tonight.
Glad to hear you weathered the storm just fine, GG. And from what you have told us of your neighborhood in the past, I bet you would have had that cocktail party anyway, even if it required guy wires strung between the houses and everyone venturing outside wearing weighted belts. ;) After all, the show must go on! Or, in this case, the party.

Sister & her husband are safe, she's busy checking houses with her staff for the realty company she works for.

Talked to DD yesterday they have no clue as to when they will be able to go home. Massive flooding in all of SE NC. At least they are safe in Ohio.

Us here in EC, it was windy more than rainy. Will be again today. Went and checked on our bridge yesterday and it hadn't flooded. In fact, it looked practically normal.

You all won't believe this - the host and hostess bought a school bus the other day - he's going to convert it for camping. So yesterday they drove it around the neighborhood picking people up for the party :ROFLMAO: We didn't take advantage because walking four blocks home would kill my feet. Plus it was pretty last-minute and I wasn't quite ready to go when they were driving around. They're talking about taking a bus load of people on a wine-country tour [emoji38]

CG, my neighbors two doors over and across the street and I were talking Thursday about getting together even if the party had been canceled ;) We find a way.

Last edited:
30 years ago. "Batton down the hatches!" No evacuation demands. 200 dead.
Today: So far, tragically, 6 people died. Over a million made to evacuate and did.

Last edited:
30 years ago. "Batton down the hatches!" No evacuation demands. 200 dead.
Today: So far, tragically, 6 people died. Over a million made to evacuate and did.

It is up to 11 people now, and it is going to climb. :(

CD

It's over here. We had some rain and a little bit of extra breeze this morning, but it's just cloudy now. And our monthly neighborhood cocktail party is on for tonight [emoji38]
View attachment 31507
Glad to read that. Enjoy the party.

Sister & her husband are safe, she's busy checking houses with her staff for the realty company she works for.

Talked to DD yesterday they have no clue as to when they will be able to go home. Massive flooding in all of SE NC. At least they are safe in Ohio.

Us here in EC, it was windy more than rainy. Will be again today. Went and checked on our bridge yesterday and it hadn't flooded. In fact, it looked practically normal.
Glad to read that you and your family are safe.

For anyone wondering why some people refuse to evacuate:

41572286_10216799792487579_3573035589064196096_n.jpg

I'm not going to say that there is no truth in that cartoon, because poverty plays a a significant role in being able to evacuate, but it is not the biggest reason.

The biggest reasons always have been, and always will be, reasons people make up to justify making a bad decision.

Of course, it is not black and white... there are grey areas. If you live 30 miles inland, you don't really know what will happen. But, people who can see the ocean/gulf from their front porch choose to stay, and that is just plain stupid.

So, it is a combination of inability to leave, and poor decision making that leads to these unnecessary deaths.

Now, the thousands killed by Maria in Puerto Rico didn't have much of a choice as far as evacuating. They were on an island, it is impossible to evacuate millions of people from an island. My parents lived there for three years, so I know what Puerto Ricans face with a hurricane. (Not to mention that over 50-percent of Americans don't even know that Puerto Ricans are American citizens).

But, I can guarantee that some of the people who were rescued in the last two days, and some who died, were just stubborn or didn't grasp the reality of the dangers of staying (even though they were told).

CD

Last edited:
How much is catastrophic flood insurance per year? In hurricane alley, it may top $1500 per year?

Federal Flood insurance is actually pretty cheap. Commercial Homeowner's Insurance for my sister's house is easily $2,000 a year, but her Federal Flood Insurance is around 400 bucks a year. My basic Homeowner's is $1,800 a year (thanks to hail), but I don't need flood insurance where I live. If my neighborhood floods, it's time to build an ark. :ohmy::LOL:

With big storms and flooding getting more common, thanks to a "hoax," those rates are going to have to go up. The Flood Insurance program is losing money by the hundreds of millions. Being a government program, they don't need to make a profit, but they can't continue to lose this much money in the long term. In the past, the good years balanced out the bad years, but the bad years are starting to be every year.

Or, we can have another tax cut, which fixes every problem. :rolleyes:

CD

Last edited:
This little bit is about a hurricane, but not Florence.

15 years ago today, my mom, our roommate, and I were getting ready or another hurricane - Isabel. We got walloped really bad here. No flooding in our neighborhood but LOTS of trees down and no power for at least a week. The hotel Mom worked at let us stay there as soon as they got power, which was about 24 hours after Isabel was done, mainly because the hotel was 3/4 full of linemen and electrical workers. They let us stay there no charge - so Mom could work. My sister & her husband came in and stayed with his sister (she & her family live in Kinston now), and our roommate stayed in one of the ICU waiting rooms so she could use her nebulizer. I let DD and DS go with their other grandmother and grandfather to Fayetteville (she was 14 at the time and he was 17).

In April of 2012 my wife and I moved to the beach house we built on Long Island in the Bahamas. We were on the Atlantic side of the island, 100 feet from the high tide line, and the house was built a on sand dune about 40 feet above the line.

In October of 2012, Sandy came down on us as a strong category 3 hurricane with winds at 125 mph as it gave us a direct hit. We had the house built with hurricane glass, extra strong roof and siding. We hunkered down and rode it out. We were fortunate in that despite taking a direct hit from the center of the storm, it was moving at nearly 25 mph and came and went in just 6 hours. All power was out in the entire island, but we only lost a half dozen shingles off the roof, and no leaks because they put down snow/ice shield under the shingles specifically for that reason. Toughest part of the cleanup for us was just the several pounds of beach sand that found it's way in around the 2 pairs of sliding glass doors on the ocean side of the house, ending up packed into the door tracks and rollers.

With no phones or power, we had no way initially of knowing how the rest of the island fared outside of our little 5 home enclave. The next day we decided to take a chance and drive north to look around. The highway on our end of the island was open, aside from some downed power lines, and with the generating station shut down to facilitate repairs, that was not a problem. About 10 miles north we found one local gas station was open, and they were pumping gas straight out of the tanker truck. We were 3rd in line, got gassed up (started with just 1/4 tank).

Looking pretty good at that point since we now knew that we had enough gas to get back home again. Then we got to the Conch Bar where we usually hung out a lot, and they were open. Liz had made a bunch of sandwiches, they actually had Kalik (local Bahamian beer) on ice. We spent the afternoon there visiting and getting the news from other parts of the island as folks dropped in. They were typically closed Sundays, but they got power back on Saturday, 2 days after the storm, so we headed there to hang out. Ours didn't come back until Sunday afternoon while we were sitting at the bar. The last of the power was restored in about 2 weeks in the areas where they had to replace a number of poles. They only had one truck for setting power poles, and it broke down, delaying the recovery effort.

In all it was not as bad as it could have been had the storm been moving slowly like Florence is, or like Joaquin did the year after we moved back to the states. Joaquin sat there stalled for 2 full days right on top of the island with 140-150 mph winds. It devastated our island and several others in the Southern and Central Bahamas much the same as Maria did to Puerto Rico, and it took more than a year to recover from that one.

We now live on the eastern plains of Colorado, tornado country, and I'd rather be here any day than in the path of any hurricane.

Back
Top Bottom