I have a pizza question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadfix

Chef Extraordinaire
This one Italian restaurant we used to frequent serves pizzas where the entire topping slides off the crust if you're not careful. I've even heard the owner tell take-out patrons not to tilt the box for this reason. Is this normal?
This is one reason we don't order pizza from these people any more. Separating slices was always messy.
I've even commented about this on a local restaurant review site but most other reviewers seem to dismiss this and claim their pizzas are the best in the area. I don't get it.

Thoughts?

Sounds like too much sauce to me too. If the toppings slide off the crust, it's not the best pizza in town!

maybe they add too much sauce??
if thier flavor is yummy & you like thier pizza, i'd buy. even if it was a hassle to consume what with gloppy cheese & whatnot. maybe with a fork.
i hate the owner (former landlord of mine) of my favorite pizza joint, love his pizza, so i'm a patron. his pizza's so greasy when i watch my buddy's kiddo, she asks me to blot her kiddo's pizza.
found a restaurant not 3 minutes from there owned by is brother, better pizza.

When I used to eat pizza more, I used to run into that once in a while.... very slippery toppings. Not so much when you were just transporting the pizza, but when you were taking a bite or trying to separate a slice. I blamed it on the cheese. Some places use a mixture of mozzarella and provolone and the cheese seems to melt back together after cutting, or it doesn't entirely break away after taking a bite, as a pizza with straight up mozzarella. So when the slice pulls away from your mouth or the rest of the pie, the toppings are dragged off if you're not careful.
And then again, some places put some ingredients under the cheese, especially if you are getting several meat toppings. This of course could put a layer of grease, errr, meat juices, between the dough and the cheese. That could add to the problem.
Or maybe there's just a lot of sauce on it :LOL:

I would rather have too much sauce then not enough.

I hate pizza that has no real sauce to it.

+1 on the sauce (and Cheese) being the favorite part.

my crust and bottom crust both go to the dogs

If you let it cool a bit before serving that might help. Of course if you like your pizza hot then that will not be a good solution for you. Also it will only help a little. it will not completely solve the problem.

A couple of thoughts....

1) Too much sauce (Did anyone mention that? :-p)
2) Cheese too hot, not set up (Not very likely, but possible)
3) This gets my vote.... Cheese not properly up onto the crust, which basically leaves it "floating" on the sauce (even if there isn't too much sauce)

Probably tastes really nice, but I agree that too much stuff on top or anything that could make it hard to eat is annoying.

Here's another negative reviewer on the same pizza joint, although this person's review is based on a single experience, I assume.
To be fair to this establishment there are over 20 very positive reviews and just 2 negatives, including mine.

The Worst Pizza I've Ever Had!!!
1.0-stars.png

10/23/2006 Posted by ****
I read the raving reviews about this so-called New York style pizza and was really excited to try it. I live about 10 blocks from the restaurant yet it took over an hour to deliver my over-priced pizza when I was quoted a much less wait time. I get the pizza and the crust was soaked and soggy, not thin & crispy as reviewed. The pizza wasn't even warm and the cheese was like plastic and it kept on sliding off the pizza--it wasn't melted ON the pizza at all! It was rather a big glob of hard cheese and toppings. This is hands down the worst pizza I have ever had. Obviously these people who are raving about this pizza have never had pizza! I'll take Dominos anyday over this joint!
Pros: None
Cons: Cold, wet & soggy pizza with hard plastic cheese, overpriced

That was a very good description from that negative reviewer. My mind immediately flashed back to school pizza when they said "...--it wasn't melted ON the pizza at all! It was rather a big glob of hard cheese and toppings...." The only good thing about that pizza is we were getting pizza in school, which was pretty new at the time.

oven temp too low, too much sauce, poor mix of cheese, and possibly even a poor crust.

One of my fave pizza places puts the cheese down first then runs rings of spicy sauce around the pizza. Works and tastes great! Crust is nice and crispy and the pie is saucy without being runny.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom